Last December all of VN agreed this season would be VERY tough.

start naming players who have actually performed at a level needed to win games at any point in their career.

Go worry about your Gators and stop being a condescending jerk here. We've had that conversation before... but for your edification... go check what the NFL draft analysts are saying about various UT players.

Reactions: 2 people
What's that old saying?

You can't teach speed

Their TE went off and left our Lbs and almost out ran our secondary

Yep. He kept running 8 yds, turning around, catching the ball with no defender within 10 yards. Wide open over... and over... and over. That isn't a matter of speed and I would bet that the guy is NOT faster than UT's secondary or the LB's besides AJ.

You CAN teach guys to be in position and CAN adjust to a play/player who is killing you.

Remember the UCLA game a few years back? UT should have beaten them. Had them beaten. Then they found that same play against Chavis and beat the Vols with it.

That was before "Butch Got It."

Hell, last week after beating WKU, half of these posters were predicting a UT win over Oregon, and were shocked the line went to -28.

Reality and this place have never met.

This, this, this.

After WKU, a LOT of fans here (some of which I haven't seen back yet) not only said we had a "good chance" of beating Oregon, but they scoffed at the line, promised our team would at the least cover the spread and wouldn't give up nearly as many points, that Oregon was not that good, and gave any Vol fan who didn't agree a ton of grief.

Reactions: 1 person
This, this, this.

After WKU, a LOT of fans here (some of which I haven't seen back yet) not only said we had a "good chance" of beating Oregon, but they scoffed at the line, promised our team would at the least cover the spread and wouldn't give up nearly as many points, that Oregon was not that good, and gave any Vol fan who didn't agree a ton of grief.

They're at the VFL convention learning how to be more VFL

That was before "Butch Got It."

Hell, last week after beating WKU, half of these posters were predicting a UT win over Oregon, and were shocked the line went to -28.

Reality and this place have never met.

You got that right!

Go worry about your Gators and stop being a condescending jerk here. We've had that conversation before... but for your edification... go check what the NFL draft analysts are saying about various UT players.

it's not condescending. it's reality.

i really don't understand why you believe players who have never performed well are all of a sudden going to perform well.

it would be like if i kept being confused as to why jeff driskel isn't good. after awhile, you just come to the conclusion that the guy isn't very good. there are plenty of guys who do have athletic ability that aren't very good football players.

Knew the Vols would lose and by the point spread. Heck, UVA only scored 10 points. How well will the PAC 12 do overall this year? Will they have more than 4 teams in the top 20? I think the SEC will have at least 4.

A lot of posters would look back at the 2007 season and call it a success because UT won the SEC East. Inside of that season was a trip to Gainesville where UT lost 59-20!

In my opinion that a much worse loss than this past Sat. That was a conference game against a heated rival and UT got hammered.

This was a trip across the country with a mediocre team.

This fanbase gets too high when UT beats APSU and WKU and gets too low when UT loses to Oregon. There needs to be some sort of sanity to keep expectations in check.

Basically only the "easily swayed" bought into the new "real coach" rah rah. Don't get me wrong, I support Butch and I think he'll get it done - but IN TIME, when his recruiting classes develop. These are Fooley's players and to expect anything other than failure from them is ludicrous.

Reactions: 3 people
Basically only the "easily swayed" bought into the new "real coach" rah rah. Don't get me wrong, I support Butch and I think he'll get it done - but IN TIME, when his recruiting classes develop. These are Fooley's players and to expect anything other than failure from them is ludicrous.

this x1000

Didn't think we would win. Was thinking we would lose by 35 or so. It actually makes it easier to stomach when you expect to lose. I used get pissed for days after a loss, but past few years have taught me to ignore that. The Kentucky loss really taught me that.

That being said, I like the thought of this being unacceptable. I like that the coach might actually be pissed off after a loss. I like that this feels bitter to him. I want to see the team get pissed off now.
I want to be annoyed again after a loss, but know it is really 2 years away before that.

We have poor depth, no doubt. But We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to look much better than we did on Saturday. We have to improve and show some resiliency in our playcalling during the gauntlet of SEC play coming up.

Does anyone else remember the thread? :)

I think we need an official VN Psychologist. Anyone willing to take the position?

Let's not forget that Butch is getting paid over 3 million dollars a year to do his job and is held accountable for his results. The fans would not have been as upset except that it was a slaughter at Oregon. Had we made any kind of reasonable showing, I think the fans would have been ok including myself. I am willing to look at his "Body of Work" at the end of the 2015 season. If by then he has not improved the overall "Body of Work", then something has to be changed.

Let's not forget that Butch is getting paid over 3 million dollars a year to do his job and is held accountable for his results. The fans would not have been as upset except that it was a slaughter at Oregon. Had we made any kind of reasonable showing, I think the fans would have been ok including myself. I am willing to look at his "Body of Work" at the end of the 2015 season. If by then he has not improved the overall "Body of Work", then something has to be changed.

Lol - we've had plenty of well paid guys at the helm. That's never been an issue. I like Butch and injuries and Couch likely set us back but we absolutely could have had a better showing against OR. Not beat them but better overall.

Lol - we've had plenty of well paid guys at the helm. That's never been an issue. I like Butch and injuries and Couch likely set us back but we absolutely could have had a better showing against OR. Not beat them but better overall.

what could tennessee do?

what part of oregon's offense could tennessee's defense take advantage of? where did tennessee have a matchup advantage?

I apologize if a lot of my comments have been stated already but here goes, I have been a fan since the Condredge Holloway days and can remember that early in Coach Battle's tenure we had a great teams that were top 10 caliber squads, slowly Coach Dickey's recruits graduated and we were left with only Coach Battle's recruits, after that it took Coach Majors approximately 5 to 8 years to build a consistent winner, and even after that we had a losing season in 1988, when lost our first 6 games and ran off 5 wins in a row. My point is that we need to be patient and realize that this isn't the first time Tennessee Volunteers football has been rebuilt. It happened in the 1960's with Coach Dickey and it took him about 5 years also. In my opinion Coach Jones has a tougher job ahead of him than what Coach Majors was faced with, but I do believe he will get the job done, and as we all know the main ingredient to winning football is talented, smart and coachable players. Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated and impatient also but in the end I will always be a Vols fan. Sorry for the long post and GBO!

what could tennessee do?

what part of oregon's offense could tennessee's defense take advantage of? where did tennessee have a matchup advantage?

Our offense could have not had 10 consecutive 3 and outs. On paper our Oline was the only group that was better, on paper. They failed drastically to control the LOS. The only way to slow down their Off. Is to keep them off the field, we were out manned and out coached. We need to improve.

Why do some of our fans automatically turn to the "get outta here" when an opposing fan posts something they don't like?

It's not like 99gator hasn't proven to be a quality poster; stop acting like a 12 year old.

VN Store

Back