Muffet McGraw stepping down

College basketball is no more interesting. Everyone want to transfer. I can't imagine when new rule allow them to transfer and play immediately, entire team will be transferring.

Reactions: Tnphil
See post #42. I just don’t understand why this year and not last. Seems like last season would have been more natural. I believe Ivey was running the show anyway. She leaves for a year and they had an AWFUL season. She had picked everything up and moved to Memphis only to work there a season. Seems it would have made more sense for McGraw to step down after her seniors graduated last year.

I was also aware she was heir apparent to the ND throne.

Life does not always follow a rationally planned course. Maybe McGraw had intended to coach for another 3-5 years but the stress of this season (and who knows what other mitigating factors) may have led to a change of heart. Maybe she decided in retrospect that indeed she should have retired after her championship (could have been) swan song.

Not the face of a woman enjoying herself...Another bad loss.
960x0.jpg

Great coach. Loss for the sport. If she's ready to cash out and enjoy something other than this madness, then good for her. Now, let's go raid their roster. (I'm joking, but, you know, it's sort of part of the territory now so maybe I'm only 95% joking ... )

Ironically, she was my second choice for this job after Walz. It will be interesting to see how she does compared to Kellie as she is walking into a worse situation. I'll be watching...
Honestly I think she’ll do well she has the fire and tenacity needed too excel with this new generation. She has a swag of the Dawn Staley and Coach Yo that players gravitate towards.

Really hadn’t given much thought to this but:
Pat - gone would be 67
Tara - 66
Geno - 66
Muffet - gone
Hatchel - gone
Warlick - gone (first name is Frances, who knew!)
Blair - 74
Stringer - 72
Schaefer - 59
Mulkey - 58
Lot of coming upheavals at schools that really put women’s basketball on the map and or have been strong recently.

College basketball is no more interesting. Everyone want to transfer. I can't imagine when new rule allow them to transfer and play immediately, entire team will be transferring.
Agree....That's going to be something....10 players on a BB team says we're transferring. 50 on a football team does the same. Coaches will be on Frat and sorority row trying to field a team. I know that's stretching it but if that is allowed going forward it could be a major issue.

Reactions: feathersax
Great coach. Loss for the sport. If she's ready to cash out and enjoy something other than this madness, then good for her. Now, let's go raid their roster. (I'm joking, but, you know, it's sort of part of the territory now so maybe I'm only 95% joking ... )

This virus puts life into perspective. She’s likely been thinking about it for a while. She has nothing left to prove. There are other less-demanding ways to give back to the sport. Kudos to her for leaving on her own terms.

Thanks to Muffet McGraw for a great career and the greatest championship team I’ve ever cheered for

Really hadn’t given much thought to this but:
Pat - gone would be 67
Tara - 66
Geno - 66
Muffet - gone
Hatchel - gone
Warlick - gone (first name is Frances, who knew!)
Blair - 74
Stringer - 72
Schaefer - 59
Mulkey - 58
Lot of coming upheavals at schools that really put women’s basketball on the map and or have been strong recently.

I knew.
Her Mom, "Fran", is a sweet lady who volunteered in a habitat for humanity resale place.

Wow and wow again! Did not see that happening! Niele Ivey was actually the top name on my list for us. Smart of ND to get her wrapped up before announcement.
Geno is next.
I think Mulkey is next, she hasn't looked good in yrs and bells palsy is stress related. I give her and geno 3 yrs tops

Agree....That's going to be something....10 players on a BB team says we're transferring. 50 on a football team does the same. Coaches will be on Frat and sorority row trying to field a team. I know that's stretching it but if that is allowed going forward it could be a major issue.
Transfer rule Pandora's Box that could well destroy it all. We shall see.

yeah like the pope doesnt protect child molesters, notre dame cheats as much as an university, it isn't about God in sports, it is money..

Eh say what you want. Lifelong Catholic school kid and attended a Jesuit university. Never had anything but positivity and great education.

In the United States studies have shown that around 9.6% of students in the public kindergarten and secondary school systems are victims of child sexual abuse at some point. It is actually believed that it occurs at a lower percentage in Catholic schools. Sadly it does happen, but it is not a religion problem. It is a PEDOPHILIA problem. They live and work among us everywhere and identify with many different faiths and backgrounds.

Don’t believe everything the media tells you. Worldwide 1.8% of Priests have been accused of sexual abuse. That’s lower than the rate that pedophilia occurs in the general population. Children have a higher risk of being sexually abused at the Doctor than they do in a Catholic Church or school.

Reactions: Amb3096
I think Mulkey is next, she hasn't looked good in yrs and bells palsy is stress related. I give her and geno 3 yrs tops

Bell’s palsy is not stress related. It can be stress related. But it is idiopathic by nature. It can be caused by viral illness, surgical nerve damage, Botox injections, surgery elsewhere on the body and any number of other maladies.

To say that she developed it because she’s stressed and wants to quit her job is a bit of a reach. She had major back surgery before the 18-19 season and gained weight because she was unable to exercise for months. I think she’s in her prime and seems to love what she does.

Ironically, she was my second choice for this job after Walz. It will be interesting to see how she does compared to Kellie as she is walking into a worse situation. I'll be watching...

I don’t think the bar should be matter-of-factly lowered for Coach Ivey and Notre Dame Women’s Basketball. If nothing else, the recent weeks have brought to light the powder keg that Kellie actually negotiated through this very tough season.
You’ve rightly pointed out that Tennessee had/has several All-Americans, just as others have counter-opined that there’s a lot more to it ...than stars. The recent transfers, coupled with the pre-season departures should make very clear that Kellie has done an incredible job to reasonably hold things together. But, the Notre Dame brand is nothing to laugh at. They’ll have the talent and backing to help Coach Ivey along.

Dang ya'll, bell's palsy and child molestation and the end of women's college basketball as we know it and which coaching legend going next? I think I'll go catch up on the global pandemic.

Did someone try to lower the ND bar? I thought their bar was pretty low already after last season. I'm sure Muffett (only thing I don't like about her, that dumb name) would have liked to have left Ivey in a little better situation. I hope ND can return to being a thorn in Geno's side.

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back