Much-needed perspective on the current state of UT's program from an Oregon fan

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
The decidedly sour tone of forum threads this week is entirely understandable in the aftermath of our monumental loss to Oregon. However, there are times when it truly is impossible to see the forest for the trees. The following perspective was offered by Canard, an Oregon fan, in comparing the Dooley-coached team which he witnessed three years ago and the Tennessee team which took the field last week (post 18 of http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/202564-how-long-2.html#post9174901):

"Looking at your Scout current verbal commits, there's a lot to like about the number of HS and JC four stars lined up to help out, though the list lacks O linemen. UT shares something with Oregon, a shallow in state talent pool. This means you need tireless recruiting efforts. If CBJ is that guy, you'll be a force soon.

As a CFB junkie, I watched the cut ups here of your offense and defense these past weeks. They were somewhat funny because you could readily see how Oregon would destroy UT in all three phases. Make Worley beat you and make the D overcommit to the perimeter run.

But something else is on that tape too. CBJ is installing a system this year, results be damned. Rather than play to the strengths of a team he didn't build, he's making them play his chosen systems. That's not about this year or next, it's about re-establishing a culture of winning. It's about getting these players to be the mentors of classes yet to come. It's about playing whistle to whistle even in the face of long odds.

We faced Dooley in his first year. I saw a team that had no identity, one that the week following had LSU on death's door and let them escape via disorganization. Sloppy.

CBJ's squad was powerfully overmatched, but what I saw was organization and discipline remaining solid. The UT team didn't quit. Didn't get chippy, and fought to the end. There's a lot to build on in that."

As you are undoubtedly aware, several of the bolded statements are almost verbatim citations of Butch's oratorical principles as they apply to coaching, all of which can be succinctly tied together by his slogan, "Brick by brick." 'tis nice to see that an Oregon fan can see the physical manifestation of those foundational principles three games into Butch Jones' first season, even if many Tennessee fans focus only on the short-term deficiencies represented on the scoreboard. Herbstreit said much the same on the ESPN GameDay show: "Tennessee's coming. Their great times are ahead of them with Butch Jones."

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 people
Excellent Post! Knee jerk reactions on this board are predictable, nice that someone sees the truth of what is happening! Our current #2 (been 1-2 for several months now) class ranking on Rivals speeks well to the future. :hi:

Reactions: 7 people
Some said that of Dools.

To avoid sounding negative let me say that I DID see a much more disciplined team who didn't give up against Oregon than even with Dools. Its unfortunate that CBJs 1st game against stiff competition was freaking Oregon. UT isn't going to look good against many teams, but they will DANG look better than they did last year (- the passing show).

Reactions: 1 person
I remember my days living in Oregon back when we were pretty good and all of the Oregon fans thought the SEC was overrated due to "East Coast bias"...it's really sad to see us now hanging our hats on what those morons think of us.

Reactions: 3 people
The decidedly sour tone of forum threads this week is entirely understandable in the aftermath of our monumental loss to Oregon. However, there are times when it truly is impossible to see the forest for the trees. The following perspective was offered by Canard, an Oregon fan, in comparing the Dooley-coached team which he witnessed three years ago and the Tennessee team which took the field last week (post 18 of http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/202564-how-long-2.html#post9174901):

"Looking at your Scout current verbal commits, there's a lot to like about the number of HS and JC four stars lined up to help out, though the list lacks O linemen. UT shares something with Oregon, a shallow in state talent pool. This means you need tireless recruiting efforts. If CBJ is that guy, you'll be a force soon.

As a CFB junkie, I watched the cut ups here of your offense and defense these past weeks. They were somewhat funny because you could readily see how Oregon would destroy UT in all three phases. Make Worley beat you and make the D overcommit to the perimeter run.

But something else is on that tape too. CBJ is installing a system this year, results be damned. Rather than play to the strengths of a team he didn't build, he's making them play his chosen systems. That's not about this year or next, it's about re-establishing a culture of winning. It's about getting these players to be the mentors of classes yet to come. It's about playing whistle to whistle even in the face of long odds.

We faced Dooley in his first year. I saw a team that had no identity, one that the week following had LSU on death's door and let them escape via disorganization. Sloppy.

CBJ's squad was powerfully overmatched, but what I saw was organization and discipline remaining solid. The UT team didn't quit. Didn't get chippy, and fought to the end. There's a lot to build on in that."

As you are undoubtedly aware, several of the bolded statements are almost verbatim citations of Butch's oratorical principles as they apply to coaching, all of which can be succinctly tied together by his slogan, "Brick by brick." 'tis nice to see that an Oregon fan can see the physical manifestation of those foundational principles three games into Butch Jones' first season, even if many Tennessee fans focus only on the short-term deficiencies represented on the scoreboard. Herbstreit said much the same on the ESPN GameDay show: "Tennessee's coming. Their great times are ahead of them with Butch Jones."

Pretty much what my opinion has been also. Good post.

Some said that of Dools.

