Lady Vols Soccer ⚽️ Ole Miss @ #23 Tennessee 7PM Thursday 9/19 Regal Stadium (Admission is free)

That's fantastic! What a great moment for her--and Puerto Rico--and what great experience for her play in an international tournament like this.

Reactions: MAD
Tennessee soccer history cont.

2021 season.

View attachment 622310

In a historic season, Tennessee captured its first SEC Tournament title since 2008, taking a decisive 3-0 win over No. 5 Arkansas in Orange Beach. The squad left quite a mark on the record book, starting by opening the 2021 campaign with seven straight shutouts to set a new program record for longest shutout streak of 633:53. The group went on to amass a program-best 13 shutouts and recorded 20 wins for the first time in school history. With a record of 8-2 in conference play, UT claimed its second straight SEC East title. The Vols entered the NCAA Tournament as a No. 3 seed, advancing to the NCAA Round of 16 with wins over Lipscomb (3-0) and No. 15 Washington State (2-0). Tennessee's historic run came to an end in Ann Arbor, falling to the host team, No. 9 Michigan, 3-0. The Vols landed at No. 11 in the final rankings.

Head coach Brian Pensky was named SEC Coach of the Year and Taylor Huff earned SEC Freshman of the Year honors. Senior Mackenzie George earned First Team All-SEC honors while redshirt-sophomore Jaida Thomas, senior Wrenne French, and Huff were named Second Team All-SEC. Tennessee placed three on the SEC All-Freshman Team with Huff, Jordan Fusco, and Claire Rain each making the list. George, French, Thomas and Huff were all named to the 2021 United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I All-Southeast Region First Team, and Thomas and French each earned All-America honors, making second and third teams, respectively.

View attachment 622311
View attachment 622312

Coach quits.

I don’t think anyone saw it coming or expected Pensky to leave. It felt similar to me in the way Kiffin left. The timing was really bad.
Yeah we had a great year in 2021, but looking back on his overall career in Knoxville, I wouldn’t rate it that high.

IMG_6559.jpeg
IMG_6561.jpeg
Comparing Angela Kelly and Brian Pensky’s careers at Tennessee

As far as making the NCAA Tournament

Kelly 9 out of 12 seasons 75%
Pensky 4 out of 10 seasons 40%

SEC Regular season champs
Kelly 3 out 14 21%
Pensky 0 out of 10 0%

Qualifying for the Sec Tournament
Kelly 14 out of 14 100%
Pensky 7 out of 10 70%

SEC Tournament Finals
Kelly 5 out of 14 36%
Pensky 1 out 10 10%

SEC Tournament Champions
Kelly 4 out 14 29%
Pensky 1 out of 10 10%

Total Trophy’s
Total SEC Regular season & SEC Tournament Championships combined
Kelly 7 in 14 years

Pensky 1 in 10 years

Coming next
Finding a new coach

Reactions: brittannica
This was posted by the college soccer truth.

NIL Money and TV Money will Destroy college athletics.

There will be 3 Tiers of College Athletics:

Tier 1: The Haves

-Power 4 conference

This tier likely to split away from the NCAA.

Tier 2: Have Nots

-Mid Major D1’s

This tier will be the transfer portal league. Do well and transfer to Tier 1. Will struggle financially. You can say they’ll be the new D2 league.

Tier 3: The Never Had

-D2, D3, NAIA, JC

This tier will have move school closures. If the government passes the law that athletes are considered employees, the Academia department will close athletic departments because they won’t be able to afford paying athletes as employees.

Lady Vols Chatterton and Midgley

View attachment 622777

Wow, I have to say that those UT hockey uniforms are hideous. I"m not a fan of the blue, to begin with, though it's not bad as a women's soccer top. But, for me, it is definitely a color for women's teams--it's a very soft color--and just does not work well with men. And that feminine, old-fashioned script Lady Vols logo is another problem, as is the checkerboard around the legs. There's way too much checkerboard. The uniform on the left is a proper hockey uni; the Vol uniform looks like something from a circus, frankly. And why would a men's team use the women's logo and not the Power T?

Coach quits.

I don’t think anyone saw it coming or expected Pensky to leave. It felt similar to me in the way Kiffin left. The timing was really bad.
Yeah we had a great year in 2021, but looking back on his overall career in Knoxville, I wouldn’t rate it that high.

