Josh Heupel Show

I know I'm going to be blasted for being so negative, but I just saw the Josh Heupel Show and thought it was the worst coaches show I've ever seen. The thing I've always liked about UT's coaches show was the coach breaking down the plays during the showing of the highlights. Not only did Heupel not speak during the highlights, but they were way too short and most of them were from the field level angle and in slow motion. Some of the commercials ran longer than the second half highlights. Those canned features were great but can be shown anytime during the season. I want insights from the coaches and players about the game.
I did not care for it. Have not cared for the production since the year Jones came. It is way too canned. At least Johnny and Phillip went over the game in entirety. As Phil often said, "it's my show, I pay for it, I am talking about the game." Both he and Johnny often commented to either John or Bob they missed this or that during their initial own replay. They gave good comment on how a player did this well or simply did not execute. I too am disappointed. It's become escapism. If they don't want to do it - as some think - cancel it.

I agree. I always watch the show after a win. I like hearing the coaches thoughts as they go through the highlights.

Fulmer was coach when I started watching the shows, he did better than any coaches that followed as far as really saying anything beyond very basic comments and catchphrases.

I will still watch though even if it continues to be a bunch of video packages like it was this past week.

Was it Majors who first started doing the Vol Network show after games? I was too young to remember anything before Fulmer, but watching the Vol Network after a game was a staple to my childhood as much as Saturday morning cartoons.

Was it Majors who first started doing the Vol Network show after games? I was too young to remember anything before Fulmer, but watching the Vol Network after a game was a staple to my childhood as much as Saturday morning cartoons.
Doug Dickey and Bill Battle both had shows.

Last edited:
By Saturday afternoon I'd bet that Heupel had already set his sights on NC State. He's methodical in preparation. He does it by contract, but the last thing that he wants to do is talk about the game the day before. Just my .02.

The coaches show has become **** since Butch was coach. I loved watching it with Fulmer because they showed every single play

On if the in helmet communication and tablets on the sideline

“The helmet communication was beneficial just situationally being able to remind him certain things and that’s true on offense and defense and the tablets is something that I think is beneficial for the coaches but also the players to get a different perspective of what’s happening. That can be structurally or on a specific play as well, different than a coach having to just sit there and try to draw it up on the board or talk them through it visually with so many visual learners. I think that’s beneficial. And you know, with all those things, we’ll continue to find out more here as we go through the season. The helmet communication when you’re on the road, loud environments, how that functions and then obviously, the iPads. There are some things that we gotta get right with that in general, but it was beneficial.”

I know I'm going to be blasted for being so negative, but I just saw the Josh Heupel Show and thought it was the worst coaches show I've ever seen. The thing I've always liked about UT's coaches show was the coach breaking down the plays during the showing of the highlights. Not only did Heupel not speak during the highlights, but they were way too short and most of them were from the field level angle and in slow motion. Some of the commercials ran longer than the second half highlights. Those canned features were great but can be shown anytime during the season. I want insights from the coaches and players about the game.
With YouTube and other streaming services, if you're not getting all the Vol content you want, it's your own fault. The coaches shows have always been painful to watch. There's plenty of podcasts, independent and university led, to satisfy most fan's needs.

There are some classic ads and Vol trivia through the years:

1. Derek Dooley trying to say 'banking'.
2. Archie Manning, "It's a disease Jimmah."
3. Farmer Charlie and Butch Jones. Brick by Brick.
4. Wondering if that woman ever got another Ford truck after watching the same ad 3 or 4 years in a row. "And this is miy truck...."
5. When John Ward got the Golden Flake $$$ because the state legislature wouldn't let the coaches have that extra benefit.

VN Store

Back