May I add some reality to our situation?

So it will get worse before it gets better....

Great...I was really hoping we'd have to wait another year to be competitive....Dreams=Answered.

Since 2009, our attrition has also killed us. We have had some very talented players transfer, quit, or just not pan out.

I think the ABC crew said that 2 players from Kiffin's recruiting class were left. That has killed our depth.

Reactions: 3 people
We are what we are, and that's hard to accept. I was holding onto and hoping that we won't go 4 losing seasons in a row - one of the few records we have left. Alas, I may have have to let go of that one, too.

This has been more than painful. But I won't quit donating (as long as I'm employed), and I won't quit showing up to games and pulling for my beloved team. However, I will never, never, never accept that it is okay to lose - never.

I will give my all for Tennessee today.

Reactions: 2 people
I have been a Vol fan for a long time. I just so happen to have been able to see both the good and bad of UT Football

Today was very bad, but I can't blame Butch just yet

Since 2007, our recruiting has killed us. In 2009, Kiffin had to start two walkons on the Offensive line. Since 2007, our team speed went from being tops in the SEC, to being one of the worst, all because of recruiting.

Since 2009, our attrition has also killed us. We have had some very talented players transfer, quit, or just not pan out.

On top of that, since 2008, we have been through 4 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators and their defensive philosophies, 3 Offensive coordinates and 3 different schemes.

On top of all of that, we have had injuries to key players at inopportune times. Couple that with our never ending depth issues, it has added to the misery

Now looking to next year, it could be even worse. We could lose all 5 starters on the offensive line. We will have an untested offensive line, still be unsure at QB, new starting RB, and still young Wrs. A majority of starters on the D line and Lbs will be gone and not many hopefuls to take their place. Our secondary will be comprised of mostly sophomores and freshmen.

I know this doesn't sound promising and its not. Next year could be the worst season in a long time

But there is a bright side. Our recruiting has picked up considerably. We have recruited best since the early 2000's. We will need this several years in a row to get our depth and talent where it needs to be to compete with the best in the country. We must be able to maintain so sort of consistency in the coaching staff and schemes in order for it to become second nature to these players.

Our coaching as improved drastically. I know it doesn't appear that way, but it has. Our lack of talent and depth is masking the improvements made just in the last 11 months.

Foremost, we must be patient and support the team. They don't need us to give up on them. We need to gut it out, because its going to get better. Its just going to take a little more time. I too, am tired of waiting for the return to glory. But my gloating, crying, *****ing, and moaning is not going to help the situation

Anyway, that's my two cents. It may not be what you want to hear, but its the reality we find ourselves in

Go Vols!!

Hammer away.

Been following for 24 years and this gut punch post above folks rings very true ..

Well, having an experienced O-line sure paid dividends today. Not. Honestly, who cares if the online is gone. Look at the run production of Hardesty behind that crap line. This line ought to be road grating teams but they aren't.

because we are running slow developing stretch plays out of shotgun with a running back (neal) who doesn't want to hit holes. This offensive line was built to throw the ball, and they generally pass protect well (i saw them pick up some big blitzes today) but worley doesn't pose a threat.

I think most of us were mentally prepared to lose today, but the reality of seeing it in action still hurts. Analagous to a loved-one passing away after a long illness. Knew it was coming but still hurts.

I don't think it's our speed per se. I think it's the fact that we have been so poorly coached for so long that we have less confidence and instinct at the speedier positions. Our guys, particularly our RBs, have to think when it should be second nature to them at this point in their careers. A player that has to think too much before he makes a play slows himself down. In comparison, Oregon's vaunted RBs were shutdown a lot.

We're inexperienced and still lack depth. Oregon rotates like Bammer does. It's hard for a team with zero experience in the air to compete with only a run game and unfortunately the only way we're going to improve is by playing -- there's just no way around that fact. We have to get a passing game or people will stack the box like Oregon did to slow the run or stop the run.

The stats say a lot:

1st Downs 14 29
Total Yards 316 687
Passing 138 471
Rushing 178 216
Penalties 4-40 8-62
3rd Down Conversions 5-15 6-12
4th Down Conversions 1-1 1-1
Turnovers 1 0
Possession 34:18 25:42

The lack of a passing game killed us.

Last edited:
How long are we going to hide behind the excuse that we are a recruiting class or two away from being able to put a respectable product on the field? I'm not talking about putting a championship winning team on the field, but just a competitive team against good teams. Every season there are teams that lose good players to graduation or injury and they don't suddenly forget how to play football. Most of these teams aren't world beaters, but they at least play respectable football. Tennessee is still far from being at that level when we play a good team.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
OK but we have been in reality for five years now. Reality for this year could be 4 wins and your talking sinking more next year. That want be cool for this batch of coaches next year.

I know I thought this could happen today....hoped for a closer score. I think that reality set in today on how far off we really are. That is not Butch Jones fault.....and I think he is the guy that will get that done. It was just painful to watch for sure. And yes....next year could be worse....but the with the class he is bringing in and the excitement.....I really look forward to the next and the next! Lets support this team and Go Vols!

