Lady Vols⚽️#23 Tennessee @ Alabama 7PM Sunday 9/22 ESPNU

Some excellent bumps. I’m beginning to understand the game. Dammit, another addiction… 😉

I blame @MAD

MAD is an All American when it comes to getting good Vol soccer info up on this thread--and quickly.

It looks like fan interest in the team has picked up. It appeared we had a pretty solid crowd for the Arkansas game. Not sure about tonight. There have been a fair number of fans on the far-side banks as well.

“The action stayed largely in the middle of the field through the first 20 minutes, with UT managing two shots to Florida's one until the 24-minute mark when Fusco found Lawton on the left side of the 18-yard box, and Lawton buried a left-footed shot far post.”

That was beautiful. Note to Fusco, quit shooting, make more beautiful passes! 😉
I’m very impressed Chuckipoo

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Notebook: Tennessee eases to 2-0 win over Gators​

IMG_3939.jpeg

Tennessee soccer was able to clinch their first win of the SEC season, defeating the Gators in comfortable fashion 2-0.

The Lady Vols (6-2-1) were comfortable throughout the game as Florida (4-3-2) looked hesitant to come out of their shell.

Wonderstrikes from Sizzy Lawton in the first and Kate Runyon in the second put the game comfortably out of reach against a Florida team that offered little in attack.

“I thought we got back to who we are,” head coach Joe Kirt said. “Really happy with our performance on the ball, confidence on the ball, starting from our backs, all the way up through to our front players.”

Here are three takeaways from the win.

Dominant First Half

In what was a slow, often cagey first 45 minutes, the Lady Vols established that they were the dominant side.

Tennessee was able to create the better chances and keep the Gators largely at bay. This was despite the absences of star forwards Kameron Simmonds, who is on international duty with Jamaica, and Jaida Thomas, who is out for the remainder of the season.

From minute one, the Lady Vols showed their intent when a Sizzy Lawton shot trickled agonizingly wide of the far post just seconds into the game.

However, after their early shot, Tennessee found it hard to find space in the attacking third as Florida set up to frustrate. The Gator’s largely defensive game plan was able to frustrate Tennessee for some time.

Florida’s defense was eventually breached in the 24th minute when a vicious shot from left-winger Lawton found the far corner, which was her third goal of the season.

The first half offered little else. Neither team was unable to create many clear-cut chances. The Gator’s found some success with crosses from wide but were only able to muster one shot in the first half.

The Lady Vols were able to generate a few corners, but were only able to create four shots. However, Tennessee put in a solid defensive shift and was able to almost completely stifle Florida’s attack.

A calm first half was exactly what was needed for the Lady Vols after conceding in four of their last five first halves.

Rocks at the Back

Tennessee’s back line was able to completely negate the Florida attack in what was an impressive defensive performance.

The center back pairing of Sheridan Michel and Lawson Renie was dominant from minute one. The Lady Vols switched them to central defenders and proved their effectiveness as a duo. Unfortunately, Renie was forced to leave the game after 35 minutes.

Senior defender Lindsey Brick stepped up and was able to slot in seamlessly. The experienced defender played the rest of the game and was able to keep Florida quiet.

Tennessee’s wingbacks, Ally Brown and Linette Hoffman, were equally impressive as their centerback counterparts. Brown continues to impress both at going forward and defending her own net. The left back is an integral part of the Lady Vols attack with her overlapping runs and crosses often creating havoc at the back.

In total, the Tennessee defense allowed only eight shots all game with none of them providing any real challenge for Abby Reisz or Ally Zazzarra, who once again split time in goal.

Crucial win before SEC ramps up

The Lady Vols win over Florida tonight was a crucial first conference win — one that can hopefully build confidence and momentum before the heart of SEC play begins.

Tennessee has eight more games to finish the season before the SEC tournament begins, which are all against SEC competition. Although the Lady Vols are only 1-1 in conference play, the win Thursday night should provide a boost for the program before they face South Carolina and Mississippi State on the road.

Tennessee’s win tonight was particularly impressive considering eight players are currently out injured. With Simmonds on international duty, and Renie coming off injured, that makes ten players absent from the squad. The Lady Vols will hope to ease their injury woes, but the game against Florida certainly highlighted the depth at the disposal of Kirt.

