Lacrosse team's bus stopped, searched for drugs in Georgia

AshG

Easy target
HBCU school team's bus searched in Georgia; sheriff says no profiling

The bus was stopped for 30 to 45 minutes, Jenkins said. At one point, a deputy stepped onto the bus holding a gift-wrapped box and summoned the person whose name was on it – senior Aniya Aiken, who happens to be from Decatur, Georgia.

Aiken was asked where she received the package, Jenkins said. It was from family members who’d seen the team play at Kennesaw State. Asked what was inside, Aiken said she was told by her aunt not to open the gift until she got back to campus.

"He said ‘You accepted something and you don’t know what it is?’ " Jenkins said, and the deputy was told again it was a gift to be opened later.

The deputy returned to the cargo bay with the gift, which was then opened.

That's your standard little town georgia sheriff behavior. I live in Florida and have spent exponentially more time driving here than in GA, but I've managed to get pulled over and harassed more times there than where I actually live. They're clowns on fishing missions.

Sounds like the deputies were looking for a different minority. When they realized they were black and not brown they couldn’t just let them go, otherwise they’d be accused of racial profiling….uh nevermind

You can't see inside of those charter buses - I bet those cops had no idea an HBCU lacrosse team was on board. They were kicking over rocks, looking to make an arrest. Nobody gets pulled over for being a left lane hog (they should, but don't). Did anybody on board the bus consent to a search? The article says they opened the cargo bay, looking through their belongings. If not, the cops should have to answer to that.

That's your standard little town georgia sheriff behavior. I live in Florida and have spent exponentially more time driving here than in GA, but I've managed to get pulled over and harassed more times there than where I actually live. They're clowns on fishing missions.

Florida really shines on 301 and 24 heading across the state into Gainesville. I’ve never seen more small town police looking for a reason to stop an out of state vehicle. Best to take those orange T’s off your car if you can!

Reactions: Septic
Before entering the motorcoach, the deputies were not aware that this school was historically Black or aware of the race or the occupants due to the height of the vehicle and tint of the windows

I mean, this absolutely checks out.

Florida really shines on 301 and 24 heading across the state into Gainesville. I’ve never seen more small town police looking for a reason to stop an out of state vehicle. Best to take those orange T’s off your car if you can!

No doubt. Starke, Waldo, Lawley etc. That's the worst I've seen it here. Seems like it's like that just about everywhere in rural Georgia tho.

VN Store

Back