MTSU beat Walz/Louisville by 18 points last December...

It's nobody's business and why let future opponents know that they don't have to game plan for Rickea?
Right I get that, but I still don't like the fibbing to fans. Just say we can't/won't share. That still keeps opposing coaches guessing.

Not to beat a dead cardinal, but Louisville had a bad early season record last season as well. Having Rickea and TK back to full strength should have us set for a tournament run.

Because of bad early losses. Exactly why I'm despairing this year.

Realistically, we're already in a position where we have to beat LSU and/or SC and make another SEC tourney run. And not slip up in other SEC play. It just sucks that we're already in that position.

To the point of the original post, Jeff Walz is not coaching at the University of Tennessee.

Not to beat a dead cardinal, but Louisville had a bad early season record last season as well. Having Rickea and TK back to full strength should have us set for a tournament run.
Better be. What's happened leaves us zero margin for error. That's what's worrying.

It is true that MTSU was tough last year. 28-5 record and conference champions.

And I was wrong about Louisville losing at home. The game was played in Murfreesboro.

While MTSU was good last year, they did have losses to Mercer, UTEP, & UTSA. And got trounced by 18 to #21 Colorado in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
They are not the best team in the state of Tennessee this season. Bethel beat them by 14 points.

My point was it's early, way too early, to be opining about coaching changes when both Tennessee and Louisville started the same way last year and both made the Sweet 16.
Take away the gift from LSU last season and when is the last time she beat a good or average team , waiting is what got us in to this mess

The Lady Vols met the #1 seed in their bracket in the Sweet 16, Louisville didn't until the Elite 8, both losing...tournament play is all about seeding and matchups...

Try again...

INCORRECT! Louisville met IOWA in the E8 who was the TWO seed in that region. Stanford was the ONE but got bounced in the 2nd round.

I could also argue that Louisville had a tougher path. They had to get by Drake, Texas and Ole Miss. They beat Texas on their home floor and a cinderella team in Ole Miss.

The LVs beat two midmajor teams in St. Louis and Toledo AT HOME. Once again, FALSE EQUIVALENCE. Make sure your argument is rooted in facts.

I totally get it. But the last couple of weeks have put us in a deep, deep hole already as far as the tourney. We have almost zero margin for error in SEC play. Hurts that the SEC appears to be down this year outside of LSU and SC and those wins won't help all that much.

I think the SEC is looking pretty comparable to last year, for better or worse.

End-of-year 2023 NET ratings for SEC teams:
1. South Carolina
3. LSU
15. Tennessee
25. Ole Miss
29. Alabama
33. Georgia
39. Mississippi State
48. Arkansas
56. Missouri
80. Kentucky
83. Florida
85. Auburn
100. Vanderbilt
111. Texas A&M

So far this year:
1. South Carolina
19. LSU
20. Alabama
23. Texas A&M
34. Mississippi State
55. Vanderbilt
58. Arkansas
64. Ole Miss
74. Georgia
75. Auburn
81. Florida
96. Tennessee
97. Missouri
224. Kentucky

It's still early, but last year 4 SEC teams finished in the NET top 25, and it's the same right now. Last year 8 teams finished in the top 50, and right now there are only 5, though last year 9 finished in the top 75 and this year so far there are 10.

That's 11 quadrant 1 games remaining. So many opportunities left to build a strong resume, especially if we can show we're basically a different team with a healthy Rickea.

Currently, we're 0-4 in Q1 and 1-1 in Q2, but hopefully #52 Oklahoma will finish top 50. Not sure if #65 MTSU will get into the top 50, though last year they finished at #28 even with 2 Q3 losses, so it's not impossible.

INCORRECT! Louisville met IOWA in the E8 who was the TWO seed in that region. Stanford was the ONE but got bounced in the 2nd round.

I could also argue that Louisville had a tougher path. They had to get by Drake, Texas and Ole Miss. They beat Texas on their home floor and a cinderella team in Ole Miss.

The LVs beat two midmajor teams in St. Louis and Toledo AT HOME. Once again, FALSE EQUIVALENCE. Make sure your argument is rooted in facts.

Earl's on fire today.

Just glad this game that has no relevance to the Lady Vols finally has its own thread that it deserves.... a year later.

Earl's on fire today.

Just glad this game that has no relevance to the Lady Vols finally has its own thread that it deserves.... a year later.

Lol. It’s so unserious.

Also important to note that Kellie hasn’t beaten a single P5 team in the NCAA tournament since she’s been at UT.

