Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Decades long coach for the top program in the women’s game. Why leave, not every successful asst. coach is chasing the head coach title. If she was a bad coach, why didn’t Summitt let her go?
Not all good assistants make good head coaches. In fact she admittedly played good cop as many assistants do to demanding coaches. You can’t be good cop being the head coach. We need a head coach that can lead and demand a certain level of play. We are so soft inside, we are a terrible ball handling and passing team and that is due to us being too much of a stand around offense. I could go on, it’s time for another coach that demands optimum effort and conditioning.

Not all good assistants make good head coaches. In fact she admittedly played good cop as many assistants do to demanding coaches. You can’t be good cop being the head coach. We need a head coach that can lead and demand a certain level of play. We are so soft inside, we are a terrible ball handling and passing team and that is due to us being too much of a stand around offense. I could go on, it’s time for another coach that demands optimum effort and conditioning.
You can
but you still need a "bad cop/Alpha" in the mix

ANd that Alpha has to not only have the cochungas to bad cop the players, but he/she needs to be able to stand up to the HC and open her eyes too

this is what was missing with Holly and it is what is missing with Kellie's staff
no one on her staff has the balls to tell her where she is failing.....TIME OUT!!!!!!

In every game it is about coaching weapons not used
Start of Q4 game tied 48-48
SC opens on a 4-0 run,,,TN calls its first timeout
We score (JP gets fouled makes one of two)
Then SC goes on a 10-2 run in the next 3 minutes (6:12-3:09),,,no time out taken?????WHY NOT!?????!!!

31 seconds left in the game, damage done, down 11 Kellie finally takes a timeout #2,,,goes home with two in the pocket

Players have weapons; ball handling, driving, passing, shooting...they use them
Coaches have weapons; time outs, subbing, working refs
(credit where due; Kellie did work the refs, she subbed with purpose ((for the most part)),,,but to go home with virtually 3 timeouts in a close game. GGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrowL!

I try not to like any team but my Lady Vols
And I truly try not to respect other coaches who they face
Dawn is a hard coach, full of fire and not afraid to get in her star's faces
Her rant at her team at the end of Q1 was beautifully ugly.
She cursed, pointed, stared and demanded better
and ultimately got it
Man, I'd give my eye-teeth for such a coach for our org

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what Lisa Bruder can do next year without CC.
She obviously recruits ladies that have great fundamentals and they play well together as a team. She finds true shooters and ball handlers and hustlers. Our offense is stand and watch the player dribbling the ball.

You can
but you still need a "bad cop/Alpha" in the mix
ANd that Alpha has to not only have the cochungas to bad cop the players, but he/she needs to be able to stand up to the HC and open her eyes too
The head coach has to be that mix and we haven’t had that since Pat because Holly and Kellie don’t have bad cop in them. You either have it or you don’t. I agree Pat loved her players and they k ew it. She could be good cop but she also was naturally demanding and she had ability to be bad cop when needed. Most assistants build players up after head coach gets on their rear. Holly nor Kellie have that, there teams reflect that in their lethargic play that almost always shows up. Pats teams played with attitude and fire, they refused to be bullied. And Pat would not accept it either.

Last edited:
She obviously recruits ladies that have great fundamentals and they play well together as a team. She finds true shooters and ball handlers and hustlers. Our offense is stand and watch the player dribbling the ball.
24 years of those ladies with great fundamentals has not won Lisa blooter anything. So if she's recruiting all of these great players she must really suck as I head coach. How many Big ten championships has Iowa won since Vivian stringer left?

24 years of those ladies with great fundamentals has not won Lisa blooter anything. So if she's recruiting all of these great players she must really suck as I head coach. How many Big ten championships has Iowa won since Vivian stringer left?
Wow. Never knew Stringer coached at Iowa… the more you know:

A team with talented players that have the will to win can make a poor coach look good.
A team with average talent but a good coach with a strong will to win will usually overachieve as long as the team buys in to what the coach is trying to do.
A team with poor talent at best will look average or very bad.

Everyone has the desire to win but the will to win is different. To me the will to win means talking to a teammate if you feel they are not giving 100% or are making mistakes. It means disagreeing with your coach if you feel they are wrong (in a respectful way). It means a coach that approaches every game and especially practice as if they will be fired if they don"t win the next game, and the players have to prepare with intensity and play the next game with that intensity.

To me, culture means not only having a desire to win, but coaches and players that have "the will to win".