“Three points at home, you gotta have it in this league, it's tough to win anywhere,” Kirt said. “Now we gotta go on the road and hope to get three more at a tough opponent like South Carolina.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Shouldn't be. He needs replaced, just not good enough to be an HC
I tend to agree that Kirt is in over his head, but we almost never fire non-revenue sport coaches without cause who are still under contract, except maybe in baseball (and even there we waited to fire Dave Serrano until his contract was up).

If he doesn’t turn it around, we will just let him run out his contract and not offer him a new one.

Hard to believe we've beaten Florida 7 straight. The gators were the class of the conference for a lot of years. Pensky lost to florida at least the first,
say, three or four times we played, but our talent level grew and Florida's started falling off--maybe because Florida's respected coach, Becky Burleigh, just got burned out. She was the program's founding (1995) and only coach until she retired in 2021. She won more than 500 games as a D1 coach, which is either 2nd or 4th all-time (I've seen both), and won 14 SEC titles (including every year from 2006 to 2010) and 12 SEC Conference titles. The gators won the national title in 1998--in only the team's fourth year of existence--beating UNC in the final on what was an absolutely terrible, ridiculous penalty call on UNC in the second half. (I was not following college soccer in those days---didn't start until Pensky took over at UT--but I did see either highlights or a replay of that game a few years back.) That Florida team was led by Abby Wambach, who was an absolute beast of a player--big, strong, fierce--the best header of the ball ever in American women's soccer. She then went on to star for the USWNT for, like 12 years--the team's all-time leading scorer. If you've ever seen the outstanding German player Alexendra Popp play, you'll have a very good idea of how Wambach played--they're very similar.

The most shocking result of last night was not only that Kentucky--the worst (or close to the worst) in the SEC for a few years--tied South Carollina, but that South Carolina did not have a single shot in the game. That is crazy.

I tend to agree that Kirt is in over his head, but we almost never fire non-revenue sport coaches without cause who are still under contract, except maybe in baseball (and even there we waited to fire Dave Serrano until his contract was up).

If he doesn’t turn it around, we will just let him run out his contract and not offer him a new one.
The kids love him and love playing for him.

The kids love him and love playing for him.

That's fine--but you have to make smart personnel/formation decisions, and I'd argue strongly that he's made a number of obviously bad decisions, last year and this. The best coaches are rarely lovable but rather have that package of knowledge, analytical abilities, leadership and motivational qualities to get the best out of each player on the team and the team as a whole. It took Kirt 6/7 games this year to realize that he was starting the wrong player at defensive mid, and make a change, when it should have been obvious during training camp. And had it been, we probably beat Indiana and maybe get a result against SMU. And he's STILL playing the player in question too much. IMO, he should be training Mitchell to be a defensive mid and bringing her in to relieve Agresti--and in that way you are developing a player whom you will probably need next year and who probably is not going to hurt the team this year. Proactive thinking.

Ally Brown has been a pleasant surprise at outside back. I don't remember her playing last year, and I don't think she was hurt. Maybe she was, not sure, but she played either very little or not at all. In any case, she's been pretty solid. She's a more than decent athlete--certainly not as dynamic or as speedy as Claire Rain (a prototype for the position)--none of our outside backs are--but she's got some size and is a pretty savvy defender and she gets up and down the field reasonably well. All of our outside backs lack the speed that you'd ideally like at that position--but she's been pretty dependable. The best outside backs are able to dribble into space--including the middle of the field--to put pressure on the opponent's defense. That means being confident with your weaker foot--in Brown's case, her right foot, since she's a lefty. We haven't seen that from her: Like others, she tends to hug the touchline mainly and her passes are predictably up the sideline. But all in all, she's been solid.

It also seems to me that she could be the player to replace Renie at centerback next year--or in this next game, if necessary. If you've some size and the qualities needed needed to play outside back--arguably the most physically demanding position in soccer--then you ought to be able to play centerback--and play it well with experience. I'd certainly rate her overall skill set as good as Renie's. It raises the question of why neither she nor Hennessey was trained to play centerback last year. Might have made all the difference.

As I said, if I'm Kirt and Renie is not able to play Sunday, I'm thinking seriously about playing Brown in Renie's position and starting Hennessey with Hofmann at outside back. That /might/ be a better option than starting someone who's not played much at all in 3 years. We shall see--hoping Renie can play, of course, but not too confident that she will.