To avoid sounding negative let me say that I DID see a much more disciplined team who didn't give up against Oregon than even with Dools. Its unfortunate that CBJs 1st game against stiff competition was freaking Oregon. UT isn't going to look good against many teams, but they will DANG look better than they did last year (- the passing show).

Bear in mind Dooley and Kiffin had depth issues but they did have players that had been on a 10-win SEC-E champion team.

Jones is inheriting a roster filled with guys who have never seen a winning season. Much less any actual success. This isn't hyperbole: Losing is all they know. 4 total SEC wins in the last 3 years.

Getting down in the dumps will happen during his tenure. It's up to Jones to get this team to improve over time but this is a monumental undertaking regarding getting these guys to believe in themselves and their teammates.

Reactions: 4 people
Some said that of Dools.

This x 10000

And fans want their teams to do well so bad, the week leading up to Oregon game people were picturing that game with their heart and not their head. So of course their were a lot of hurt feelings.

Much-needed perspective

Some sheepy clueless supposed Vol Fanz have waaaaaay too much time on their hands!! :salute:

The UT team didn't quit. Didn't get chippy, and fought to the end. ."
skeptical-dog.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
I remember my days living in Oregon back when we were pretty good and all of the Oregon fans thought the SEC was overrated due to "East Coast bias"...it's really sad to see us now hanging our hats on what those morons think of us.

When you follow the program on a day-to-day basis, it can be difficult to see incremental change, let alone the rather significant changes that this observer noted as preludes to the onfield change of fortune that we all so desperately want to see. Personally, I choose to bombard negativity with positive energy. As Butch has said many times, you "can be a fountain or a drain."

Reactions: 4 people
Bear in mind Dooley and Kiffin had depth issues but they did have players that had been on a 10-win SEC-E champion team.

Jones is inheriting a roster filled with guys who have never seen a winning season. Much less any actual success. This isn't hyperbole: Losing is all they know. 4 total SEC wins in the last 3 years.

Getting down in the dumps will happen during his tenure. It's up to Jones to get this team to improve over time but this is a monumental undertaking regarding getting these guys to believe in themselves and their teammates.

And if there is a better master of motivational strategies than Butch Jones, I would like to see him. I have a feeling that he knew he would need every one of them when he assumed this position.

i have said this as well. i actually said it before the season. the minute the vols tried to go up tempo, you knew this was true. only a fool would try to play oregon's game at oregon with the personnel tennessee had to work with.

a lot of people didn't think the change in systems was all that radical, but it clearly is and what is a team strength, the offensive line, is probably not as strong as it normally would be.

it's the main reason why i have been one of the few voices out there who have said that i really believe tennessee will be better in 2014 than 2013.

Reactions: 5 people

kirk did say that.and i can't wait.

I haven't seen any tangible improvement but I didn't expect to. The coaches know what they have and, if they don't already know, the players will learn what they are by looking at the scoreboard when they take on a good opponent. Why the hell do so many people feel compelled to polish every turd they see? Sucking is just a state of being and hopefully it will soon pass.

I haven't seen any tangible improvement but I didn't expect to. The coaches know what they have and, if they don't already know, the players will learn what they are by looking at the scoreboard when they take on a good opponent. Why the hell do so many people feel compelled to polish every turd they see? Sucking is just a state of being and hopefully it will soon pass.

Very good perspective (not that you need to hear that from me)....it is going to be impossible to see any real improvement until we find a QB. The three and outs from UT's offense are going to make a suspect defense look like swiss cheese.

$%28KGrHqN,!nUFBpyCd4w9BR0v%29sIf7!~~60_35.JPG

:) I get you brotha!......just thought it was funny.

I am working on a vaccine (wink, wink) that will confer immunity to the incessant negativity and sarcasm that I so frequently see on Vol Nation. So far, "clinical trials" have been inconclusive. However, the product occasionally does produce a numbing sensation when exposed to the external stimulus. If perfected, is there a short-term market for this vaccine among Vol Nation members? As we all know, WINNING is the long-term, absolute cure for this chronic condition.

I live in Oregon now, and this post just took the wind outta my sails. So accurate. Sorry, it's been a bad week to be a Vol fan in Portland.

I live in Oregon now, and this post just took the wind outta my sails. So accurate. Sorry, it's been a bad week to be a Vol fan in Portland.

Yeah, Portland is where I used to live too (right near St. John's). Oh well, at least the beautiful coast isn't too far away.

it's the main reason why i have been one of the few voices out there who have said that i really believe tennessee will be better in 2014 than 2013.

Agreed with this statement and the rest of the post.

+1

Butch Jones is bringing Cats and Gators together on a Vols message board.

If this isn't proof of his ability to work miracles, I don't know what is!

I am working on a vaccine (wink, wink) that will confer immunity to the incessant negativity and sarcasm that I so frequently see on Vol Nation. So far, "clinical trials" have been inconclusive. However, the product occasionally does produce a numbing sensation when exposed to the external stimulus.

:rofl:
unicorn-pissing-rainbows.jpg

VN Store

Back