I am a "wait and see" an on this one. With Jackson, Hollingshead and Stricklin out we did not have our best players. SEC play with those players will determine Kelly's fate.
Her fate is in her hands and it is not now. I almost feel certain she is gone if she fails to make the NCAA. She might be gone if she makes the NCAA and fails to make the sweet sixteen. If she makes the sweet sixteen she will be back because other than two or three players the entire roster is back and she is adding two really good players. He is not firing her if she makes the sweet sixteen just not going to happen. So she has to get it out of the team to get her there. If she can't and thus far she hasn't then she fired herself.

Her fate is in her hands and it is not now. I almost feel certain she is gone if she fails to make the NCAA. She might be gone if she makes the NCAA and fails to make the sweet sixteen. If she makes the sweet sixteen she will be back because other than two or three players the entire roster is back and she is adding two really good players. He is not firing her if she makes the sweet sixteen just not going to happen. So she has to get it out of the team to get her there. If she can't and thus far she hasn't then she fired herself.
Are you assuming she finishes 3rd in the SEC or as an AD do you take it to consideration a potential 4-6th place finish.

A lot of arguments and post over nothing cause were not hiring Jeff Walz so it doesn't matter who did what. Bring up some names we might actually consider.

I’m not lobbying for Walz to be HC. I’m responding to those that like to throw shade at coaches who have a MUCH better resume than Kellie Harper. Those that deserve to get the benefit of the doubt

I’m not lobbying for Walz to be HC. I’m responding to those that like to throw shade at coaches who have a MUCH better resume than Kellie Harper. Those that deserve to get the benefit of the doubt
I know and what you say is certainly true. There are probably 50 coaches or more with a better resume. I hope if she fails this season the next hire is someone that can at least make us an effective program again.

Are you assuming she finishes 3rd in the SEC or as an AD do you take it to consideration a potential 4-6th place finish.
Just assuming that she gets in the tourney and wins two games. Getting into the tourney is a must. Winning two games in that tourney would JMO give her another season. Doing both for sure gets her another season. Doing one might get her another season. The reason being injuries to key players. For her to turn it around this season is going to be close to a miracle and I think he would recognize that as being good enough to bring her back. How many attitudes would change if she wins 12 conference games. I don't think you get in with less than 10 conference wins and that includes winning these last three non conference games. She has to win 13 of 19 and then one in the SEC tourney then two in the NCAA. That is 16 and 7 from this day forward. If she can do that he will being her back.

Just assuming that she gets in the tourney and wins two games. Getting into the tourney is a must. Winning two games in that tourney would JMO give her another season. Doing both for sure gets her another season. Doing one might get her another season. The reason being injuries to key players. For her to turn it around this season is going to be close to a miracle and I think he would recognize that as being good enough to bring her back. How many attitudes would change if she wins 12 conference games. I don't think you get in with less than 10 conference wins and that includes winning these last three non conference games. She has to win 13 of 19 and then one in the SEC tourney then two in the NCAA. That is 16 and 7 from this day forward. If she can do that he will being her back.
If she gets in as a 4th-6th in the SEC it would weigh heavily in year 5 regardless or injuries. Getting into the tourney she would need an E8 or better to savage that. If she gets 3rd and bounced at S16 or earlier it’s still questionable but still might save her. If they don’t get in she’s out.

Reactions: Volfan2012
If she gets in as a 4th-6th in the SEC it would weigh heavily in year 5 regardless or injuries. Getting into the tourney she would need an E8 or better to savage that. If she gets 3rd and bounced at S16 or earlier it’s still questionable but still might save her. If they don’t get in she’s out.
It is all speculative as what he will do. I think what she has to do is such a large task that his job will be easy. She could prove me wrong cause what she has to do going forward is a monumental task. She made a huge hole and the SEC is better this season. The SEC looks like a five team NCAA league this year so yes you would have to finish in the top five or win the SEC tourney. Her chances of going in as a 7 or 8 seed almost guarantee she won't get to the sweet sixteen. It will all play out. I know AD's hate to make changes to sports that aren't making money cause it costs them more money to do so. I Have no doubt he will do it if she doesn't come up with some kind of miracle finish which i consider highly unlikely.

Reactions: Majors
With so many players eligible to come back next season needed to keep some open. Right now we'll have five to give next season. We also were saving for a couple players that decided to go elsewhere before the season started.
Who can come back? I’m not sure about the Covid stuff or if someone was a previous redshirt

Who can come back? I’m not sure about the Covid stuff or if someone was a previous redshirt
Everybody is eligible to come back except Powell and Jackson. We have Cooper and Boyd coming in to take their scholarships. Some of the players eligible to come back may not comeback and if Harper is fired we may see some transfers. Right now we have five scholarships open if everyone eligible to comeback does.

VN Store

Back