Movies you've seen recently II

Okay, guys. Bit of Trivia here:

On AFI's 50 Heroes, who was the first female character and the first actress on the list by the year?

This was an interesting question:

According to AFI's 50 Heroes List:

First Female character was 1943's Lassie in Lassie Come Home.
First Female actress was Sally Fields as Norma Rae in 1979's Norma Rae.

Lassie was played by a male collie named Pal which should make some of the folks on the board happy.

Most recent heroes were both from 2000. Female villains start showing up far earler, 1937.

This was an interesting question:

According to AFI's 50 Heroes List:

First Female character was 1943's Lassie in Lassie Come Home.
First Female actress was Sally Fields as Norma Rae in 1979's Norma Rae.

Lassie was played by a male collie named Pal which should make some of the folks on the board happy.

Most recent heroes were both from 2000. Female villains start showing up far earler, 1937.
I'm not sure of the criteria for "hero" but I would have thought Dorothy Gale (WoO) would have made the cut well before Norma Rae.

Went to see The Fall Guy on a rainy Tuesday. Still trying to decide how to rate it. It has a bit of the Tropic Thunder theme as the plot surrounds the making of a movie, specifically from the stuntman perspective. Loaded with action throughout and kept our attention. An overall fun movie.
Would you recommend going to the theater to watch?

My wife and I saw the new Bad Boys movie two weeks ago- definitely recommend.

The Waterboy. I never get tired of this movie as time goes on and I get older. All the great one liners. Maybe it's nostalgia,but I never get tired of the earlier Adam Sandler movies.

Reactions: joevol33
The Ministry of Ungentlemenly Warfare. I liked it,and it was a good way to spend two hours with nothing else to do. A lot of action with comedy mixed in. Since it was based on a true story, I didn't realize the main character was the inspiration for James Bond since Ian Fleming was a part of this special ops type group. The more ya know!

Last edited:
SORCERER

Always wanted to see it but never had for some reason. Boy did it not disappoint. What a movie. I don't know how they shot a lot of it.

Reactions: firestorm
Would you recommend going to the theater to watch?

My wife and I saw the new Bad Boys movie two weeks ago- definitely recommend.

I heard Christopher Nolan was seen at the theater attending Bad Boys 4. Didn't he recently say Step Brothers, or some dumb comedy like that, was one of his favorite movies? I love this guy.

I heard Christopher Nolan was seen at the theater attending Bad Boys 4. Didn't he recently say Step Brothers, or some dumb comedy like that, was one of his favorite movies? I love this guy.
Step Brothers is the one of those stupid movies that I watch over and over if it’s on TV. The same with Anchorman & Talladega Nights.

I got 3 reviews of movies I’ll be writing after my cellphone charges.

Also, I see I’ll have to buy (2011) Green Lantern to review that awful movie because I don’t see it available for free on YouTube, HBO, Netflix, Xumo, etc.
It’s a very disappointing terrible movie that I was expecting to cool, badass, and epic.

A Few Good Men
10/10

A great drama movie focused on 2 Marines on trial for murder with the Navy defense lawyer Daniel Kaffe (Tom Cruise) having to prove a code red was ordered by Colonel Jessup (Jack Nicholson) because that’s the only realistic chance for him to prove the 2 Marines aren’t guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, and murder.

A main message stated by Lance Corporal Harold Dawson about what he and Private First Class Louden Downey failed to do isn’t shoehorned in.
While it’s undeniable Lance Corporal Harold Dawson is in the wrong along with Private First Class Louden Downey for what they did to Willie Santiago , the movie still gives important information that Lance Corporal Harold Dawson is a man with honor that the audience can like which the movie never directly stated because respects the audience enough to understand that without saying it directly.

The movie earns the change with Daniel Kaffe and Lance Corporal Harold Dawson’s relationship.

It’s a well written drama movie focused on the US Marines that has shades of gray morality, and also black and white morality.

It’s the iconic courtroom drama movie that has that iconic line “You can’t handle the truth.” said by the Marines Colonel Jessup.

It’s understandable why Daniel is a Red Sox fan because the movie gives information Danny was born in Boston which isn’t shoehorned in the movie.

It’s a Courtroom drama movie with high stakes including a main conflict that can’t be easily resolved, fleshed out antagonists and protagonists, variety of real world locations including Washington D.C. and Cuba, impressive costumes including the Marines suits and Marines Soldiers suits matching what we’ve seen in US Marines commercials, a memorable original soundtrack that fits the scenes, good dialogue, memorable lines, unforgettable thrilling climax, smooth pacing, great messages including about doing the right thing even when a high drawback can be the result, and a satisfying open ending.

Minor nitpicks are it’s a very visible continuity error when Colonel Jessup picks up his Colonel Hat because his tie is missing while in the climax before that his tie was visible.
It’s unbelievable that Lance Corporal Harold Dawson and Private First Class Louden Downey don’t ask for water, subway sandwiches, other healthy drinks or food before Danny and Sam leave since they’ve been in the same detained location for likely over 3 hours.
Also, the detail about Daniel being late for a meeting for being assigned cases looks nonsensical because the meeting wasn’t in progress before Daniel entered the meeting room.

Anything in the movie that should get explained does get explained including
why didn’t Private Willie Santiago get a code red since he was a burden to his unit,
Why Lance Corporal Harold Dawson had a promotion held up with a stated reason which gets talked about when Lieutenant Kendrick is on the witness stand.
Also the understandable reason why Lance CorporeaL Harold Dawson got a below average rating on the most recent report by Lieutenant Kendrick.
Also, why exactly Lieutenant Kendrick wanted Curtis Bell dealt with in the unit after discovering he stole alcohol instead of reporting him to Kendrick’s Superiors.

I noticed during 1 scene of all the visible Magazines while Daniel is in that area that a Sports Magazine has the great Tennis player Andre Agassi during the era when Agassi wore a high quality wig before his bald head style playing days.

Colonel Jessup has a long entertaining monologue for why he believes he’s in the right when on the witness stand.
While it’s a very common cliche for movie antagonists to justify why they believe they are in the right, Colonel Jessup played by the charismatic great Jack Nicholson succeeded making this monologue very unique.

Also, this movie has an amazing scene of Marines shown in impressive unity moving their rifles in multiple ways during the opening scene which most likely took hours of practice.

Last edited:
Saw "A Quiet Place: The First Day."

Saw it had a black woman playing lead before going and, to be fair, wondered if it was going to be a woke/DEI piece of crap like a lot of the junk Hollywood is turning out.

Nope. Good story. Well done. The main character in a good story just happened to be a black lady. Could have been anyone and she was very good. I enjoyed it.

Saw "A Quiet Place: The First Day."

Saw it had a black woman playing lead before going and, to be fair, wondered if it was going to be a woke/DEI piece of crap like a lot of the junk Hollywood is turning out.
Good lord. Your world view has been warped. You see a minority at the top of their profession and automatically assume they shouldn't be there. I hate what this country has become. So much hate. I know this will probably get deleted but I hope you see it.

Reactions: luthervol

VN Store

Back