View attachment 622745
View attachment 622756
Comparing Angela Kelly and Brian Pensky’s careers at Tennessee

As far as making the NCAA Tournament

Kelly 9 out of 12 seasons 75%
Pensky 4 out of 10 seasons 40%

SEC Regular season champs
Kelly 3 out 14 21%
Pensky 0 out of 10 0%

Qualifying for the Sec Tournament
Kelly 14 out of 14 100%
Pensky 7 out of 10 70%

SEC Tournament Finals
Kelly 5 out of 14 36%
Pensky 1 out 10 10%

SEC Tournament Champions
Kelly 4 out 14 29%
Pensky 1 out of 10 10%

Total Trophy’s
Total SEC Regular season & SEC Tournament Championships combined
Kelly 7 in 14 years

Pensky 1 in 10 years

Coming next
Finding a new coach

Hiring a new coach.

We were all still in shock with Pensky leaving to FSU and I don’t think anyone knew what direction the University would go with the replacement. So just a few days later, Danny White made the big announcement. In the video you see how excited the team was with the hire.

IMG_6596.jpeg
Joe Kirt, a mainstay on the Tennessee sideline since 2007, has been named UT's women's soccer head coach, as announced by Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White on Friday.

During his 15 seasons on Rocky Top, Kirt has helped guide the Lady Vols to two SEC Tournament championships, two SEC Eastern Division championships and seven NCAA Tournament appearances. As an assistant at Tennessee, Kirt played vital roles in goalkeeper development, technical and functional development for field players as well as constructing and implementing the program's game model.

The person that brought Kirt to Knoxville

ANGELA KELLY, CURRENT TEXAS WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH​

IMG_6602.jpeg
"What an exciting time for Joe Kirt and the Tennessee soccer program. Joe has been in Knoxville, and a mainstay of the Tennessee soccer program, for 15-plus years now. There is no doubt that he will hit the ground running as the new head coach of the Lady Vols. I wish Joe and his family all the very best on his new position."

Contract which is public information.

IMG_6597.jpegIMG_6598.jpegIMG_6599.jpegIMG_6600.jpegIMG_6601.jpeg

Hiring a new coach.

We were all still in shock with Pensky leaving to FSU and I don’t think anyone knew what direction the University would go with the replacement. So just a few days later, Danny White made the big announcement. In the video you see how excited the team was with the hire.

View attachment 622942
Joe Kirt, a mainstay on the Tennessee sideline since 2007, has been named UT's women's soccer head coach, as announced by Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White on Friday.

During his 15 seasons on Rocky Top, Kirt has helped guide the Lady Vols to two SEC Tournament championships, two SEC Eastern Division championships and seven NCAA Tournament appearances. As an assistant at Tennessee, Kirt played vital roles in goalkeeper development, technical and functional development for field players as well as constructing and implementing the program's game model.

The person that brought Kirt to Knoxville

ANGELA KELLY, CURRENT TEXAS WOMEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH​

View attachment 622943
"What an exciting time for Joe Kirt and the Tennessee soccer program. Joe has been in Knoxville, and a mainstay of the Tennessee soccer program, for 15-plus years now. There is no doubt that he will hit the ground running as the new head coach of the Lady Vols. I wish Joe and his family all the very best on his new position."

Contract which is public information.

View attachment 622950View attachment 622951View attachment 622952View attachment 622953View attachment 622954

It’s nice to see the contract incentives laid out so clearly!

Reactions: MAD
This was posted by the college soccer truth.

NIL Money and TV Money will Destroy college athletics.

There will be 3 Tiers of College Athletics:

Tier 1: The Haves

-Power 4 conference

This tier likely to split away from the NCAA.

Tier 2: Have Nots

-Mid Major D1’s

This tier will be the transfer portal league. Do well and transfer to Tier 1. Will struggle financially. You can say they’ll be the new D2 league.

Tier 3: The Never Had

-D2, D3, NAIA, JC

This tier will have move school closures. If the government passes the law that athletes are considered employees, the Academia department will close athletic departments because they won’t be able to afford paying athletes as employees.

