Knoxville Pledges $100 Million For "Urban Removal"

I'm not even going to argue that point. I'm simply replying to the notion that blacks were likely given fair market value.
They most likely weren’t. But the stories of people getting what their property is worth are pretty rare with eminent domain and that applies to everyone across the board.

From this article:
The city, largely through eminent domain, systematically tore down entire blocks of homes, churches and businesses in Black neighborhoods in the 1950s through 1970s for projects like the Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum and construction of new routes like James White Parkway and Interstate 40, among others.
In Knoxville, the effort displaced more than 2,500 families, more than 70% of whom were Black, according to the Beck Cultural Exchange Center.

So what about the white families and other ethnicities that were displaced as well?
F*** 'em!

They took the cheapest land near downtown knoxville. What do people think they are owed? I really don't GAF what happened 50 or 60 years ago and I sure as hell am not going to pay reparations.
Think of all the possible car jackings averted if they hadn't built the interstate, and made all the traffic drive down Magnolia, past Five Points.

Reactions: AM64
From this article:
The city, largely through eminent domain, systematically tore down entire blocks of homes, churches and businesses in Black neighborhoods in the 1950s through 1970s for projects like the Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum and construction of new routes like James White Parkway and Interstate 40, among others.
In Knoxville, the effort displaced more than 2,500 families, more than 70% of whom were Black, according to the Beck Cultural Exchange Center.

So what about the white families and other ethnicities that were displaced as well?
I haven't really followed this that closely honestly, I haven't lived in Knoxville in a few years so I don't keep up with their local stuff like I used to. But in my opinion at least, if the city is going to go the reparation route, the 30% or so non-black families that were displaced deserve exactly the same compensation and recognition.

Reactions: dovervolz
Here's a link, but it isn't from today (article updated yesterday). I might have missed today's story, just did a quick search.
Knoxville City Council unanimously passes urban removal resolution
Oh goodie. They have no specific plans.

"Instead, she said, the program and its dollars should be directed at specific issues and urban removal remedies.

But McKenzie was resolute, saying the remaining issues were semantics. The details would be figured out in the coming days and weeks, she said.".

And based on the article there were 2500 households moved. 70% were black. You figure 4 or 5 per house and you have about 10k people set to receive 100 million.

Largely funded by grants the city hasnt secured.

Sounds like a political slush fund to me

Reactions: davethevol
Shouldn’t we exclude the majority of current Knoxvillians that had zero connection to Knoxville until well after the redevelopment? And they need to trace the lineage of all of those that were in Knoxville from that time and send them bills.

Last edited:
If they were given fair market value under e.d. laws that the transaction was totally fair and legal.

If they just started foreclosing somehow and laws were broken then something needed to happen.

60 years later though helps no one.

It will go to some lawyer and they'll get the bulk of it.

Reactions: AM64 and tbwhhs
The most ridiculous part is that a new government program or office has been created to administer this hand out.
I imagine Louder called it correctly and this is a new slush fund for government workers. They will need to form a committee to determine the best ways to donate that money, and of course those on the committee are going to get compensated handsomely for their hard work and dedication.

I imagine Louder called it correctly and this is a new slush fund for government workers. They will need to form a committee to determine the best ways to donate that money, and of course those on the committee are going to get compensated handsomely for their hard work and dedication.

And then when it fails, a committe to determine why the committe failed.

They admitted to having no specific plans of how to spend it.

Flabbergasting. Imagine trying to get a loan from a bank with this concept.

Yes I would like 100,000 dollars.
Why?
Cause, reasons. Dont worry about the semantics just give me money.

Shouldn’t we exclude the majority of current Knoxvillians that had zero connection to Knoxville until well after the redevelopment? And they need to trace the lineage of all of those that were in Knoxville from that and send them bills.
This is when the good intentions run off the tracks. I understand the argument from folks that support reparations, but if that is the road governments want to go down, it is going to open up a much larger can of worms. I would rather see the money earmarked for this type of plan reinvested back in to city schools, services, tax benefits, etc. Benefits everyone in city limits.

What happened to the black community in Knoxville was bad. I’d done some research on this. What happened to my poor, farm family was wrong.
Do you know Bullrun steam plant? My families farm sat on that land and it was taken through eminent domain. Do you think my great grandparents got what it wa a really worth? Hell no. We lost 100 River front acres. But, we white, so tough ****.

What happened to the black community in Knoxville was bad. I’d done some research on this. What happened to my poor, farm family was wrong.
Do you know Bullrun steam plant? My families farm sat on that land and it was taken through eminent domain. Do you think my great grandparents got what it wa a really worth? Hell no. We lost 100 River front acres. But, we white, so tough ****.
They are closing Bull Run arent they? Maybe you can make a claim once the SuperFund cleanup is finished. But I would bet that a few wealthy/campaign contributing contractors have first dibs.

VN Store

Back