Johnny Majors thinks UT will be more disciplined under Butch Jones

Still schooling Tyler Bray (and his legion of fans) on the many aspects that are involved in being a winning quarterback.

“His practices have great tempo, they’re organized to the hilt and there’s nobody standing around,” Majors said. “I used to have a saying to the coaches who worked for me: ‘Coach on the run, talk on the move.’
I had to laugh at this since Majors spent most of his time 20 feet + up in the coaching tower above the field. :p

Last edited:
He left just after halftime during a game DD coached. Actions speak louder than words.

Coach Major was to drunk to stay the third quarter he would leave at halftime, still running around asking what happen to Dools.:)

Im not running coach majors down i was right there with him in the good old days in the 70s and 80s the biggest problem on game day was would we be able to sneak in all the whiskey we could drink during the game if you ran out of whiskey before the game was over you would get a head start on traffic.

Dooley did want to bring Saban style but I would tell people that you can be an sob if you win like Saban but if not it wears thin quick.

Bama fan from day 1 he was trying to be like Nick even down to the funning looking hat that nick wears sometime.:)

So why didn't he put greater emphasis on recruiting and why didn't his practices have great tempo, with no players standing around and why didn't his teams put a premium on leadership and why didn't he deal with his prima donnas, like Bray, with the touch of a jack hammer and why didn't we hear and see a lot more about the process?

Or, did you mean he just likes to stand in front of the mirror and dress like his favorite SEC coach?

Lay off Johnny. He cain't hep it - he's a Whiskeypalian. Besides, I think he coached better drunk.

When Lincoln was warned about how Grant went on a wiskey binge during the Vicksburg siege, Lincoln said, "If he can whip Lee I'll send him a case."

Reactions: 1 person
So why didn't he put greater emphasis on recruiting and why didn't his practices have great tempo, with no players standing around and why didn't his teams put a premium on leadership and why didn't he deal with his prima donnas, like Bray, with the touch of a jack hammer and why didn't we hear and see a lot more about the process?

Or, did you mean he just likes to stand in front of the mirror and dress like his favorite SEC coach?

Not sure I understand What you are trying to argue.

He was hired because he was a Saban protege. He even said his coaching style was more like saban than his dad. Ok he failed to coach like saban and we get that. But his intention was to model his program after Saban.

Not sure I understand What you are trying to argue.

He was hired because he was a Saban protege. He even said his coaching style was more like saban than his dad. Ok he failed to coach like saban and we get that. But his intention was to model his program after Saban.

On his next gig, maybe Dooley will leave the impersonations to Frank Caliendo. He's better at it.

I think Dooley missed out on the Vol concept ,that the Big Orange is one big family. Players want to be part of a family,we want our family to do good.And when your family is behind you , it's a real comfort to everyone it makes winning sweeter and losing more tolerable.

All the Majors hates need to look back.
CJM. is the last coach that rebuilt the TN.

Fulmer improved on CJM success for a while then let the program slip to mediocrity.

Kiffin did bring excitement back to the program before he bolted in the middle of the night for his dream job.

Dooley was simply in way over his head.

Jones appears to be on the right track. Hopefully he will be the 1st coach since Majors to make the program relevant again. Yes Fulmer won a NC then got lazy and damaged the program badly.

All the Majors hates need to look back.
CJM. is the last coach that rebuilt the TN.

Fulmer improved on CJM success for a while then let the program slip to mediocrity.

Kiffin did bring excitement back to the program before he bolted in the middle of the night for his dream job.

Dooley was simply in way over his head.

Jones appears to be on the right track. Hopefully he will be the 1st coach since Majors to make the program relevant again. Yes Fulmer won a NC then got lazy and damaged the program badly.

I agree with the above post completely, especially about how Coach Majors was the last guy to rebuild our program. He was "brought home" to do so if I remember correctly. Majors' departure - and Fulmer's entrance as HC - was somewhat controversial, but Phil definitely built on a solid foundation and took us higher.

I love Coach Fulmer, but I really think we are in the mess we're in right now mostly because of him (Mike Hamilton deserves a great deal of blame, too). Fulmer's slide into mediocrity was obvious and arguably began after the loss to LSU in the 2001 SEC Championship Game (remember how we knocked out Rohan Davey and then made LSU's back-up look like the greatest QB since Joe Montana?) A couple of 9 and 10 win seasons, that included losses in the most important games, saved him toward the end and extended his tenure, but Coach Fulmer should really have been let go sooner.

Today, we've got Coach Butch Jones who definitely seems to pass the initial test in transforming the organizational culture at UT back into a winning attitude. So far, he seems to recruit well ... and I get the impression that he actually knows how to coach. We'll see how it all translates in terms of wins and losses, but I have a good feeling.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back