Jim Harbaugh and the Blueprint for Buildling a Program

And you are unable to separate the difference that Jim Harbaugh is a good head coach that commands and earns respect, while dooley is not and just expected respect because of his title.

I never compared Dooley and Harbough as coaches. 2 totally different comparisons. You have no proof that Harbough would have done any better than Dooley or vice versa. All we can actually compare is the state of the programs.

Btw bud...thanks for confirming my pt though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Oregon gets scared easily...I've seen it. They don't know toughness because they don't even have ghetto in Portland. I know...I lived at 17th and burnside for 6 years through the Joey Harrington years. Ducks don't know tough. You get in their face and stare them in eye, they see you have no fear what so ever and they get nervous, because they are not used to it. You can see the nervousness in their bones. Deep inside. I told them Joey Harrington wouldn't do anything in Detroit...he'd never seen a ghetto before.

You realize that a lot of the players arent from oregon, right?

Reactions: 1 person
As the Vols go into Oregon this week, only a few of us expect our team to come out with a "W." The most important thing to me this weekend is how hard we play. Do our guys play like their lives depend on it, even when it's the 4th Quarter and they are down by 14? Or do they give up the moment things look bad?

In my 20+ years of watching college football, I've seen few coaches that were more impressive in building a program than Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. Very few people were paying attention during the first few years, when the Cardinal went 4-8 and 5-7. And yet, I've never seen more impressive 4-8 or 5-7 squads than Harbaugh's Stanford teams. They might not have been "good", but that team believed it could win every game and never gave up. Even when they lost by three touchdowns, they looked like winners.

In Year 1, that 4-8 Stanford squad managed to upset #2 USC that year 24-23 on the road. They also narrowly lost (38-36) to a pretty good TCU team. In Year 2, they went into Autzen and played the 10-3 Ducks close. They also surprised an eventual 9-4 Oregon State team in the opener. In terms of talent, Stanford dramatically trailed the rest of the Pac-10, but the players never seemed to believe that. Eventually, we all know that in Year 4, Harbaugh finished 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win.

Harbaugh's 4-8 and 5-7 Cardinal teams were similar record-wise to our Vol squads under Dooley, but they were world's apart in how they played. Harbaugh's guys played till the bitter end and had all the confidence in the world. Dooley's guys gave up at the first hint of adversity and didn't care.

What I like about the Vols this year: our guys seem to believe they can win again. Butch Jones has instilled confidence in them. The odds are against us, but what I really hope to see is that our guys keep battling no matter how bad things look. I want our guys to win, but if we come out with a 21 point loss, and our guys fought till the end, I'll be happy.
I'll get flamed for this, but Vandy has played with an entirely different mindset and attitude since Franklin took over. They impress me with their effort, and I am no Vandy fan.

I never compared Dooley and Harbough as coaches. 2 totally different comparisons. You have no proof that Harbough would have done any better than Dooley or vice versa. All we can actually compare is the state of the programs.

Btw bud...thanks for confirming my pt though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah that guy coaching the 49ers right now would not have done better than Dooley. There is absolutely no proof of it. :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
As a young person I agree that younger people are more idealistic in many ways and become discouraged much more easily. They lack the discipline of emotion of older people most of the time. NOT all the time.
It is just a fact of life that younger people are more ignorant and impressionable because of lack of experience in the real world. Being well read and having a high IQ and feeling like you know more than most people because you go to college doesn't make you wise.
I too was vehement in the defense of what I thought I believed when I was younger. I later found that some of the things I believed were just ignorant, though I never thought that would happen at the time.

That said, there are morons of all ages.

harbaugh wasnt exactly handed "warrior geeks" when he took over that program. imho when harbaugh took over they were more geek than warrior. up until 4 years ago stanford was an easy target for us...probably the perrennial third worst team in the (then) pac10 ahead or washington state and oregon state. harbaugh turned them into warriors. mostly they were unheralded players. a lot of 3 stars...some 2 stars. how he got them to improve so dramatically i cannot exactly say. it is no doubt some big secret, but the one thing i did notice is that in the last 4 years the physical conditioning aspect of stanfords players has improved dramatically. so im thinking they came up with a more effective strategy with respect to weight training and physical conditioning...thats gotta be part of it because thats how we improved also.

I understand ur pt, but the difference between smart 2*s with great work ethic is totally different than a bunch of talented kids that were promised the NFL. Ones that r on their 3rd coach in 3yrs, and just dealt with kiffins crap.

Another major difference is the microscope that the coach of Tennessee is under from day 1 vs the coach of Stanford when Harbough came in. The pressure Harbough was self inflicted cause that's the type of guy he is, which is great, but the pressure at UT is just simply put...crazy and coming from all sides.

Also we can't forget that he was getting Stanford there while the PAC 12 was still top heavy, and not where it is today. UTs schedule has been very very tough the last 4 seasons, so it's tough to rebuild during all that.

Last edited:
I understand ur pt, but the difference between smart 2*s with great work ethic is totally different than a bunch of talented kids that were promised the NFL. Ones that r on their 3rd coach in 3yrs, and just dealt with kiffins crap.

Another major difference is the microscope that the coach of Tennessee is under from day 1 vs the coach of Stanford when Harbough came in. The pressure Harbough was self inflicted cause that's the type of guy he is, which is great, but the pressure at UT is just simply put...crazy and coming from all sides.

Also we can't forget that he was getting Stanford there while the PAC 12 was still top heavy, and not where it is today. UTs schedule has been very very tough the last 4 seasons, so it's tough to rebuild during all that.

1. "fire the coach" type programs cant stay on top for long. they keep sliding down the maypole. the problem with firing the coach is that whoever made the bad decision to hire that coach will generally be given the task of hiring the next coach. the ducks have only fired 2 coaches in the last 20 years as i recall. both by kelly. and even then it wasnt for incompetence but because kelly wanted to revamp the defensive strategy from a 4-3 to a hybrid 3-4.

".....while the pac10/12 was still topheavy". the pac12 still is top heavy. i am watching UCLA pound nebraska right now...the money was on nebraska in that one i believe and both are top 25.

if your team has depth you never need to rebuild. i have come to the conclusion that depth is acquire not by recruiting savants but by training conditioning and nutrition. yes nutrition. when chip kelly went to the NFL he took two people off our staff with him. the defensive line coach and the nutritionist.

VN Store

Back