Level of Defensive Back Talent

.I believe that this year's backfield talent and size will make a large difference in coverage. We have not had the speed to re-connect if a first step or angle lately.If volnation wishes to see what a great defensive backfield was,look at 1970 and 1971.Other years were very good also,but,37 int's in70,30 int's in 71 with six td's.Cb's Conrad Graham and David Allen along with Tim Priest,Bobby Majors at safety.The student section and most of the rest of the crowd would stand and chant something like "throw it"or "oskie". Ten game seasons.
Yes, 37 interceptions in 10-game regular seasons are unheard of. Can you imagine AVERAGING just under 4 interceptions per game? That was also in an era when the ball wasn’t thrown around as much as it is today.

Chris is right, until the boys prove otherwise. I think they will. Well, rather, I hope so. IF, IF, IF Martinez coaches them to turn their heads around and look for the ball. Instead of just playing to tackle or trying to tackle the WRs after they have caught the ball. After all, stealing is legal in both baseball, and football, except they call it interceptions in football. I mean, you know, thievery, and burglary are the same thing. And in football, when you stop and think about it, DBs do wear masks, some even wear gloves. So, I figure if they dress like criminals, act like criminals, on the field that is.

I think TN has recruited talent at DB for a while now. The problem is it never develops into what we think it should on paper. Lets hope this group changes the narrative.
Not to this level. Out of our top three cornerbacks the past two seasons, none of them were blue chip recruits. Our top three corners this year are all either a blue chip (4star+ recruit) or a freshman All-American last year in (McCoy). Talent has improved.

The secondary has been lacking elite SEC speed and athleticism for a while now. Hopefully, this new group of signees along with transfers can provide improvements in those areas. I feel confident that our D line is going to a very solid group of players that will help mask some of the deficiencies at DB if they still persist this season.

We still have a ways to go to get where we want to be.

- more speed than last year
Turrentine, Charles , Slaughter and Carter all bring playmaker ability and athleticism and to the safety spots.

At STAR, I believe both Jordan and Jacobe Thomas will bring physicality.

Gibson and McCoy are the starting CBs. Both young but talented. Behind them is a question mark in Matthew’s and a temple transfer.
Beasley and Goree round out the CBs

It’s better than it has been, but we’ve missed in recruiting quite a bit in these spots and have been heavily dependent on the Transfer portal just to fill gaps.

However, with our D-line they should play well regardless. Only Georgia will be able to really test them

I’m curious to see who the Top 10 DBs will be
A great safety can anticipate and close… we’ve had heel setters in the past.

Hoping/expecting Hayward is a vol. I believe we are upping the talent by recruiting and the portal depth will keep getting better.

Last edited:
Love our boys, but our D-back talent has not been championship level in a long time.

Has CJH brought up the talent and depth for us to compete this year?
Should be BETTER, but if it translates or not is what we'll have to wait and see.

FAHR MARTINEZ

Maybe Chris has not spent enough time in Knoxville recently. We have more pure talent back there than we have had ib years and years. With a little more experience, it will be one of our biggest strengths.
Problem is same coach

Garner was able to take what he had on the DL and coach it up. Even our LBs looked improved last year. But for some reason the only way our DB coach, who has been coaching for 30+ years, can look decent is when he has great talent around him. Oh and it took till year 4.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Boo Carter is who I’m most excited about we haven’t had that level of playmaker in the secondary since EB… I’m not saying he will be that good though I’m hopeful I’m just saying from a mere ability to score the ball we have not had a db with that much raw ability in a long time… he will be fun to watch and has that game changer potential all over him… I could see him being a starter by mid season… my ideal secondary is Gibson and McCoy at corner… Jordan Thomas and Andre at safeties and boo in the slot/star spot with Christian Charles, Matthews, and Mcmurray, Harrison, and slaughter spelling… curious to see how the MTSU transfer looks as well I’m not quite sold on hon yet. Overall I like this secondary from an athletic standpoint more than I have any other secondary in Knoxville in a while.

8 ints. Jimmy Smyth's article began "Buddy Bennett's Tennessee Bandits". It had been 11 year since Bama was last shutout by Penn State in the Liberty Bowl.

View attachment 661862

View attachment 661858
Thanks for the update Willis. 54 years is hard to recall. Can’t believe we picked ‘em for 8. Even better than I remember. I was also wrong in thinking the tide had not been blanked SINCE 1970, but their 2000 team was skunked twice ( S. Miss and LSU ). Hope UT can make both events happen again.

Who would the board choose as the new defensive backs coach if Heupel decides to move on from CWM in 2025?

I would not mind seeing an NFL db coach potentially get hired.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back