It's all a massive mess--and a few judges have played a big role in making it so because they suddenly seem to think that college athletics is a conventional business and should be legally required to operate as such--subject to anti-trust laws and full-time student-athletes as "employees." I spoken out about this on the football boards, and think it's all complete nonsense. College athletic departments are quite clearly not a conventional business; they are part of mostly public educational institutions. Much of the football revenue is used to subsidize all the non-revenue sports--upwards of 15 of them, more at other schools--which lose money and will always lose money. No conventional business would invest annually in ventures guaranteed to lose money. Black activists have pushed this myth that everybody involved in college football is getting rich on the backs of poor, exploited players. Twaddle. You never hear the activists or any of the proponents of paying players mention the free college education that football and BB players are getting--free everything, including tutoring, counseling, coaching--which over four years is worth a LOT of money--upwards of $250K, I'd estimate. And the only people in college football who are getting rich are the head coaches--who admittedly are overpaid, but who also have very tenuous job security--and, maybe, TV executives. A free college education is not cash-in-the-pocket, and that's what the activists are all about. In any case, the courts are a problem---I don't get how college ADs can be thought a conventional business----but it's going to be hell to sort out. Everybody slams the NCAA--but it's a member-school organization. And if it goes away, a new governing body will have to be created--and then those running it will find out how difficult it is to govern/regulate major-college football and its genuinely, ridiculously crazy fans. And NIL in recruiting? It's a terrible thing--a fool's errand for multiple reasons. The Ivy League has had it right all along.

Interesting to see that Kirt contract. It shows that, sadly, non-revenue coaches don't get much respect--don't get much pay! Matt Kredich is one of the best swimming coaches in the country and I doubt he makes more than $200K--and I think I read recently that his extension from White came with a pathetic $10,000 raise. I'll have to double-check that. But the pay for non-rev coaches is nothing compared to the football and basketball coaches, most of whom are grossly overpaid. If Kirt were to win the national title he'd get a bonus of $42K. Not much. And wasn't the bonus for SEC coach of the year $5K? That's cheap. If Heupel were to win the national title, I'm sure he'd get $1 million.

As I've said before, I'm surprised that a new coach with no experience would get a 5 year contract--seems long, but maybe that's a function of the pay being so modest (at best). As I read the contract, if Kirt were to be let go between now and the end of his contract (in 2026), he'd get no buyout/separation pay, since that little benefit was only valid through the end of 2023. In any case, I hope Kirt keeps his job--but I think it's fair to say he has to do better than he has the first two years of his tenure.

I looked online to try and find out what Kelly is making at Texas, but couldn't find it. I did the same for Pensky at FSU, and saw one reference to $250K for his salary--but I have a feeling he's making more than that. And I'd be curious to know what his bonus was for winning the national title.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
I’m looking at the Gold Cup standings and the remaining schedule to see how Danielle Marcano and Puerto Rico qualifies for the knockout stage.

If PR wins they are in.

If PR Draws they are pretty much in as well because of the point differential.

Even with a loss tomorrow, PR can still advance.

Best case scenario would be for Argentina and Dominican Republic to draw tonight, that would pretty much lock it up for PR no matter what happens.

IMG_6621.jpeg

IMG_6622.jpegIMG_6624.jpeg

RE Gold Cup: By point differential to you mean Goals For vs. Goals Against? Doesn't Colombia have a big advantage over
PR by that metric--5 in the PLUS column for Colombia vs. 0 for PR?

Do only the two top teams in each group advance--or do some 3rd place teams also get in--as is the case with some tournaments, including
the World Cup, I believe?

Colombia is a big, physical team. Some team was playing Colombia in its last friendly before the World Cup--either Australia or an EU team, I want to say--and they stopped the game prematurely because Colombia was committing too many rough fouls and the coach
was pissed and didn't want his players getting hurt before the big tournament.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
RE Gold Cup: By point differential to you mean Goals For vs. Goals Against? Doesn't Colombia have a big advantage over
PR by that metric--5 in the PLUS column for Colombia vs. 0 for PR?

Do only the two top teams in each group advance--or do some 3rd place teams also get in--as is the case with some tournaments, including
the World Cup, I believe?

Colombia is a big, physical team. Some team was playing Colombia in its last friendly before the World Cup--either Australia or an EU team, I want to say--and they stopped the game prematurely because Colombia was committing too many rough fouls and the coach
was pissed and didn't want his players getting hurt before the big tournament.
Two out of the three third place teams advance.

Reactions: turbovol

VN Store

Back