Joe Milton tonight

Very true. It was a good performance and I hope he does well. In saying that, it was also against a lot of guys that probably won't make the team, rookies or practice squad guys. I definitely wanna see how he does against ones and two's. It's also a matter of if New England carries 2 or 3 QB's. He could end up on the practice squad, but hopefully they carry 3. Right now he's running 3rd, at best.

The better he plays and the looks, the better it is for CJH and his QB system.
The announcers sure wanted Joe last night. I think they talked him up more than any of the other QB's

Most likely either Joe or Bailey Zappee is going to be cut. They already have a backup QB and probably won't keep 4 QBs. I think Zappee got more time because he has been there a while and played in some games. But in a small sample size, Joe outplayed Zappee.
I think I heard one announcer say something like they should keep Joe, they already know what they'd get out of Zappee

Reactions: Zues1 and WillisWG
lol
He hit a couple of dump off passes and didn’t miss a wide open receiver in a preseason game and you know for sure what the next 10 years look like
It has nothing to do with this preseason game. I've been saying this for months, even when people were saying he wouldn't get drafted, I told them they were insane.

He has more raw physical talent than just about any QB in the NFL. He has, without question, the strongest arm in the NFL and he runs a 4.4 40 yd. And he does so at 6'5 235 lbs. That alone is going to put him on NFL franchises for years to come. He is simply oozing with talent.

What will decide his fate between being a career back-up and a starting caliber QB is his accuracy and decision making ability. From a decision making standpoint, he was pretty good in college. Not outstanding by any means, but he made the correct read the vast majority of the time and did a good job not turning the ball over. His main issue was accuracy and touch, which never really saw any significant improvement.

Last edited:
Joe is the Fan Favorite in NE! They loved it when he came in. I liked Joe a lot at UT also, wish He could have had better support. Lots of drops, and with Mays out, too much pressure.

It has nothing to do with this preseason game. I've been saying this for months, even when people were saying he wouldn't get drafted, I told them they were insane.

He has more raw physical talent than just about any QB in the NFL. He has, without question, the strongest arm in the NFL and he runs a 4.4 40 yd. And he does so at 6'5 235 lbs. That alone is going to put him on NFL franchises for years to come. He is simply oozing with talent.

What will decide his fate between being a career back-up and a starting caliber QB is his accuracy and decision making ability. From a decision making standpoint, he was pretty good in college. Not outstanding by any means, but he made the correct read the vast majority of the time and did a good job not turning the ball over. His main issue was accuracy and touch, which never really saw any significant improvement.

I hope he does well.

A pretty impressive display of touch by Milton, considering his reputation.
No one will agree with this, but I’ve always said I think he would fit better in a Pro Style system. He has great talent and with years to study I could see him getting a few starts over his career.

He is the strongest arm talent to ever come out of this school.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
lol his TD throw was everything frustrating about him at TN. His WR has a wide open lane to the endzone and he throws a dart behind him, so the WR has to turn around and get it. Luckily he's an NFL WR and in a ton of space so he was able to finish the play.

Just reminded me of how many time he threw it behind Squirrel in 2023

His arm talent is unquestionably uber elite. His stature is also pretty much your prototypical "build a QB" size. If I was going to cool things a bit he is not a 4.4 guy. He didn't run at the combine and at his pro day ran a 4.56. Make no mistake for that stature that's still impressive.

Upshot is I don't think anyone has ever questioned the physical skills. The raw material all there and in ample amounts. If the light bulb can come on in the right situation he could really make a career out of this thing.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Carp
Talking heads kept repeating the coach's game plan for preseason games. Have to wonder why Mayo chose to save Joe for last. Did he hope he'd impress as he did? Players really seem to like Joe too. Call me IMPRESSED at Joe's 'first night out'.
PS When Jerod was asked in post game what players exceeded expectations his answer was 'JOE"

There’s no better organization to be a 6th round former Michigan QB than New England. I believe Joe has a chance to make it and I hope that if he does pick up some hype, the media doesn’t miss the comparison.

lol his TD throw was everything frustrating about him at TN. His WR has a wide open lane to the endzone and he throws a dart behind him, so the WR has to turn around and get it. Luckily he's an NFL WR and in a ton of space so he was able to finish the play.

So Squirrel is not NFL caliber? Just funnin you

There was nothing wrong with that throw. It’s because Joe is on the Bad List with this fanbase that everything he does gets hyper-scrutinized.

Small sample size, but Milton did look good. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come. If he continues to look good throughout the preseason, there is a chance he sticks with a roster somewhere if not New England. I hope he does, it would be a shame to see someone with so much physical talent not be able to take advantage in a financial way.

I’m not ready to jump on the “he is going to win a starting job” bandwagon yet, but I do sincerely hope he makes an NFL roster. I think that he will.

I’m also pulling for Hooker to do well, but he needs to learn that a QB in the NFL should avoid contact when possible. He is going to get killed if he doesn’t.

Last edited:
The dog is reminding me that we're seeing the second coming of Doug Williams. Nathan is adamant about it.

Small sample size, but Milton did look good. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come. If he continues to look good throughout the preseason, there is a chance he sticks with a roster somewhere if not New England. I hope he does, it would be a shame to see someone with so much physical talent not be able to take advantage in a financial way.

I’m not ready to jump on the “he is going to win a starting job” bandwagon yet, but I do sincerely hope he makes an NFL roster. I think that he will.

I’m also pulling for Hooker to do well, but he needs to learn that a QB in the NFL should avoid contact when possible. He is going to get killed if he doesn’t.
Top 90 qb in the NFL might get him on a roster or a practice squad slot. 🤞 Go Joe!

Very true. It was a good performance and I hope he does well. In saying that, it was also against a lot of guys that probably won't make the team, rookies or practice squad guys. I definitely wanna see how he does against ones and two's. It's also a matter of if New England carries 2 or 3 QB's. He could end up on the practice squad, but hopefully they carry 3. Right now he's running 3rd, at best.

The better he plays and the looks, the better it is for CJH and his QB system.
If he is the 3 and goes to practice squad, it would be hard to fathom him not being signed to a roster spot elsewhere.

VN Store

Back