May I add some reality to our situation?

CountVolcula

Eternal Vol
I have been a Vol fan for a long time. I just so happen to have been able to see both the good and bad of UT Football

Today was very bad, but I can't blame Butch just yet

Since 2007, our recruiting has killed us. In 2009, Kiffin had to start two walkons on the Offensive line. Since 2007, our team speed went from being tops in the SEC, to being one of the worst, all because of recruiting.

Since 2009, our attrition has also killed us. We have had some very talented players transfer, quit, or just not pan out.

On top of that, since 2008, we have been through 4 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators and their defensive philosophies, 3 Offensive coordinates and 3 different schemes.

On top of all of that, we have had injuries to key players at inopportune times. Couple that with our never ending depth issues, it has added to the misery

Now looking to next year, it could be even worse. We could lose all 5 starters on the offensive line. We will have an untested offensive line, still be unsure at QB, new starting RB, and still young Wrs. A majority of starters on the D line and Lbs will be gone and not many hopefuls to take their place. Our secondary will be comprised of mostly sophomores and freshmen.

I know this doesn't sound promising and its not. Next year could be the worst season in a long time

But there is a bright side. Our recruiting has picked up considerably. We have recruited best since the early 2000's. We will need this several years in a row to get our depth and talent where it needs to be to compete with the best in the country. We must be able to maintain so sort of consistency in the coaching staff and schemes in order for it to become second nature to these players.

Our coaching as improved drastically. I know it doesn't appear that way, but it has. Our lack of talent and depth is masking the improvements made just in the last 11 months.

Foremost, we must be patient and support the team. They don't need us to give up on them. We need to gut it out, because its going to get better. Its just going to take a little more time. I too, am tired of waiting for the return to glory. But my gloating, crying, *****ing, and moaning is not going to help the situation

Anyway, that's my two cents. It may not be what you want to hear, but its the reality we find ourselves in

Go Vols!!

Hammer away.

Reactions: 49 people
The truth hurts. Even if I know it, it doesn't make the sting lessen

Well, having an experienced O-line sure paid dividends today. Not. Honestly, who cares if the online is gone. Look at the run production of Hardesty behind that crap line. This line ought to be road grating teams but they aren't.

Reactions: 7 people
I have been a Vol fan for a long time. I just so happen to have been able to see both the good and bad of UT Football

Since 2007, our recruiting has killed us. In 2009, Kiffin had to start two walkons on the Offensive line. Since 2007, our team speed went from being tops in the SEC, to being one of the worst, all because of recruiting.

Since 2009, our attrition has also killed us. We have had some very talented players transfer, quit, or just not pan out.

On top of that, since 2008, we have been through 4 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators and their defensive philosophies, 3 Offensive coordinates and 3 different schemes.

On top of all of that, we have had injuries to key players at inopportune times. Couple that with our never ending depth issues, it has added to the misery

Now looking to next year, it could be even worse. We could lose all 5 starters on the offensive line. We will have an untested offensive line, still be unsure at QB, new starting RB, and still young Wrs. A majority of starters on the D line and Lbs will be gone and not many hopefuls to take their place. Our secondary will be comprised of mostly sophomores and freshmen.

I know this doesn't sound promising and its not. Next year could be the worst season in a long time

But there is a bright side. Our recruiting has picked up considerably. We have recruited best since the early 2000's. We will need this several years in a row to get our depth and talent where it needs to be to compete with the best in the country. We must be able to maintain so sort of consistency in the coaching staff and schemes in order for it to become second nature to these players.

Our coaching as improved drastically. I know it doesn't appear that way, but it has. Our lack of talent and depth is masking the improvements made just in the last 11 months.

Foremost, we must be patient and support the team. They don't need us to give up on them. We need to gut it out, because its going to get better. Its just going to take a little more time. I too, am tired of waiting for the return to glory. But my gloating, crying, *****ing, and moaning is not going to help the situation

Anyway, that's my two cents. It may not be what you want to hear, but its the reality we find ourselves in

Go Vols!!

Hammer away.

