Milton shines against a high school team (Vandy)....can't compete with the better teams in the SEC. Why?

Helps when Keyton catches balls thrown. Not sure if that’s coaching, head space or just catching the the ball.
Keyton is 2nd on the team in targets and catches, but he leads in the number of touchdowns (6) and yards per catch (18.43). Squirrel leads in drops with 7, Keyton has 3, all according to Pro Football Focus. Nice try.

Speed of the Game.

Nico will be in reality CJH's first QB recruit. Milton was here to fill an anticipated Gap.
Milton was too slow and the offense was as a result. Nico is faster and as we will continue to see this Offense will get faster reads and processing from NICO

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Keyton is 2nd on the team in targets and catches, but he leads in the number of touchdowns (6) and yards per catch (18.43). Squirrel leads in drops with 7, Keyton has 3, all according to Pro Football Focus. Nice try.
Yeah Squirrel has had drops at critical times in the games as well. I think he has to improve in that category in the off season or he may get passed by one of the younger guys.

Speed of the Game.

Nico will be in reality CJH's first QB recruit. Milton was here to fill an anticipated Gap.
Milton was too slow and the offense was as a result. Nico is faster and as we will continue to see this Offense will get faster reads and processing from NICO
This was my point last week, when I posted JH support. Even though he’s completing year 3, he has 2QB recruits and really 1. 1 is at Indiana starting now and Nico will start in next year. Negavols act like JH has been here for 10 years. VN he took over an absolute dumpster fire and has done a miraculous job to restore it this quick. Given the new landscape of college football (JH took over in the middle of this crap also) he lost 34 scholarship players when he was hired. You only get 85. 41% of the scholarship team left!

He brought in 3 QB transfer’s because we had no QB!

You have to be ignorant not to understand the challenges JH has overcome in less than 3 yrs!

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
You really got to ask?

Congrats to Joe for finally topping 300 yards in a game for the first time since 2020 and only the 3rd time in his career.

Well Joe has one more game for you bashers to take your frustrations out on him and Nico will be in the barrel next season when he doesn't complete every pass thrown and did not see an open receiver when every couch QB saw it.

No, Joe was not close to Hooker as a QB nor were the receivers and Oline that Hooker had. He gave his best efforts with what skills he had and players to work with and he should be appreciated for it.

1. He was over hyped by others.
2. WR don't get open
3. OL doesn't block
4. OL likely leads sec in Holding penalties
5. WR drops and Routes
6. Mis reads defenses
7. Slow to see separation or late separation = late throws
8. I think he was more hurt than they let on early on
9. OL / WR injuries

It's just just a Milton thing. A team effort lead to this so-so hot/cold year.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Be glad when the man crush between Heup and Milton is over and Milton is out of eligibility. That ia the only way bobby hill won't play Milton's sorry ass. He limits our offense cause nobody trusts him to :
Read a defense
Make a tough throw
Look off a safety
Audible
Etc.

God I wish we could downvote posts….

1. He was over hyped by others.
2. WR don't get open
3. OL doesn't block
4. OL likely leads sec in Holding penalties
5. WR drops and Routes
6. Mis reads defenses
7. Slow to see separation or late separation = late throws
8. I think he was more hurt than they let on early on
9. OL / WR injuries

It's just just a Milton thing. A team effort lead to this so-so hot/cold year.

Let’s start by saying Joe is a great person and teammate who gave his all for Tennessee.

Now with any discussion, let’s begin with the facts/final stats for Milton in 2023:
2,813 yards (31st nationally, 7th in SEC)
64.7% completions (37th nationally, 8th in SEC)
20 TDs (tie 41 nationally, tie 5th in SEC)
5 INTs
70.1 QBR (34th nationally)

Rushing: 299 yards, 7 TDs

A stat I do not have readily available is medium and deep ball accuracy. But I have no doubt that they are bad, that that is where Joe struggles and really the biggest reason why the Vols haven’t been as successful in 2023.

These numbers back up my overall opinion on Joe that I have communicated to other Vol fans I talk to. Joe Milton is an average quarterback. A game manager. He will not turn the ball over often. He will not lose you a winnable game in the end on his own (even though he tried his best vs A&M lol), but he will not win a game on his own against top competition or in hostile road environments like Hendo Cinco did against Pitt, Alabama, LSU and Florida. And that’s pretty much how I interpret those stats. Unfortunately, we do not have the roster relative to other teams in the SEC where those stats result in an exceptional season. Average stats at the quarterback season = average season win total. Tennessee clearly needs a dynamic QB to excel in the modern SEC.

Now, there are things outside of his control that helped lead to those results. The biggest: I think it’s safe to say WR was a sizeable downgrade from last year and the year prior due to a combination of attrition, injuries and missing in the portal. I also believe running back was a huge upgrade, so we tended to lean on them a lot more. I also have to question the play calling. Really seemed to lack creativity this year. Hiring another more experienced offensive coordinator for next year might not be a bad option to consider…but I recognize Heupel’s scheme is very niche and that may be impossible.

Bottom line: Joe is a decent quarterback, but not dynamic. I wish him well, but am not distraught by the thought of him not starting at Tennessee. But he’s also a great person who everyone should root for in the NFL. And I have no doubt he will be drafted (probably rounds 4-6, maybe even 3 if he wows in the combine) because he is such an incredible talent and again, his stats were not bad.

Last edited:
Be glad when the man crush between Heup and Milton is over and Milton is out of eligibility. That ia the only way bobby hill won't play Milton's sorry ass. He limits our offense cause nobody trusts him to :
Read a defense
Make a tough throw
Look off a safety
Audible
Etc.

You suck and are a pathetic human being.

I swear some of you need to be gifted with a team that loses EVERY game in a season. Unfortunately, you "supposedly" support the same team I do, so I don't want that to happen. But I swear that is what some of you deserve.

Short term memories on this board. How soon we forget that not too long ago Dave Doeren and Jeff Brohm turned us down for the HC job, IF anyone needs to be reminded of how far up sh*ts creek we were at one time

Since when is football a one man team?
You must not know how it works around here. You see around here the starting record of a QB is actually something. It’s beyond ridiculous but some around here actually believe that the QB can physically wins games by himself.

It’s the height of ignorance to think that way but that’s how it is on here.

Short term memories on this board. How soon we forget that not too long ago Dave Doeren and Jeff Brohm turned us down for the HC job, IF anyone needs to be reminded of how far up sh*ts creek we were at one time
100% agreed. Also many need to really look back on our records since Fulmer. It’s funny because right now you have fans that think winning 8 or 9 games is somehow a disappointment. Oh how quickly we forget.

Reactions: rocketskates
Coaching or head space?
Why don’t you go back to your dorm room your daddy payed for and tell your other pimple popping buddies that High School team only got beat by 17 by the number 1 team in the country

VN Store

Back