Most over and under rated college football teams of last 10 years.

McDad

I can't brain today; I has the dumb.
We frequently complain about all those teams which are always pumped in the preseason only to flunk out in the final rankings. Let's test your acumen.
Each list has 24 spots:
1. Over the last 10 years which teams have consistently been ranked higher in the pre compared to their final ranking?

2. Same question on the reverse, which are consistently ranked lower in the pre compared to final?

Source (DON"T CHEAT): https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf...ted-college-football-teams-preseason-rankings

Notre Dame absolutely has to be in the top 10 most overrated. I'd say Texas is there too, as is probably USC.

Underrated is harder. Wisconsin comes to mind.

Edit - I clicked the source. To not spoil it for everyone else, the position of one of the teams I mentioned is very surprising.

Reactions: McDad
I’d put LSU & Texas A&M on the over in addition to ND and Texas. Ole Miss on the under.

Shot in the dark, Iowa on the under.

Notre Dame absolutely has to be in the top 10 most overrated. I'd say Texas is there too, as is probably USC.

Underrated is harder. Wisconsin comes to mind.

Edit - I clicked the source. To not spoil it for everyone else, the position of one of the teams I mentioned is very surprising.
Good instincts. I was surprised by both lists but more surprised by the under rated list.

Maybe we can keep a running tally once correct guesses are made
Over:
1. Auburn
2. USC
3. Wisconsin
4. TAMU
5. LSU
6. Texas
7. Oregon
8. Oklahoma
9. Miami
10. FSU
11. Clemson
12. Stanford
13. Michigan State
14. Georgia
15. UCLA
16. South Carolina
17. ND
17. Alabama
18. Ohio State
19. North Carolina
22. Iowa State
23. Arkansas
24. Nebraska
24. Michigan

Under:
1. Northwestern
2. Cincinnati
3. TCU
4. Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. UCF
7. Houston
7. Ok State
7. Arizona
7. Louisiana
11. Tulane
12. Navy
13. West Virginia
14. Miss state
15. Kansas state
16. Coastal Carolina
17. Western Michigan
17. Minnesota
17. Syracuse
17. Wake Forest
21. Iowa
21. Fresno State
21. Liberty
24. Colorado
24. Georgia Tech
24. Indiana
24. Washington

Last edited:
Florida on the over

*I had USC but saw it was already on there lol

Last edited:
Thinking of coaches who can make something out of nothing, I'd say OK St. and Miss St. (RIP Coach Leach) probably were on the underrated list. Though it would be hard to argue with where they were rated preseason based on talent levels. Maybe TCU fits that category too during this window, but I really can't remember if they were ranked up high early or not generally. It seems natural to see them at the top by this point, so probably not.

I'm thinking may Clemson is kind on the overrated side of this since their great QBs left for the NFL. Lots of talent for underwhelming results.

Thinking of coaches who can make something out of nothing, I'd say OK St. and Miss St. (RIP Coach Leach) probably were on the underrated list. Though it would be hard to argue with where they were rated preseason based on talent levels. Maybe TCU fits that category too during this window, but I really can't remember if they were ranked up high early or not generally. It seems natural to see them at the top by this point, so probably not.

I'm thinking may Clemson is kind on the overrated side of this since their great QBs left for the NFL. Lots of talent for underwhelming results.
7 and 14 and 3

Reactions: Rifleman
Not listing ones already mentioned.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd say Missouri on the under. Washington on the under.

Oklahoma the last few years on the over. Miami on the over. This is a stab, because I can't remember how they rank preseason, but Kentucky on the over.

I don't think I got a single under rated lol. Lot's of surprises there.

I'm only surprised be like 2-3 of the overs.

Not listing ones already mentioned.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd say Missouri on the under. Washington on the under.

Oklahoma the last few years on the over. Miami on the over. This is a stab, because I can't remember how they rank preseason, but Kentucky on the over.
4 and 24

ok at 8

Reactions: Godfatha
Also its the past 10 years, so there's a lot of recency bias for me(I can only really remember the last 3-4 at best).

Reactions: Rifleman

VN Store

Back