Lady Vols Soccer ⚽️ Ole Miss @ #23 Tennessee 7PM Thursday 9/19 Regal Stadium (Admission is free)

Puerto Rico can be proud of its performances. They've played outstanding defense and much better overall than I would have
expected. And what great experience for Marcano. For a team ranked 103 to lose to the #11 team by 0-1 and to the #23 team by 0-2, and
beat the #51 team (Haiti) is quite the achievement for our territorial island neighbor!

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
@turbovol

Huge match today between your Netherlands and Germany at 2:45.
Winner qualifies for this summer Olympic Games in Paris.
Question, do you know if it’s being shown in the states?

@turbovol

Huge match today between your Netherlands and Germany at 2:45.
Winner qualifies for this summer Olympic Games in Paris.
Question, do you know if it’s being shown in the states?

I've looked and can't find a stream anywhere. No ESPN or ESPN+ either, tho I will check again in a moment. I looked a few days ago
when they played Spain and found no stream or broadcast. If we had VPN we could probably get it, but I don't.

As for the Dutch, they've been hurt pretty badly by injuries. Three starters, all excellent attacking players, are out: Jill Roord (ManCity attacking mid) tore her ACL about 4 weeks ago, Viv Miedema, just recovered from an ACL tear, played a half against Spain but was sent back to London/Arsenal as her repaired knee has been bothering her for a few weeks. She simply is not fully recovered. And the talented Victoria Pelova has been sent back to London/Arsenal as well. She didn't play against Spain. She has some sort of problem/knock but there has no word that I've seen on what it is---the Dutch media don't seem to know.

The match is in The Netherlands, so that should help, but Germany is good and the Dutch are not in great shape.

The Dutch have had a golden generation of players but they are starting to age. Spitse is 33 and very close to retirement--look for her to be the Dutch NT coach one day; Martins, great career, very talented, is now 31. Van de Donk, great career, is now 32. Jackie Groenen, maybe the best defense mid in the world the last four/five years, is 29, Miedema, prolific goal scorer, is still only 27 but has not been as influential, mostly because she has been turned into a midfielder by the idiot coach at Arsenel, Jonas Eidevall. He can in three years ago and decided he didn't like the way she played CF--she's got, like, 95 goals in 115 international matches and led the WSL in goals three times, so he moved her to attacking mid. She can play there--but she's a goal-scorer, and Eidevall is a moron. Dominique Janssen, excellent CB, is now 29. Most of them probably got one more Euro championship and maybe one more WC before hanging up the boots and turning it over to the next generation!

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
I've looked and can't find a stream anywhere. No ESPN or ESPN+ either, tho I will check again in a moment. I looked a few days ago
when they played Spain and found no stream or broadcast. If we had VPN we could probably get it, but I don't.

As for the Dutch, they've been hurt pretty badly by injuries. Three starters, all excellent attacking players, are out: Jill Roord (ManCity attacking mid) tore her ACL about 4 weeks ago, Viv Miedema, just recovered from an ACL tear, played a half against Spain but was sent back to London/Arsenal as her repaired knee has been bothering her for a few weeks. She simply is not fully recovered. And the talented Victoria Pelova has been sent back to London/Arsenal as well. She didn't play against Spain. She has some sort of problem/knock but there has no word that I've seen on what it is---the Dutch media don't seem to know.

The match is in The Netherlands, so that should help, but Germany is good and the Dutch are not in great shape.

The Dutch have had a golden generation of players but they are starting to age. Spitse is 33 and very close to retirement--look for her to be the Dutch NT coach one day; Martins, great career, very talented, is now 31. Van de Donk, great career, is now 32. Jackie Groenen, maybe the best defense mid in the world the last four/five years, is 29, Miedema, prolific goal scorer, is still only 27 but has not been as influential, mostly because she has been turned into a midfielder by the idiot coach at Arsenel, Jonas Eidevall. He can in three years ago and decided he didn't like the way she played CF--she's got, like, 95 goals in 115 international matches and led the WSL in goals three times, so he moved her to attacking mid. She can play there--but she's a goal-scorer, and Eidevall is a moron. Dominique Janssen, excellent CB, is now 29. Most of them probably got one more Euro championship and maybe one more WC before hanging up the boots and turning it over to the next generation!

This link looks like it will work.

The same channel is currently showing the Final between Spain and France

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
As it stands, El Salvador is up 2-1.
If that stands Puerto Rica is in.
6 minutes left

Tennessee soccer history cont.

2022 season

Expectations were super high, even with a new coach at the helm. Some of the preseason polls even had Tennessee close to the top. The SEC coaches predicted the Vols to finish first. The recruiting class was ranked #6 in the country.

Overall, it turned out to be a rather disappointing year.

View attachment 623323

In head coach Joe Kirt's first year at the helm, the Lady Vols claimed their third straight SEC East Division Championship, tying South Carolina for the title with 15 points in divisional play while finishing second overall in the league with 22 points. The 2022 squad posted 10 shutouts on the season, including a streak of five in a row during conference play that began with a 1-0 victory at No. 13 Ole Miss. For the first time in program history, Tennessee went undefeated on the road in SEC matches, giving up just two goals over five contests. Sitting at No. 24 in the RPI following the SEC Tournament, UT made its second straight and 14th overall NCAA Tournament appearance, entering as a No. 6 Seed. The Lady Vols hosted a Xavier team that was No. 25 in the RPI in the NCAA First Round, falling in overtime, 4-1.

Redshirt-junior Jaida Thomas and sophomore Taylor Huff earned First Team All-SEC honors, while fifth-year senior Mackenzie George was named Second Team All-SEC. Thomas found the net 13 times on the season, moving her career total to 38 to pull within five goals of tying the program record of 43. Senior goalkeeper Lindsey Romig finished her career with 23 solo shutouts to rank third all-time in the UT record book and tie for fourth all-time with a save percentage of .791

Kirt hired a new assistant coach.
Check out this article from Knoxville News:

Five things to know about Tennessee soccer assistant coach Becky Edwards' professional career

Tennessee soccer history cont.
2023 season

IMG_6693.jpeg

In a season plagued by injuries, the Lady Vols battled No. 18 Kentucky and No. 5 South Carolina to draws and finished the regular season with a crucial 1-0 victory at Vanderbilt. The Lady Vols made the program’s third straight and 15th overall NCAA Tournament appearance, receiving an at-large bid with an RPI ranking of 32. Tennessee opened the tournament by defeating No. 17 Xavier in double overtime on the road to advance to the NCAA Second Round for the 10th time in program history. Redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara tallied 15 saves in that match to tie the program record set by Sarah Shivley in 1997.

Junior Jordan Fusco was named First Team All-SEC, graduate Sizzy Lawton made Second Team All-SEC, and freshman Kate Runyon landed on the SEC All-Freshman Team.

Highlight of the season Ally Zazzara tied the record for most saves in a match.

Kirt added a new assistant

Anybody going to the first spring game on Sunday? It would be nice to get a report from somebody as we won't
get much of anything from the program--at least that's the way it is typically. Some schools will go into some
detail about a spring game, but many/most don't as they're really more like scrimmages than games, I think.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
Anybody going to the first spring game on Sunday? It would be nice to get a report from somebody as we won't
get much of anything from the program--at least that's the way it is typically. Some schools will go into some
detail about a spring game, but many/most don't as they're really more like scrimmages than games, I think.
I’m planning to go and can report back.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back