Movies you've seen recently II

Sweetheart 8/10 fun little monster movie about a girl who is stranded on an island. It was lean and the girl didn't make a slew of stupid decisions.

Took my teenager to see Call of the Wild. Could not get into it due to the CGI on all animals in the movie. Would have been more effective as a totally animated movie. Took aware from he perils since they seemed so fake and this screen play removed all of the really bad parts of the book anyway, like the dog fighting. The story was pretty pretty solid until the end, then it just ended. Strictly a young children's movie which is probably how it is billed. I should read reviews before jumping.

Once Upon a Time in America

My advice is don't watch it. 3 hours and 50 minutes (wtf) and it's not like Godfather where it's lengthy because of these amazing big-budget scenes like the wedding, it's long because they didn't know how to edit properly. I can appreciate the ambitious storytelling and I probably would have loved it if I were watching it in 1984 but it just doesn't hold up over time.

Also, there are like 3 rape scenes where the consequences of two of them don't make any sense:

1st rape scene = statutory by a cop who they blackmail...fair enough.

2nd rape scene = victim becomes the rapist's girlfriend

3rd rape scene = victim names her child after rapist

Leone said that the whole thing being an opium-induced dream of Noodles is a fair interpretation, which is so unnecessary.

Just watched Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West and I enjoyed it a lot more than "...America". The epic style was a better fit for a western and the writing was tighter.

Reactions: bigdaddy
Me too, in fact I agree pretty much with the top 10, there a few throughout I feel were rated too high/too low(like Cabin In The Woods) but overall a pretty impressive list.

I've watched Fury Road 3x more than any other movie that decade. Not only is it an achievement in filmmaking, but it's so rewatchable.

I like what Bill Simmons does with the Oscars. He says we get more clarity with time, so he waits 5 years and then uses hindsight to hand out fake awards. There is no chance King's Speech beats Social Network for best picture under this model. I don't believe that King's Speech even made this top 100 list.

Reactions: bignewt
I'm not sure about Paddington 2 at 16.
Wow, I have a problem with a good number of those. That one being way to high or included at all.

88. The Grand Budapest Hotel
83. Interstellar
81. John Wick
76. Gravity

should all be higher. IMO

Also no Dunkirk, Hacksaw Ridge or 1917. I'm sure there were a lot more that should be ahead of some of these. I mean it has Magic Mike & the as mentioned Paddington but not The Shape of Water or Frozen.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Wow, I have a problem with a good number of those. That one being way to high or included at all.

88. The Grand Budapest Hotel
83. Interstellar
81. John Wick
76. Gravity

should all be higher. IMO

Also no Dunkirk, Hacksaw Ridge or 1917. I'm sure there were a lot more that should be ahead of some of these. I mean it has Magic Mike & the as mentioned Paddington but not The Shape of Water or Frozen.

I thought the same thing. I felt like I must have not watched any movies last decade after reading that list as I only saw a minority of them.

And then The Last Jedi was on there! Lulz

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Finally re-watched Hateful 8. I liked it better the second time, but I figured out why I am not all in on it. Too many characters are over the top and it takes me out of it. The Mexican might as well be a cartoon character. I think QT was going for that. The lighting in that cabin is unnaturally bright and everything is so colorful, and it doesn't really work for me for some reason. I usually like stylistic movies, too.

Finally re-watched Hateful 8. I liked it better the second time, but I figured out why I am not all in on it. Too many characters are over the top and it takes me out of it. The Mexican might as well be a cartoon character. I think QT was going for that. The lighting in that cabin is unnaturally bright and everything is so colorful, and it doesn't really work for me for some reason. I usually like stylistic movies, too.

that shot of the church outside tho...

RyGEHK3ooujkBQijkGaJ-60PGmsKMi1HALTL1mFWT1yUQzBD8VbOC00YYUyJsuJycbiH28XX_YMXOnb_UADulPjgigIE--HEDDF2HqwULxUjqC9tEEnHCRnCWViJ2zYZsBVI-0kw3x93zKg

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back