Count, your absolutely correct, our talent is the worst we've ever had. We must be patient because getting out of this hole will take several years or more. It will be painful for the next couple of years, but we have to endure because we have no choice. I hate the fact that Vandy is the best team in Tennessee and I can't beleive I just said that, but it is true.

my opinion about the future for the Vols is,it will take a lot of good recruiting for years to come,CBJ will have to have several years to do it,as in 3 to 4 years from this year ,which the fan base won't give him and it will be hard to judge him off of what happens this year

I do miss Coach Fulmer ,I still believe he would have done better than what we have been threw,Chief would still have a top 15 Defense and a good Offensive Coordinator would have been found,but that is just opinion :)

I see alot of US ( were all Vol fans ) dogging the O line and RBs and just do not agree. The O line never had a chance today for a very simply reason : we do not have a QB that can complete the most basic throws.

How does that affect run blocking ?

Oregon had NO respect for our passing game and keyed on the backs and the O line. Sometimes they crept up pre-snap ...or other times they crept up and then bailed out into coverage post snap when pass was diagnosed. Other times , they diagnosed pass from their respected positions and collapsed. Whatever the case , they had more guys than blockers at the point of attack when the ball carrier hit the hole. All gaps were filled by purtid yellow.

When our passing game develops..QB and receivers..defenses will not be able to sell out like that . The O line will get more even matchups and will be able to 'road grade'

My criticism of the coaching staff. They should have realized that we can not pass and that Oregon was selling out . They should have put more blockers at the point of attack and played power football to negate their speed. They woulda been better running a single wing than throwing incompletions. Hind sight is 20/20. Easy for me to say from my couch

I have been a Vol fan for a long time. I just so happen to have been able to see both the good and bad of UT Football

Today was very bad, but I can't blame Butch just yet

Since 2007, our recruiting has killed us. In 2009, Kiffin had to start two walkons on the Offensive line. Since 2007, our team speed went from being tops in the SEC, to being one of the worst, all because of recruiting.

On top of that, since 2008, we have been through 4 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators and their defensive philosophies, 3 Offensive coordinates and 3 different schemes.

On top of all of that, we have had injuries to key players at inopportune times. Couple that with our never ending depth issues, it has added to the misery

Now looking to next year, it could be even worse. We could lose all 5 starters on the offensive line. We will have an untested offensive line, still be unsure at QB, new starting RB, and still young Wrs. A majority of starters on the D line and Lbs will be gone and not many hopefuls to take their place. Our secondary will be comprised of mostly sophomores and freshmen.

I know this doesn't sound promising and its not. Next year could be the worst season in a long time

But there is a bright side. Our recruiting has picked up considerably. We have recruited best since the early 2000's. We will need this several years in a row to get our depth and talent where it needs to be to compete with the best in the country. We must be able to maintain so sort of consistency in the coaching staff and schemes in order for it to become second nature to these players.

Our coaching as improved drastically. I know it doesn't appear that way, but it has. Our lack of talent and depth is masking the improvements made just in the last 11 months.

Foremost, we must be patient and support the team. They don't need us to give up on them. We need to gut it out, because its going to get better. Its just going to take a little more time. I too, am tired of waiting for the return to glory. But my gloating, crying, *****ing, and moaning is not going to help the situation

Anyway, that's my two cents. It may not be what you want to hear, but its the reality we find ourselves in

Go Vols!!

Hammer away.

You are hitting the nails on the head. You keep on hammering.

Somebody posted in another thread "why are we running the read option when the QB never keeps it?" This is a very true statement. We need a QB that can, will, and loves to run the ball. We just saw today what a running QB can do to a defense. Any time Their QB even moved forward like he was going to run it, our entire team reacted and got out of position. The result was repeatedly getting torched by recievers who didn't have a defender within 15 yards of them.

I see alot of US ( were all Vol fans ) dogging the O line and RBs and just do not agree. The O line never had a chance today for a very simply reason : we do not have a QB that can complete the most basic throws.

How does that affect run blocking ?

Oregon had NO respect for our passing game and keyed on the backs and the O line. Sometimes they crept up pre-snap ...or other times they crept up and then bailed out into coverage post snap when pass was diagnosed. Other times , they diagnosed pass from their respected positions and collapsed. Whatever the case , they had more guys than blockers at the point of attack when the ball carrier hit the hole. All gaps were filled by purtid yellow.

When our passing game develops..QB and receivers..defenses will not be able to sell out like that . The O line will get more even matchups and will be able to 'road grade'

My criticism of the coaching staff. They should have realized that we can not pass and that Oregon was selling out . They should have put more blockers at the point of attack and played power football to negate their speed. They woulda been better running a single wing than throwing incompletions. Hind sight is 20/20. Easy for me to say from my couch

Team's having a hard enough time learning the basic package without making drastic changes week to week. Gotta stick with it. This game was going to be a loss, because Oregon has for the most part, stuck to an organized system for at least eight to ten years. Butch Jones and company have had 9 months to implement a system that takes a couple of years of consistency to become effective. Our day will come. It just wasn't today.

VN Store

Back