Knoxville Pledges $100 Million For "Urban Removal"

VolStrom

He/Him/Gator Hater
This seems to have walked under the radar, but Knoxville has decided that they are responsible for removing black people from their homes to make way for things like I-40 and the Colliseum nearly 60 years ago.

Here is the headline from todays New-Sentinel.

WE ARE SORRY
Knoxville pledges $100M to make amends for urban removal that displaced Black communities beginning in the 1950s

I’ll be honest, I think Knoxville did what they’re apologizing for. What I don’t understand is how that’s any different from eminent domain today. The government wants something, it takes it.
They took the cheapest land near downtown knoxville. What do people think they are owed? I really don't GAF what happened 50 or 60 years ago and I sure as hell am not going to pay reparations.

Link to the story? Not in knoxville. I would be interested to see what they propose.

Do they pretend to solve the issues or is it just gentrification?

They took the cheapest land near downtown knoxville. What do people think they are owed? I really don't GAF what happened 50 or 60 years ago and I sure as hell am not going to pay reparations.

If they were given fair market value under e.d. laws that the transaction was totally fair and legal.

If they just started foreclosing somehow and laws were broken then something needed to happen.

60 years later though helps no one.

I’m guessing you don’t gaf because your family wasn’t one that was uprooted.
Oh, and if you live in the city, you will pay reparations with your tax dollars. Thanks!!

Reactions: NashVol11
Oh, and if you live in the city, you will pay reparations with your tax dollars. Thanks!!
So they are finding the original people who lived there, or their kids, and giving them the money?

As someone asked, were they given market value as any eminent domain case? Or was it a TVA situation of move or get flooded (paved over in this case).

If they were given fair market value under e.d. laws that the transaction was totally fair and legal.

If they just started foreclosing somehow and laws were broken then something needed to happen.

Fair?

Are you really this dumb? Who did you vote for for president again?

At some point I’m sure I will owe reparations to the cows that used to graze on the land where my home sits now. Jees...

Just insane. A few years ago I thought they might run out of grievences eventually. Boy was I wrong.

Reactions: AM64
At some point I’m sure I will owe reparations to the cows that used to graze on the land where my home sits now. Jees...
You mean these?

iu

I don't think they'll object.

Think my family could sue Appalachian Electric Power? In the 30s they used ED to take my great grandfathers farm, paid a paltry amounts for it since most was hillside and wasn’t going to be flooded. They turned around a few decades latter and sold a bunch of that now lakefront property for millions.

I think we deserve reparations.

Let's be honest here. Do you really think in the 1950s that black people were given fair market value?

Reactions: NashVol11
Let's be honest here. Do you really think in the 1950s that black people were given fair market value?
They probably were not. However I need somebody to explain to me how their grandkids have suffered due to this. Any direct relocations can make a case. But “my grand daddy had to move and I was disadvantaged and suffered because of it” rings rather hollow to me.

Here's a link, but it isn't from today (article updated yesterday). I might have missed today's story, just did a quick search.
Knoxville City Council unanimously passes urban removal resolution
From this article:
The city, largely through eminent domain, systematically tore down entire blocks of homes, churches and businesses in Black neighborhoods in the 1950s through 1970s for projects like the Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum and construction of new routes like James White Parkway and Interstate 40, among others.
In Knoxville, the effort displaced more than 2,500 families, more than 70% of whom were Black, according to the Beck Cultural Exchange Center.

So what about the white families and other ethnicities that were displaced as well?

VN Store

Back