Reactions: MAD
That's fine--but you have to make smart personnel/formation decisions, and I'd argue strongly that he's made a number of obviously bad decisions, last year and this. The best coaches are rarely lovable but rather have that package of knowledge, analytical abilities, leadership and motivational qualities to get the best out of each player on the team and the team as a whole. It took Kirt 6/7 games this year to realize that he was starting the wrong player at defensive mid, and make a change, when it should have been obvious during training camp. And had it been, we probably beat Indiana and maybe get a result against SMU. And he's STILL playing the player in question too much. IMO, he should be training Mitchell to be a defensive mid and bringing her in to relieve Agresti--and in that way you are developing a player whom you will probably need next year and who probably is not going to hurt the team this year. Proactive thinking.

Ally Brown has been a pleasant surprise at outside back. I don't remember her playing last year, and I don't think she was hurt. Maybe she was, not sure, but she played either very little or not at all. In any case, she's been pretty solid. She's a more than decent athlete--certainly not as dynamic or as speedy as Claire Rain (a prototype for the position)--none of our outside backs are--but she's got some size and is a pretty savvy defender and she gets up and down the field reasonably well. All of our outside backs lack the speed that you'd ideally like at that position--but she's been pretty dependable. The best outside backs are able to dribble into space--including the middle of the field--to put pressure on the opponent's defense. That means being confident with your weaker foot--in Brown's case, her right foot, since she's a lefty. We haven't seen that from her: Like others, she tends to hug the touchline mainly and her passes are predictably up the sideline. But all in all, she's been solid.

It also seems to me that she could be the player to replace Renie at centerback next year--or in this next game, if necessary. If you've some size and the qualities needed needed to play outside back--arguably the most physically demanding position in soccer--then you ought to be able to play centerback--and play it well with experience. I'd certainly rate her overall skill set as good as Renie's. It raises the question of why neither she nor Hennessey was trained to play centerback last year. Might have made all the difference.

As I said, if I'm Kirt and Renie is not able to play Sunday, I'm thinking seriously about playing Brown in Renie's position and starting Hennessey with Hofmann at outside back. That /might/ be a better option than starting someone who's not played much at all in 3 years. We shall see--hoping Renie can play, of course, but not too confident that she will.
You can’t really blame the coach, he was hired without any head coaching experience. I’d say if this year ends up surpassing last, he is headed in the right direction.

You can’t really blame the coach, he was hired without any head coaching experience. I’d say if this year ends up surpassing last, he is headed in the right direction.
I was very down on him, but I'll give him credit for making some adjustments, changing formations and lineups. We are down so many key players this year too, so it's hard to make a true assessment with Simmons playing part of the season on the Jamaican national team, Thomas out, chatterton out ,diaspul out and others.

Stage set for Jamaica, Canada in exciting Olympic Playoff​

The Reggae Girlz are looking to write history one more time by being the first Caribbean team to qualify for the Olympic Games.

IMG_3949.jpeg
Lady Vol Kameron Simmonds

MIAMI, Florida – On Friday evening, the first leg of the Concacaf Olympic Playoff between Canada and Jamaica will take place at Independence Park in Kingston, Jamaica, for the final spot to be part of the 2024 Paris Olympics and to secure a berth in the 2024 Concacaf W Gold Cup.

This will be the 10th time these two national teams have faced each other, with Canada having won all nine previous encounters. They both were part of the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup this summer, although with different results.

Canada, the reigning Olympic Champions (Tokyo 2020), left the competition at the group stage. However, they still have the hunger and the squad to go at it again and prove to the world why they are the ones with the Gold Medal.

Many faces that won that first Gold, as well as the Bronze Medal at London 2012 and Rio 2016, will return. MF Jessie Fleming, one of the game-changers in their last competitions, will take to the pitch again to create Canada’s game. Captain and football legend Christine Sinclair is back wearing the armband to lead this team to get the ticket to defend their Olympic title.

Jamaica, the first Caribbean nation to play in a Women’s World Cup, qualified for the first time to the Round of 16 at Australia/New Zealand 2023, showing the world of football the reason they are now considered one of the best teams in the region.

The Reggae Girlz are looking to write history one more time by being the first Caribbean country to qualify for the Olympic Games. On Friday, key players like GK Rebecca Spencer and captain Khadija Shaw will show up to the pitch, having the home crowd’s support.

It is all or nothing to play for these teams in this first match. The players are no strangers to pressure and will be ready to prove why this is one of the biggest matches of the year in the hopes of edging closer to Paris 2024 and the W Gold Cup.