Don’t want to read thru this whole thread but everybody pretty much agrees that if the Lady Vols miss the NCAA tournament that Kellie is 100% fired right?

Don’t want to read thru this whole thread but everybody pretty much agrees that if the Lady Vols miss the NCAA tournament that Kellie is 100% fired right?
Oh no. Might want to start at page one and see where it splits. It has spins that take you away to believe she needs more time and more NIL. If we can somehow wait until the Freshman in HS is a JR in college, we will have a better understanding of where the program is heading.

A team with talented players that have the will to win can make a poor coach look good.
A team with average talent but a good coach with a strong will to win will usually overachieve as long as the team buys in to what the coach is trying to do.

Everyone has the desire to win but the will to win is different. To me the will to win means talking to a teammate if you feel they are not giving 100% or are making mistakes. It means disagreeing with your coach if you feel they are wrong (in a respectful way). It means a coach that approaches every game and especially practice as if they will be fired if they don"t win the next game, and the players have to prepare with intensity and play the next game with that intensity.

To me, culture means not only having a desire to win, but coaches and players that have "the will to win".
Well said, we seems to have the mindset of “hope to win”

Don't really know what will happen in my
Opinion. If Kellie stays and we fall out the
First round of the tournament doesn't say
Much. I have been a Kellie fan but i think
We have topped out as far as we are going
With the present situation.

Reactions: Nickid1975
I try not to like any team but my Lady Vols
And I truly try not to respect other coaches who they face
Dawn is a hard coach, full of fire and not afraid to get in her star's faces
Her rant at her team at the end of Q1 was beautifully ugly.
She cursed, pointed, stared and demanded better
and ultimately got it
Man, I'd give my eye-teeth for such a coach for our org
DS is the best in the game right now. She is the standard all WCB programs want on the sidelines. I have no problem speculating about who UT could get that is better when the time comes. When you throw out bums like Walz I start laughing. The UT LBB team has not dropped off because the program practices reverse discrimination. For the record I see nothing wrong with Moore other than he is not the future. When Holly was hired she was already irrelevant. She was 40 years past her era as a player and it was her first HC gig. At least KJ played ball in the last 25 years and has coaching experience. To me I want a coach that has WNBA or European Pro background before getting into coaching. Somebody familiar with the foreign game for recruiting. Yes there are men who did not play in women's pro BB but who coached in that environment. Find one if the goal is to hire a man. Find a coach who has WNBA experience and college coaching experience. Remember when we hired Pat she had international experience as a US Olympian and she was ahead of her time. To me the problem is not hiring in the LV family it is not being progressive in finding a HC that is ready for the next generation of players and their needs. The women's game to me has adapted the WNBA style and rules roll with it.

Reactions: brittannica

Absolutely. Can we say Geno?

Follow up: Somebody mentioned on this thread that Kara Lawson would never be hired by UT, any reason why? She meets all my requirements WNBA, was an All Pro for a year, International experience plus now she has some limited experience as a college coach. I do not know if she could recruit at a high enough level to be successful . Her husband would not take up a slot as a coach, he has a job in broadcasting. I am not pushing for her but I am curious why some think she would never be hired by UT.

Follow up: Somebody mentioned on this thread that Kara Lawson would never be hired by UT, any reason why? She meets all my requirements WNBA, was an All Pro for a year, International experience plus now she has some limited experience as a college coach. I do not know if she could recruit at a high enough level to be successful . Her husband would not take up a slot as a coach, he has a job in broadcasting. I am not pushing for her but I am curious why some think she would never be hired by UT.
Could be there was some controversy about
her snubbing something or someone at UT.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Maybe undermining the university with insulting implications while a member of the Board of Trustees could create a situation like that.

KJH is a good coach IMO but as a previous poster wrote here but she's not elite. I have seen improvements by players under her tutelage as well as seen her improve aspects of her coaching as well. Kelly also needs to go for the jugular more often. As an example other coaches have no problem going right after a previously injured player returns to the game or a premium player gets into foul trouble. Go right after them. One of the things where I've seen her improve is calling timeouts. When she arrived she was atrocious at it, solid improvement there IMO.

Another thing where I see as a glaring issue is when her team is struggling for a basket offensively if a timeout is called no matter who calls it, I do not see her drawing up a sure fire play to execute and get two. It seems to me as a fan they come out and continue to run their offense. A design play for two really helps sometime. Mulkey and Staley both have those boards working late in games if things are not going to suit them. KJH needs to do more of that IMO.

VN Store

Back