Mike Keith=voice of the Vols [on TV tomorrow]

I am a Vols and St. Louis Cardinals fan. My mom and dad were from St. Louis and I grew up in Bristol. I was spoiled with John Ward and Jack Buck on a KMOX affiliate out of Erwin, TN (Johnson City Cardinals still). I don't see either being replaced ever in my world. Can still hear John saying "He's to the 5, the 4, the 3, the 2, the 1, give him six (lower and lower voice). TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!" and Buck calling Ozzie Smith's homerun against the Dodgers to win a divisional game saying "Go crazy folks! Go crazy...." when Oz hit the game winning homerun in the bottom of the ninth. Some things can never be replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I have known Mike and his family most of my life. I can assure you he is southern and he loves the Big Orange as passionately as anyone. No one could ever replace John Ward, but Mike would come as close as anyone. He is all VOL!

Reactions: 5 people
When Ward announced his retirement, me and several drinking buddies were contemplating who among local and national sportscasters should be considered. Mike Keith and Mickey Dearstone was at the top of the local list. The main one that was known nationally was Ron Franklin.

Glad to know there are others who are Anti-Kesling fans. For awhile, I thought I was alone in that. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Bob as a person. However, when you compare him to Lindsey Nelson and John Ward? That is a huge step downward.

Reactions: 2 people
When Ward announced his retirement, me and several drinking buddies were contemplating who among local and national sportscasters should be considered. Mike Keith and Mickey Dearstone was at the top of the local list. The main one that was known nationally was Ron Franklin.

Glad to know there are others who are Anti-Kesling fans. For awhile, I thought I was alone in that. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Bob as a person. However, when you compare him to Lindsey Nelson and John Ward? That is a huge step downward.

When you compare Kesling with Helen Keller, its a huge step downward.

Anybody know if the game will be in HD? Seems like GA St game last year was a terrible picture and not worth the 40$. Keith or Kesling I don't care but I would like to be able to see the players #.....Maybe that's why Kesling always screws it up because he can't see their numbers either....."Taylor McBray back, complete to Jason Hunter and down at the 3 yard line.....wait, down at the 12 yard line"

Anybody know if the game will be in HD? Seems like GA St game last year was a terrible picture and not worth the 40$. Keith or Kesling I don't care but I would like to be able to see the players #.....Maybe that's why Kesling always screws it up because he can't see their numbers either....."Taylor McBray back, complete to Jason Hunter and down at the 3 yard line.....wait, down at the 12 yard line"

"Tennessee has the ball. 1st and 10 from the 51."

Reactions: 2 people
If Mike Keith had gotten the job after John Ward left, all the hate would be directed towards him instead of Bob Kesling.

Reactions: 1 person
Mike Keith always knows who the opponent is. Kesling often is confused by who the Vols are playing. He chews his words a lot. "cheggerboards" is awful and so is "Tinelsee". That's how he says Tennessee.

BTW it is "checkerboard". Each end zone is one large checkerboard. It is humanly impossible for someone to score a TD in the checkerboards (both end zones) at the same time. It is even more humanly impossible for this to happen in the "cheggerboards"

BTW it is "checkerboard". Each end zone is one large checkerboard. It is humanly impossible for someone to score a TD in the checkerboards (both end zones) at the same time. It is even more humanly impossible for this to happen in the "cheggerboards"

He is truly awful. I mean downright terrible. Can't tell you the times I've tuned in to a basketball in progress and had to wait 5 minutes just to hear the score or some other vital piece of info.

If Mike Keith had gotten the job after John Ward left, all the hate would be directed towards him instead of Bob Kesling.

No way. Keith does a great job. Very informative and precise. Does his homework and takes his job seriously. He is a John Ward disciple by the way........

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back