Jimmy Hyams Retiring.......

I feel completely opposite. The professional presentation of Sports Talk has stood out to me in this growing sea of Pat McAfees and wannabe "personality brands" that have devoured sports media. Hot takes, melodramatic speaking, or talking loud or long to make a point are a dime a dozen these days. It's actually refreshing to get an even-handed approach to sports conversation and news - even if it's sometimes a bit behind. I've always found it nice to have something that managed to stay even-keeled against all that noise.

I mean, I listened to a few minutes of "Chuck and Chernoff" and they were talking about the Knicks "not having balls anymore," making fun of another show for having no listeners, and talking about people getting smoked. They were also playing clips from players speaking and making fun of what they said. I don't really see the appeal of that kind of commentary.

The 2-3 times I've listened to "Chuck and Chernoff" were pathetic..............had to turn the dial.

Reactions: Voltopia
I'm in the minority; but I've always liked Jimmy. I've met him in passing a couple times and he was a really nice guy.

I'm hoping he finally admits he's a Vol fan. He has proudly worn his impartial reporting badge for years but you can tell fandom has crept in. He now often refers to the Vols as "we" and other little things that he didn't used to do years ago.

Jimmy has a unique and remarkable story. Hopefully one day he shares it. Thanks Jimmy for doing your best and sharing your talents both in print and radio. Prayers for a blessed retirement.
What’s remarkable about being an LSU homer who doesn’t give a hoot about UT despite working the UT beat for 30 plus years?

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I'm in the minority; but I've always liked Jimmy. I've met him in passing a couple times and he was a really nice guy.

I'm hoping he finally admits he's a Vol fan. He has proudly worn his impartial reporting badge for years but you can tell fandom has crept in. He now often refers to the Vols as "we" and other little things that he didn't used to do years ago.
Sorry-he doesn’t get to bandwagon UT

He was professional and verified his information rather than just run with anything for the sake of being first. We need more in the media like that these days IMO.

Here's a legitimate Thank you, Jimmy.
I agree for print, but radio is entertainment and not hard news.

Reactions: UTwild82
Brian Brohm has accepted the role of his replacement to be announced soon.

Well, that's a relief... I thought I heard a rumor that Bobby Petrino would switch jobs again and ride into the studio on a motorcycle with Sinan the Squirrel

Sports animal needs to use this as an opportunity to update their trash format. They need to hire broadcasters prioritizing sense of humor and broadcasting talent above sports knowledge. They can learn the sports part on the job. Shows need to be engaging and entertaining. None of them currently are. And quit taking so many damn calls. The same 10 inbred hillbillies call every day asking different versions of the same banal questions. Rolling calls is a cop out. It's what you do if you're a host who is untalented and has nothing to say. Listen to Chuck and Chernoff in Atlanta and then try to listen to 10 minutes of Sports Animal. It is glaringly worse.

yea just what we need more clowns on that don’t know anything about sports.🙄

What’s remarkable about being an LSU homer who doesn’t give a hoot about UT despite working the UT beat for 30 plus years?

Uh, that's John Adams, my dude. The guy who "writes" for the News-Sentinel.

We're not talking about John Adams. We're talking about Jimmy Hyams. I'm pretty sure Jimmy is a Vol.

And before you say it, the "John" in "John and Jimmy" is also not John Adams. That's John Wilkerson. Who is also a Vol. And is also not John Adams.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back