Memorable "Goal Line" Stands

StarRaider

on double secret probation
I was thinking about the goal line stand at the end of the first half in the 1998 game on the Plains (UT beat aubie 17-9, hanging on for the win after Jamal got hurt and things did not look too bright at the time). Wondering about other "goal line stands" not necessarily on the goal line?

From the KNS

Vol fans looked at their Sunday newspapers this day in 1979 and read about a rare occurrence that took place the day before, a major defensive stand near midfield.

"There's never been a goal line stand on the 50-yard line."

That aphorism, a standard football cliché, has probably been in existence since the time of Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg, and/or Knute Rockne. Those whose seats are near or in the end zone know that many of the great plays of Tennessee football have taken place somewhere near the end zone.

The exception was this day in 1979, when Tennessee and Kentucky were tied 17-17 in the final seconds of the game at Commonwealth Stadium. Those lucky folks seated near midfield saw Vol defenders give the white and orange the ball near midfield. Kentucky went for it on fourth-and-short and didn't make it.

The Tennessee offense then got it close enough that Alan Duncan was able to kick the game-winner with but a few ticks left on the clock.

Just remember, please. There are always exceptions to every general rule.

How many of the big plays of Tennessee football history have taken place at midfield? A few, but give most folks a good seat near the goal line and let them take their chances something good might happen in front of them, and they'll be happy.

Besides, the real fans are down near the goal line or in the end zone anyway, aren't they?

I was thinking about the goal line stand at the end of the first half in the 1998 game on the Plains (UT beat aubie 17-9, hanging on for the win after Jamal got hurt and things did not look too bright at the time). Wondering about other "goal line stands" not necessarily on the goal line?

From the KNS

Vol fans looked at their Sunday newspapers this day in 1979 and read about a rare occurrence that took place the day before, a major defensive stand near midfield.

That aphorism, a standard football cliché, has probably been in existence since the time of Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg, and/or Knute Rockne. Those whose seats are near or in the end zone know that many of the great plays of Tennessee football have taken place somewhere near the end zone.

The exception was this day in 1979, when Tennessee and Kentucky were tied 17-17 in the final seconds of the game at Commonwealth Stadium. Those lucky folks seated near midfield saw Vol defenders give the white and orange the ball near midfield. Kentucky went for it on fourth-and-short and didn't make it.

The Tennessee offense then got it close enough that Alan Duncan was able to kick the game-winner with but a few ticks left on the clock.

How many of the big plays of Tennessee football history have taken place at midfield? A few, but give most folks a good seat near the goal line and let them take their chances something good might happen in front of them, and they'll be happy.

Besides, the real fans are down near the goal line or in the end zone anyway, aren't they?

The 2007, overtime game at Kentucky. We win, we advance to the S.E.C. Championship game. A. Woodson is stopped on an attempted 2 point conversion.

The Air Force game at home. Air Force attempts a two point conversion but our linebacker hit the gap and and got the runner before he made it to the end zone.

The 2007, overtime game at Kentucky. We win, we advance to the S.E.C. Championship game. A. Woodson is stopped on an attempted 2 point conversion.

The Air Force game at home. Air Force attempts a two point conversion but our linebacker hit the gap and and got the runner before he made it to the end zone.

The Eddie George stop against T.O.S.U. in the bowl game.

Reactions: 9 people
Before my time, but stopping Billy Cannon of LSU back in 1959 has to be the biggest in UT history...

Bill Duff and others stopping Eddie George in '96 Citrus Bowl is another memorable one :salute:

Reactions: 4 people
I was actually right there for the goal line stand at the barn. Completely bad arse! One of my favorite moments as a fan as I have a lot of barner friends.

For a mid field stop...2003 bama.

If memory serves bama had like a first and 5 from about mid field with less than 3 mins left in the game. BIG STOP. Casey tied it up before the end of regulation. 5 OT's later...history.

1987 at Kentucky. Tennessee led 24-20 but UK had first and goal at the 5 with about 2 minutes to go in the game. They try 4 straight running plays. On 4th and goal from inside the one, we hit the RB before he can jump and he never gets airborne at all. Ballgame! :dance2:

Reactions: 1 person

From the KNS

Besides, the real fans are down near the goal line or in the end zone anyway, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

What if you are sitting in the wrong endzone when all the good stuff happens? You are so far away you have no idea what just happened. :unsure:

The Ohio State game, remember all there first round talent on offence, Pace was on the Line AND Eddie was running with the ball bam he went down, we stop him more than once, they had it first and goal inside the 5 and could not get in.

When LSU had not lost in forever, was #1, and Billy Cannon was winning the Heisman, a not very good Vol team stuffed Cannon short of the goal and ended the streak. Early '60s I think, but I'm too sick to research it.

When LSU had not lost in forever, was #1, and Billy Cannon was winning the Heisman, a not very good Vol team stuffed Cannon short of the goal and ended the streak. Early '60s I think, but I'm too sick to research it.

It was in 1959. After that game Tennessee was crushed by Ole Miss,Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

From the KNS

My favorite is when Eddie George had to go the ED doctor because he came up short. Compliments of Mr. Bill Duff of course

The goal line stand in the 1979 Notre Dame game was a great one.

Exactly the one that leaped to mind when I read the thread title...Craig Puki put on a hat on Vegas Ferguson...I was there. Drove eight hours from Memphis without a ticket...and got one at face value right before kickoff. Worth it all to see that...think we won 42-19? Something like that? I may have my games confused...

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly the one that leaped to mind when I read the thread title...Craig Puki put on a hat on Vegas Ferguson...I was there. Drove eight hours from Memphis without a ticket...and got one at face value right before kickoff. Worth it all to see that...think we won 42-19? Something like that? I may have my games confused...

Ahhh yes Craig Puki! Thanks. UT had lost to rutgers the week before and McMinn County's Hubert Simpson ran wild on the irish. The Eagles played at SAC the night before. What a great weekend that was!

Ahhh yes Craig Puki! Thanks. UT had lost to rutgers the week before and McMinn County's Hubert Simpson ran wild on the irish. The Eagles played at SAC the night before. What a great weekend that was!
I still have the Daily Beacon from that game.

1987 at Kentucky. Tennessee led 24-20 but UK had first and goal at the 5 with about 2 minutes to go in the game. They try 4 straight running plays. On 4th and goal from inside the one, we hit the RB before he can jump and he never gets airborne at all. Ballgame! :dance2:

Mike Whitehead made the last stop. I can still hear John Ward on the call.

VN Store

Back