Movies you've seen recently II

Good lord. Your world view has been warped. You see a minority at the top of their profession and automatically assume they shouldn't be there. I hate what this country has become. So much hate. I know this will probably get deleted but I hope you see it.
Well I see Freak understandably removed my response to this trash.

Good lord. Your world view has been warped. You see a minority at the top of their profession and automatically assume they shouldn't be there. I hate what this country has become. So much hate. I know this will probably get deleted but I hope you see it.
There was nothing hateful about his review.

The Fall Guy 8/10 I was reticent since it's a reimagining of a show I loved as a kid but it was very well done and entertaining. A great homage to stunt performers. Gosling was awesome as always. He played it light which was in the spirit of the show.

It is literally my favorite comedy. A laugh-a-minute.

It sucks to find out it caused a rift between Myers and Carvey. Myers is an absolute prick and it's actually a miracle the movie ended up being good. Carvey had to improv all his lines because Myers was jealous of Garth being funnier, so he effectively tried to write him out of the movie by giving him no funny material. The director colluded with Carvey to do extra takes where he added improvised lines, and basically every Garth laugh was written on the spot by Carvey.

And later, Myers steals the Dr. Evil character from Carvey.

I hate him now, but somehow still enjoy his work.

I never understood the love for this movie. I think I laughed one time. The Alice Cooper scene was funny .
Probably just me though. I never thought the skit was that funny on SNL
Boo this man!

It's like any "stupid" comedy. You can't take it serious. I bet you don't like Will Ferrel either, correct?

It sucks to find out it caused a rift between Myers and Carvey. Myers is an absolute prick and it's actually a miracle the movie ended up being good. Carvey had to improv all his lines because Myers was jealous of Garth being funnier, so he effectively tried to write him out of the movie by giving him no funny material. The director colluded with Carvey to do extra takes where he added improvised lines, and basically every Garth laugh was written on the spot by Carvey.

And later, Myers steals the Dr. Evil character from Carvey.

I hate him now, but somehow still enjoy his work.
From Carvey?? Dr Evil is a Lorne Michaels impression.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F
5/10

Worth a one time watch for nostalgia, but doesn't really get you back there even though Murphy seemingly never broke stride. The chick that played Foley's daughter really set the movie back. She was terrible, really forced acting. Almost unwatchable performance. Great cast aside from her performance. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Kevin Bacon were welcome additions along with the original characters including Serg (Bronson Pinchot).

Last edited:
We also saw "Horizon" over the weekend. Wife liked it better than I did, but it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews.

The one thing that was a bit annoying was the jumping around between vignettes. It was a tad difficult to keep track of what was going on.

Reactions: firestorm
Inside Out 2

8/10

A good direct sequel that avoids the terrible movie sequel flaws that is mostly the same plot as the first movie which has been done with Die Hard 2, Home Alone 2, Another 48 Hours, Escape From LA, etc.
Also, it doesn’t have continuity aspects undone or retconned because of terrible writing.

It’s a good direct sequel that stands on its while still being a similar-toned movie as the first movie.

Riley has challenges after she becomes a teenager including the frustration of being able to smell her body odor, and she has to deal with new emotions including anxiety.

The movie gives strong evidence with show don’t tell that from 1 scene that Riley essentially is a realistic flawed likable character who has a good heart.

That scene does happen in the climax, however, because this movie respects the audience it doesn’t outright state Riley is a realistic flawed character that has a good heart since it’s unmistakable with it being very visible.

The emotion of anxiety succeeds at showing an extremely tunnel negative view of these are all the things that could go wrong.
So the movie succeeds at showing anxiety is valuable, however, it’s not rose colored glasses view with having a realistic optimistic view of things that can go right.

This movie is using a very cliche formula of Riley wants to get in with the cool teenagers of a successful High School Hockey team which creates tension with her current 2 friends.
However, since this conflict is happening in Riley’s head with 2 groups of emotions it stands out as fresh territory for a common formula instead of just being mostly the same as other movies.

The movie with flashback scenes shows us how 3 protagonists became friends.
It’s a movie that succeeds at being diverse since has characters that are of different races.
The cool group of teenagers have red streaks for a portion of their hair which was either inspired by (X-Men) Rogue even though she has white streaks, or the badass character Warren Peace who has red streaks from the Disney Superhero movie Sky High.

Riley is a well-written realistic protagonist since she has weaknesses and strengths so she is a shade of gray character that is relatable.
Because of good writing, the movie succeeds at still keeping Riley a likable protagonist that we can sympathize with even with her consistently making bad decisions.

Similar to the first movie the animation style is magnificent, and this animated movie has human characters with realistic bodies, also the environments including the ice skating rink look realistic so it succeeds at being set in a realistic world.

The climax has high stakes, a satisfying resolution, and its style ending is earned.

The movie does succeed at comedy including a not badass video game character that has an ability that is intentionally lame except it does prove useful in a scene that isn’t just plot convenience.

The movie got me to cry tears of joy for a joyful scene.

The movie has great messages including stay connected with friends who are going to a different High School than you.

Anxiety succeeds at being an antagonist that is the opposite of Joy.

Last edited:
Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley 6/10. It took 30 years to redeem the franchise after the horrible BC3, but Judge Reinhold has to be one of the worst actors in Hollywood. Lots of Easter eggs and throwbacks to the first 3 movies. The most annoying part was the soundtrack where Faltermeyer’s original tune was reimagined into nearly every bar of incidental music.

Plus, no outtakes during the closing credits is an almost unforgivable sin.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back