IMG_3948.jpeg

MATCH CENTRAL: Tennessee at #7 South Carolina​

IMG_3959.jpeg

The Lady Vols will play their first SEC road game on Sunday, traveling to No. 7 South Carolina for a 7 p.m. ET matchup that will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Tennessee (6-2-1, 1-1 SEC) is coming off a 2-0 victory over Florida at home on Thursday. UT out-shot the Gators 13-8 on the night, marking the most shots UF has allowed this season as they entered the match limiting opponents to an average of 4.3 shots per game through the eight matches prior. Sizzy Lawton netted the game-winner in the 24th minute off an assist by Jordan Fusco, and Kate Runyon added a second in the 62nd minute. In goal, Abby Reisz made the start, recording one save. Ally Zazzara took over in the second half, making three saves on the evening.

In its last outing, South Carolina (7-1-2, 1-0-1 SEC) played Kentucky to a scoreless draw in Lexington.

THE LAST TIME WE MET: The 18th-ranked Lady Vols fell to No. 21 South Carolina in Regal Stadium on Oct. 23, 2022, 6-1.

VS THE GAMECOCKS: Tennessee's all-time record against USC is 14-11-3. When playing in Columbia, UT owns a 5-4-3 advantage. On the Lady Vols' last trip to South Carolina in 2021, No. 12 Tennessee claimed a 1-0 victory over No. 19 USC to snap a home unbeaten streak in conference play dating back to 2018.

SCOUTING SOUTH CAROLINA: The Gamecocks were picked to finish third in the SEC as voted on by the league's coaches. They return seven starters from the 2022 squad that won an SEC Tournament Championship and went 15-4-5 overall en route to a postseason run to the NCAA Round of 16. Fifth years Camryn Dixon and Heather Hinz, seniors Cat Barry and Brianna Behm, and sophomores Gracie Falla and Shae O'Rourke were named players to watch this season.

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY: Simmonds, who has tallied a team-leading six goals and two assists thus far in her sophomore campaign, would rank third in single-season program records for points per game (1.75) and fourth in goals per game (.75).

THOMAS IN THE RECORD BOOK: Before suffering a season-ending injury, redshirt-senior Jaida Thomas moved her career total to 39 goals to trail UT's leading career scorer, Kylie Rossi, by just four goals. Thomas amassed her 39 goals in just 59 games for a goals-per-game average of .66 to rank third all-time at Tennessee behind only Bunny Shaw (0.77) and Allison Campbell (0.70).

IN THEIR OFFENSIVE THIRD: The Lady Vols out-shot the Gators 13-8 and took eight corners to their one. On the season, UT has out-shot opponents 168-53 and taken 83 corner kicks while limiting the opposition to just 19. Tennessee currently ranks first nationally in corner kicks per game (9.11) and 21st in shots per game (18.33).

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: UT's 21 goals thus far have been scored by 10 different players. Freshmen Sarah Greiner, Kate Runyon (2) and Keaton Mitchell, sophomore Kameron Simmonds (6), juniors Jordan Fusco (2) and Nolyn Bartholomew, redshirt-seniors Maria Nelson (2) and Jaida Thomas, senior Lawson Renie and graduate Sizzy Lawton (3) have all found the back of the net for the Big Orange. An own goal by ETSU rounds out the total.

FRESHMEN CONTRIBUTING: All four of UT's active freshmen have recorded at least one goal or assist on the season. Forward Kate Runyon has made four starts, logging two goals and an assist. Fellow rookies Keaton Mitchell and Sarah Greinerhave both tallied goals, and Linette Hofmann has started seven contests, recording an assist in the season opener against Cal.

NEW FACES: Tennessee added 10 newcomers in its 2023 signing class. All 10 are versatile field players with six enrolling as freshmen and four arriving as transfers with multiple years of collegiate experience.

BACK AGAIN: The Lady Vols return five starters and 20 letterwinners from the 2022 team that clinched an SEC East Division title for the third straight season.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: Redshirt senior Jaida Thomas, senior Lawson Renie, juniors Sheridan Michel and Jordan Fusco, and sophomore Kameron Simmonds were all named to the SEC Preseason Watch List.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will play a second straight game on the road, traveling to Mississippi State for an 8:30 p.m. ET contest on Friday.

VN Store

Back