Marlin Lane out..

This is from Evan Woodberry and is consistent with other reports I've read. I think Fortenberry is the one who mentioned disciplinary reasons, but I might be wrong about that.

Running back Marlin Lane, who is fighting Rajion Neal to be the Vols’ first-string running back, missed practice for undisclosed reasons. Head coach Butch Jones does not meet with reporters on Thursdays. His assistants seemed uncertain when Lane would return. Last week, Jones said Lane was absent to deal with an illness in his family.

Actually it was Brice, not Fortenberry, according to a post in the recruiting forum.

link

Woodberry:
Jones does not typically speak to the media Thursdays, and assistants made the timetable for Lane’s return appear uncertain.

“That’s up to Coach Jones,” said offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian.

I never pegged Lane to be another Dooley problem child.

Looking back a lot of folks wondered why he didn't play more under Dooley. Also, Dooley kept saying he needed to play harder and practice harder. We all just figured Dooley was an idiot and that's why he didn't play Lane. Well, maybe he was a problem and Jones is still having to clean up some poor attitudes.

Btw, this is all speculation and I hope Lane can get it but if he doesn't then he can sit and watch. Lets all face it, the kid rushed for 600 yards last year with our line. We will be fine.

Looking back a lot of folks wondered why he didn't play more under Dooley. Also, Dooley kept saying he needed to play harder and practice harder. We all just figured Dooley was an idiot and that's why he didn't play Lane. Well, maybe he was a problem and Jones is still having to clean up some poor attitudes.

Btw, this is all speculation and I hope Lane can get it but if he doesn't then he can sit and watch. Lets all face it, the kid rushed for 600 yards last year with our line. We will be fine.

He only had 120 carries... He averaged over 5 yards a touch, and a full ypc better than Neal. I'd say we need him.

Reactions: 6 people
He only had 120 carries... He averaged over 5 yards a touch, and a full ypc better than Neal. I'd say we need him.

Didn't say that we didn't need him. I'm just saying Dooley had problems with him. It's better to eliminate bad seeds now and not let crap develop. Calm down man. If he doesn't get it, then he can sit. If he doesn't get it enough then he can leave.

Btw, you proved my point with your stats. If he was better than Neal, then why so little pt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Didn't say that we didn't need him. I'm just saying Dooley had problems with him. It's better to eliminate bad seeds now and not let crap develop. Calm down man. If he doesn't get it, then he can sit. If he doesn't get it enough then he can leave.

Btw, you proved my point with your stats. If he was better than Neal, then why so little pt.

Both of you guys bring valid points but the problem is we have no proven depth at RB. Young is a WR now. Watson is gone. Lane is in trouble. That leaves Neal, Tom Smiith, Jabo Lee, and Aldon Hill.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of jumping to conclusions right now…I’ve heard everything from grade issues to family issues to bad attitudes. Lets just wait till one of the coaches addresses it specifically…

Lane didn't get the ball in the same short yardage situations that they gave it to Neal in. I actually agree, we do need him - but as a backup to Neal, who pretty clearly established himself as the primary guy last year before he got hurt.

VN Store

Back