Lady Vols⚽️#23 Tennessee @ Alabama 7PM Sunday 9/22 ESPNU

Sarina Wiegman has now taken two different teams to World Cup finals and won two European championships
with those teams---and she yet may trade one of the WC finalist achievements for a WC champion marker. Two talented
teams, to be sure--but she's clearly got some coaching magic.

Reactions: knoxvol52 and MAD
Sorry, it's Spain for me. They just play prettier skilled team soccer, IMHO.

I don't want to dislike England ... but they just have more players that I dislike than ones I like.

And they lucked out to be on that side of the bracket. I think they would have lost to Sweden, Neth, or the US. JMO.

Sweden v. Brit would have been interesting because they have similar styles. But, the USA is currently not in England's league. US soccer needs to hire Tony Gustavsson (who was assistant coach for the US's 2015 and 2019 world cup wins) and rebuild this team.

Last edited:
Going forward I don’t think the US will reclaim their dominance. The main reason, we don’t have a tournament comparable to the Euros. It’s basically like having a World Cup every 2 years vs 4.

Going forward I don’t think the US will reclaim their dominance. The main reason, we don’t have a tournament comparable to the Euros. It’s basically like having a World Cup every 2 years vs 4.
In most major sports dominance goes in spurts ...

Reactions: MAD

The US has Concacaff which is now being revamped and expanded. The Euros have historically been more competitive but teams in Concacaff, like Jamiaca are coming on and it includes perennial power houses Canada and Brazil.

I will go back to Hoban's comment that the NWSL does not play a style that is compatible with success in the world cup. The European pro leagues have left the US behind.

Reactions: MAD and knoxvol52
Pet peeve-- I do wish Fox would find a better lead announcer than JP Dellacamera. Fox does a 30 minute highlight show which, for some reason, features the Aussie TV crews calling the games and it is a world of difference.

They actually give you insights into the game and relevant details about the players on the field.

JPD does not have the knowledge of the game or command of language to make for interesting play-by-play. He anchors on one or two star players and seems to know nothing about anyone else on the field.

He spends most of the broadcast time reciting absolute banalities-- "this the 2nd of two semifinals and the winner goes to the Finals to face the previous winner Spain!!" He literally made this statement 7 or so times during the game. He also importantly intoned that Australia had less time to score a tying goal after England, took the lead late in the game, then when the Aussies first went behind 1-0 in the first half.

I mean, my gosh, so that is how time works in soccer. What a crazy sport!!

Pretty much over the course of any game that remains even (even if only 15 minutes), he will keep repeating that if the game remains tied, we will be going to overtime and potentially penalty kicks!! And then start speculating about PK scenarios.

Probably worse, he spends most of his time not calling the game but talking about potential future match-ups or making references to the US team, even after their elimination (though that last tick might be imposed by Fox to pander to the American audience).

For a contrast, listen to any game called by Peter Drury or Ian Darke to hear how it should be done.

Your Lady Vols are back tomorrow night at 7pm E.T. & here’s what you can expect!

⚡️Thunder-stick giveaway
🌭 Thursday $1 hotdog night
🌮 🍦 Good Hombres Food Truck

IMG_3380.jpeg

Reactions: knoxvol52
IMG_3384.jpeg

MATCH CENTRAL: Tennessee vs. California

IMG_3385.jpeg

The Lady Vols will kick off their 2023 campaign at home, hosting California on Thursday at 7 p.m. ET.

In its first exhibition outing, UT came from two goals down against #7 Alabama to draw 2-2. Graduate transfer Samantha Agresti and redshirt-sophomore Jenna Stayart were the goal scorers for UT. Redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara and redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz split time in the net, combining for three saves on the night. Tennessee kept the pressure on offensively, outshooting the Crimson Tide 16-7 and taking 11 corners to UA's four.

Tennessee had a second exhibition match scheduled against Jacksonville State on Saturday, but it was delayed due to lightning 15 minutes after kickoff and was eventually abandoned.

Admission is free for all preseason and regular-season soccer matches. For fans planning to attend, note that Tennessee's clear bag policy will be in effect again this season.

GAME PROMOTIONS:

• 2023 Schedule Poster
  • Thunderstick Giveaway
  • $1 Hot Dog Night
  • Food Trucks: Good Hombres and Irvey's Ice Cream
VS THE PAC 12: This is just the second meeting between Cal and UT, and the first of this millennium. In their initial meeting in 1999, Tennessee fell on the road, 1-2. The Lady Vols own a record of 7-15-3 all-time against the PAC 12. In its most recent matchup with a PAC 12 team, UT defeated Washington State 2-0 to advance to the NCAA Round of 16 on Nov. 19, 2021.

SCOUTING THE GOLDEN BEARS: Cal was picked to finish fourth in the PAC 12. It's the Bears' highest placement on the poll since 2018 and matches their 2022 finish. UCLA was picked to finish first, followed by Stanford and USC at second and third, respectively. Last season, Cal finished with a record of 10-5-6 overall and 5-3-3 in conference play.

NEW FACES: Tennessee added 10 newcomers in its 2023 signing class. All 10 are versatile field players with six enrolling as freshmen and four arriving as transfers with multiple years of collegiate experience.

BACK AGAIN: The Lady Vols return five starters and 20 letterwinners from the 2022 team that clinched an SEC East Division title for the third straight season.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: Redshirt senior Jaida Thomas, senior Lawson Renie, juniors Sheridan Michel and Jordan Fusco, and sophomore Kameron Simmonds were all named to the SEC Preseason Watch List.

TRACKING THOMAS: Jaida Thomas finished the 2022 season with 13 goals to rank second in the SEC. She enters the 2023 season with a career total of 38 goals, sitting within five of tying Kylee Rossi at No. 1 all time in career goals scored at UT.

UP NEXT: UT will travel to Lipscomb for a 2 p.m. ET matinee on Sunday.

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting tickets to a soccer game? My best friend’s daughter is in high school and plays and we want to surprise her by taking her to a game…
Any other helpful tips would be much appreciated!

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Can anyone tell me how to go about getting tickets to a soccer game? My best friend’s daughter is in high school and plays and we want to surprise her by taking her to a game…
Any other helpful tips would be much appreciated!

Are you talking about a UT soccer game? You just show up---there is no charge.

VN Store

Back