Mullen fired at Florida

Lane Kiffin is talked a lot about. Apparently he contacted UF because he is interested in it. Also his Ex-wife is the Daughter of Gators great QB Reeves. I know Lane wants the job, but I think the Gators go with Billy Napier unless LSU gets him. The UF admin likes Napier a lot and he fits the Spurrier, Meyer, Bill D model of a young successful up and coming coach. I would prefer Napier anyways.

My list of who I want in order (realistic candidates):

Top tier:

Napier
Fickell
Freeze (they probably won't even touch him)

Next tier:
Kiffin
Campbell
Miranda'

Cristobal would make a recruiting juggernaut and he would win some games and have some success, but he isn't a great xs and os coach and he would have some subpar seasons. He reminds me of a Cuban version of Jimbo Fisher.
You mean Dave Aranda?

Skipped to the end. Have we heard anything from Jaws, 99, LW or LG? This is one time I really want to listen to their insight.

With one HUGE difference. UF won't allow their own ego's to sabotage their search process. They will not automatically pass on Hugh, Lane and possibly others due to personal insecurities. They will hit a grand slam, just watch and see.
Could be but it’s not as easy as it seems and sometimes the obvious one isn’t the ONE (Sark/TX). I look at Ark, UT, SC where all hired normal (no weird personality disorders) and high character guys...and seems to pay dividends. I think UF desires the same and so I don’t think they go the route of Kiffin or Freez. White coming over to UT I think helped set the culture and he knew what he had in JH. I think UF and LSU may get coaches who win the presser, but struggle more than you’d think they will finding the next high level coach...which is all good for UT.

When they hire his replacement, they will have had more head coaches than Tennessee in the past 10 seasons (6 vs 7 when you include interims)

With one HUGE difference. UF won't allow their own ego's to sabotage their search process. They will not automatically pass on Hugh, Lane and possibly others due to personal insecurities. They will hit a grand slam, just watch and see.
Muschamp, McClain and Mullen are the last 3 hires. Does that mean those 3 are on base and the next hire will hit it out of the park and bring all 3 in?

Bruce Feldman from The Athletic had (in no specific order)…
Luke Fickell
Matt Campbell
Mark Stoops
James Franklin
Billy Napier
Todd Monken
Dan Quinn (wildcard mention)

Quinn would provide a pro's perspective having coached the Falcons to a Super Bowl in 2016.

Championships are the expectation at UF. In 4 seasons Dan had 0 SEC titles, 0 national titles, 0 trips to the playoffs, and terrible recruiting. The talent on the roster was getting worse and worse. The recruiting class this year is horrible. Dan is a stubborn fool that hired terrible assistant coaches and then stuck with them and refused to fire them even after years of failure. Also he played inferior seniors over superior underclassmen like Emory Jones over Anthony Richardson. He is not a championship caliber coach.

People talk about last season, but Mullen wasted it. If Mullen wasn't an idiot and didn't hire a bad DC like Grantham he probably would have been in the playoffs. Also Kyle Trask, Kyle Pitts, and Toney were all McElwain recruits. Mullen is so stubborn. He only started Dak at MSU because the QB ahead of him became injured. He only started Trask because Franks became injured. He should have started Richardson over Emory, but he didn't because of blind loyalty and seniority.

I appreciate the response. I thought it might be something more nuanced. But basically the expectation he didn’t meet was winning enough games.

Bruce Feldman from The Athletic had (in no specific order)…
Luke Fickell
Matt Campbell
Mark Stoops
James Franklin
Billy Napier
Todd Monken
Dan Quinn (wildcard mention)
I really don't understand why James Franklin keeps getting mentioned for head coach openings. Is Penn State not as good of a job as Florida? Penn State should be a top 10 to 15 job in the country.

I really don't understand why James Franklin keeps getting mentioned for head coach openings. Is Penn State not as good of a job as Florida? Penn State should be a top 10 to 15 job in the country.

The PSU fans I know are getting pretty tired of James Franklin.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Florida’s next coach? Fans weigh in on the Gators next head coach

Let me say first that I am glad that we have the hype, but what many may have missed during our coaching search was that if we hired Kiffin, we wouldn't have to play against him at a program like Alabama, LSU or Florida. I think we are going to pay a big price for not hiring him. I hope Heupel proves me wrong and starts recruiting like gangbusters, but I will be a little surprised if he can keep up with a Kiffin at Florida, in the long run.
I don't understand why Kiffin is such a hot commodity. He had a great opportunity here and then bolted for USC the moment they came calling. He ended up getting fired at USC. That's two top 15 all time programs he's been at and didn't succeed. If he's smart he will stay at Ole Miss.

Wow, Florida didn't screw around. No waiting around until their fans are beyond disgusted and disillusioned. No foot dragging through years of mediocrity, satisfied with obvious decline. No waiting until too late to start a haphazard coaching search, then mailing it in with more mediocrity. It almost seems like Florida has an administration in touch with the fanbase.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude

VN Store

Back