Met a former player... (Lengthy)

revjayp

šŸ‘ˆšŸ¼Thatā€™s my boy, Knox.
I was traveling recently and had the privilege of meeting a former TN player. He was here during the Fulmer/Kiffin/Dooley debacle. Like any Vol fan, I began to ask questions and gained a lot of insight-some I assumed and some I was oblivious to.
For instance, had it been any other school other than USC, Kiffin would still be here. He said he was a brilliant offensive mind and had the respect of the entire team. Even when he would be in meetings with the offense, he would never try to coach a position of which he knew nothing about. (Unlike Dooley who always tried to throw his 2 cents in. Even to the point that his staff would tell the players to disregard everything he just said.) He believed Kiffin would've had us competing for championships already. (Not so sure I agreed with that as apparent with the current state of USC)
Regarding Fulmer, he definitely got lazy and it showed in the locker room. He would often be found asleep during meetings. Was a great man and loved TN but felt it was time for him to go.
Dooley and his staff was a complete train wreck and quite possibly could be the worst staff ever assembled. Not from football knowledge but from sheer lack of chemistry.(All the more I reason I like how BJ has brought his people with him everywhere he's went.) Dooley allowed DaRick to verbally abuse Coach Baggett without ever doing a thing about it. Dooley had zero football knowledge. Literally. He would say things in meetings that made no sense to even the newest freshman. He was all hair and no substance. But I don't think any of us were fooled by him very far into his tenure. Bottom line, he felt we finally have a staff that understands football but also how to motivate 18-22 yr olds to be excellent on and off the field. Sorry this was so long but thought I'd share.

Reactions: 10 people
I buy a lot of it.

I don't buy that Dooley has zero football knowledge.

That's just dumb

True, he had 0 teaching ability.

Not that he had a vast amount if football knowledge, but he knows what he is talki g about.

I was traveling recently and had the privilege of meeting a former TN player. He was here during the Fulmer/Kiffin/Dooley debacle. Like any Vol fan, I began to ask questions and gained a lot of insight-some I assumed and some I was oblivious to.
For instance, had it been any other school other than USC, Kiffin would still be here. He said he was a brilliant offensive mind and had the respect of the entire team. Even when he would be in meetings with the offense, he would never try to coach a position of which he knew nothing about. (Unlike Dooley who always tried to throw his 2 cents in. Even to the point that his staff would tell the players to disregard everything he just said.) He believed Kiffin would've had us competing for championships already. (Not so sure I agreed with that as apparent with the current state of USC)
Regarding Fulmer, he definitely got lazy and it showed in the locker room. He would often be found asleep during meetings. Was a great man and loved TN but felt it was time for him to go.
Dooley and his staff was a complete train wreck and quite possibly could be the worst staff ever assembled. Not from football knowledge but from sheer lack of chemistry.(All the more I reason I like how BJ has brought his people with him everywhere he's went.) Dooley allowed DaRick to verbally abuse Coach Baggett without ever doing a thing about it. Dooley had zero football knowledge. Literally. He would say things in meetings that made no sense to even the newest freshman. He was all hair and no substance. But I don't think any of us were fooled by him very far into his tenure. Bottom line, he felt we finally have a staff that understands football but also how to motivate 18-22 yr olds to be excellent on and off the field. Sorry this was so long but thought I'd share.
At one time Bridgestone Plant in Lavergne had several UT players working there football and basketball. Just saying.

I met a former player, told me he likes turtles. I believe Kiffin would still be here if USC didn't call. And it shows how much people liked him since their still mad about.

Reactions: 4 people
I buy a lot of it.

I don't buy that Dooley has zero football knowledge.

That's just dumb
Like you, I wonder how he could grow up with a father who is a well respected coach, play the game through college at a major school, coach under Nick Saban for several years in college and the pros, be a head coach at 2 universities, and have zero football knowledge.

Reactions: 15 people
Please refrain from referring to the coach as BJ. Use CBJ, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: 1 person
My guess is Gerald Jones... Knowing that Kiffen was an offensive genius, and that DaRick disrespected Baggit, it would more than likely be a wr, and D Moore, is in the NFL, so chances are, it was prob G Jones... Just my 2cents

Reactions: 2 people
He was all hair and no substance. But I don't think any of us were fooled by him very far into his tenure.

Oh, they were. Not remember the relentless bashing and labeling going on here during last season for being a realist?

Lineman.. Said Dools would walk into a meeting, listen in to what Chaney (or any coach) and give a good "yeah! That sounds good! Lets do that!" The other coach would just keep talking. Someone mentioned it was probably more teaching ability than knowledge and I'd agree.
Fulmer was a great VOL but he was cut a lot of slack by everyone b/c of what he accomplished. (According to the former player) Wasnt ever questioned in his latter years.
I honestly liked the Kiffin hire, loved the energy he brought, hated his PR skills and ultimately DESPISED how he left us to the point of hate. After a few years I don't hate him but believe his leaving was a blessing in disguise. The player even said he had horrible people skills but knew football better than anyone he'd ever been around.
I'm 50% sold on CBJ (will remember to add the C) and just need to see field results.

Reactions: 2 people
Like you, I wonder how he could grow up with a father who is a well respected coach, play the game through college at a major school, coach under Nick Saban for several years in college and the pros, be a head coach at 2 universities, and have zero football knowledge.

Spent most of his time with Barbara... Momma's Boy IMO!

Reactions: 1 person
The way half this fan base was already gunning for blood there's no way Phil feel asleep and it stayed quiet. No effing way. Not when Phil vs Johnny fans had been at it since Phil replaced him.

Reactions: 3 people
For instance, had it been any other school other than USC, Kiffin would still be here. He said he was a brilliant offensive mind and had the respect of the entire team. Even when he would be in meetings with the offense, he would never try to coach a position of which he knew nothing about. (Unlike Dooley who always tried to throw his 2 cents in. Even to the point that his staff would tell the players to disregard everything he just said.) He believed Kiffin would've had us competing for championships already.

If Kiffin would have stayed we might be competing for championships already or we might be stuck in ncaa hell on probation.

Reactions: 6 people
The post doesn't say anything that hasn't been said here already. Indeed parts of it reads as if being copied from previous posts including the part about Kiffin would have had us competing for championships. Dooley having not football knowledge is an exaggeration. His fault was being lousy at personnel management and as a motivator.

VN Store

Back