Level of Defensive Back Talent

Thanks for the update Willis. 54 years is hard to recall. Can’t believe we picked ‘em for 8. Even better than I remember. I was also wrong in thinking the tide had not been blanked SINCE 1970, but their 2000 team was skunked twice ( S. Miss and LSU ). Hope UT can make both events happen again.
Oskie was yelled a lot that day.

👍 yep they are getting harder to remember. That W made the series 23-23-7 next 12 years weren't as good.

Last edited:
I think TN has recruited talent at DB for a while now. The problem is it never develops into what we think it should on paper. Lets hope this group changes the narrative.
We haven’t had the number of raw athletes that we have currently. Hadden was good. We really struggled to add the kind of speed we needed till the last few classes. Current recruiting class is much better than their ratings; probably the best secondary class we’ve had in a good long while.

Who would the board choose as the new defensive backs coach if Heupel decides to move on from CWM in 2025?

I would not mind seeing an NFL db coach potentially get hired.
Doesn’t really matter who we would choose. Heup and banks wanted CWM back. If he retired they probably promote someone in house. Have to see though, Banks at some point will likely be a head coach.

DBs will play predominantly man coverage with safety over the top this yr I think. Knowing who you got & not getting beat off the snap will be key. These guys are more athletic. If the DL does their job, we should see improvement.

On what he has seen from Tennessee’s new-look secondary

“I’ve said it from the beginning of the offseason to our coaches and our players. It can’t just be one guy at one position. We’re going to have to play multiple guys. It’s just the nature of being in this league and the game that we play. I really do like the length, athleticism. I feel like this last block since our last scrimmage that continued to be better just in their fundamentals technique, assignment, discipline within the structure of of the defense. We got to continue to get better. Good teams do. That’s during the course of the season. It’s here as we’re finishing up training camp. But really like what we’ve seen from that group.”

Love our boys, but our D-back talent has not been championship level in a long time.

Has CJH brought up the talent and depth for us to compete this year?
This coaching staff told last years' whole defensive backs' room to kick rocks! So if the coaching staff believes we've upgraded, I'll take their word for it... So it's a yes for me. GBO!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Problem is same coach
We will see. The talent is a lot better but needs experience. A couple of the Freshmen will be better than those who left and the 5-6 players in front of them will be better this year. I am not worried about our defense this year, but our opponents should be.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back