Indeed!!

Now we know where we really are. We suck bad. Hopefully they actually improve this year unlike under Dooley. Hopefully Butch continues to recruit well and get his type of players on board. Hopefully once he does, it is enough to compete and win SEC championships. I got to think he will succeed just by looking at the talent we have coming in next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, having an experienced O-line sure paid dividends today. Not. Honestly, who cares if the online is gone. Look at the run production of Hardesty behind that crap line. This line ought to be road grating teams but they aren't.

I guess they're more suited for a pro style offense than the spread.

I agree with the road grating

But Hardesty had speed and could hit the hole. Something our current backs lack

Now we know where we really are. We suck bad. Hopefully they actually improve this year unlike under Dooley. Hopefully Butch continues to recruit well and get his type of players on board. Hopefully once he does, it is enough to compete and win SEC championships. I got to think he will succeed just by looking at the talent we have coming in next year.

Lots of people knew where we really are before this game, but were dismissed, called original and creative names like negavol, etc..

Reactions: 7 people
Agree, Count, with all your points. My concern would be if this season unravels and then we struggle again next year, as you suggest. I'm not sure Butch can keep up the momentum in recruiting if we struggle to much..

Go Vols!!

Hammer away.

I think there are a lot of young posters here. Not a slam, just an observation.

Anyone who has raised kids, who has been in a marriage/ long-term relationship, who has been working for the same employer for a long time knows that you're gonna hit some bad times. Sometimes you're gonna hit some REALLY bad times.

Wishing and hoping and running wind sprints don't mean that the bad times will get better overnight. You have to accept that things took a while to get this bad, and they're gonna take a while --and a ton of work --to get better.

Have some faith, have some patience, have some Maker's Mark (maybe more than some), and try to find some perspective. Give a hug to your wife/ husband/ GF/ BF/ kids/ cat/ dog/ neighbor/ co-worker and keep looking forward.

GBO!

Reactions: 3 people

I have a feeling there will be more of this line back next year after todays performance

The reality before the season kicked off, which remains the reality now so far as I can see, is that this team is nowhere close to being able to beat Oregon, UF, SC, Bama or UGA even on our best day and thier worst. The Vols will almost certainly be underdogs to Mizzou, Aubie & Vandy, which means this team is probably going to have to pull two upsets in November just to get to a bowl eligible 6-6 record. I thought that all of you understood this months ago and I'm kind of shocked by the amount of disappointment on this board following a game that we all knew we would lose.

Reactions: 3 people
The reality before the season kicked off, which remains the reality now so far as I can see, is that this team is nowhere close to being able to beat Oregon, UF, SC, Bama or UGA even on our best day and thier worst. The Vols will almost certainly be underdogs to Mizzou, Aubie & Vandy, which means this team is probably going to have to pull two upsets in November just to get to a bowl eligible 6-6 record. I thought that all of you understood this months ago and I'm kind of shocked by the amount of disappointment on this board following a game that we all knew we would lose.

Some just hyped themselves into believing we are better than advertised

I think there are a lot of young posters here. Not a slam, just an observation.

Anyone who has raised kids, who has been in a marriage/ long-term relationship, who has been working for the same employer for a long time knows that you're gonna hit some bad times. Sometimes you're gonna hit some REALLY bad times.

Wishing and hoping and running wind sprints don't mean that the bad times will get better overnight. You have to accept that things took a while to get this bad, and they're gonna take a while --and a ton of work --to get better.

Have some faith, have some patience, have some Maker's Mark (maybe more than some), and try to find some perspective. Give a hug to your wife/ husband/ GF/ BF/ kids/ cat/ dog/ neighbor/ co-worker and keep looking forward.

GBO!

Made in Kentucky, not a VFL imho. :no: :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Some just hyped themselves into believing we are better than advertised
I'm seeing the same thing with the bravado concerning the Florida game. It's OKAY to not expect to win at this point. People should just be having fun watching the games and not getting stressed about the losses. As long as the recruiting class stays together, this team is playing with house money.

VN Store

Back