Mullen fired at Florida

They didn’t burn couches because a 7-6 season with a butt whippin from Virginia Tech as the cherry on top was the ultimate definition of greatness either. The couch burning was in response to his prickish actions. Someone who was given the opportunity he was given here does not treat this great university the way he did. That’s why they were upset. Once he got to USC, he immediately pissed away a #1 ranking and sputtered to a mediocre session with a fully loaded Pete Carroll built team with every tool in the box needed to win it all, and that was before they suffered a scratch from the sanctions. You can make all the excuses you want for him not to have reached all of this potential that you see in him, but he just isn’t a good CEO type that is needed. He oozes immaturity and always has his ear to the ground for a newer, shinier object. Anybody who hires him WILL get what they deserve, and it won’t be championships.
Not to mention he and his assistants (Orgeron included) went on to start calling our recruits that they wanted and tell them not to sign their Letters of Intent. That made me FURIOUS

I would be fine with that. It’s not like he did anything but get fired on the airport runway last time he was head coach at an elite program.
Sure what a lousy coach at 9 and 2 in his second year with wins over Ark, LSU and A&M. I wish we could hire such a bad coach who is an excellent recruiter and QB coach. :rolleyes:

Not to mention he and his assistants (Orgeron included) went on to start calling our recruits that they wanted and tell them not to sign their Letters of Intent. That made me FURIOUS
That’s what I’m saying, the entire series of events that night was a showcase of disrespect to this university, the team, the fan base, etc. And then to have all of this people always saying to let it go, he’s changed, let’s bring him home, it’s insulting. Even if he were this absolute unit of a football coach that they idolize, which is another argument altogether, there is no way I would ever have him back here.

I hate these carousels and honestly don't know what names are being discussed where (too much drama).
That said, I will be surprised if someone looking for a HC doesn't snag Lebby.

When are fans like you going to learn. It doesn’t matter what coach we have or what coach UF has. They own us completely when it comes to football. Next year will be no different. There will be some fans that say oh UF has a new coach with a new system. We have Heupel and our offense is clicking, UF is down and we can get them. Then when we play they will beat us by 21+.
So true but I wonder what would have happened had we played them later in the year. Not with what we know about UF now but just from a confidence stand point. We have gotten stronger as the year went on and even though I don't know that we beat them I think we show much better.

The gap isn't as big as it seemed in that game. We are trending the right way. Just need more horses.

Last edited:
Florida isn't buying out Heupel's contract at $8 million, and then paying him $6+ million a year after a single year in the SEC with a .500 conference record.
This is battered Vol syndrome talking. No one is going after CJH and I really doubt he would leave for these programs. He knows what we are building and I would be really surprised unless the financial piece was just massive.

Reactions: BeardedVol
This is battered Vol syndrome talking. No one is going after CJH and I really doubt he would leave for these programs. He knows what we are building and I would be really surprised unless the financial piece was just massive.
If you heard Heupel's comments about the stadium renovation, it was telling. Something to the tune of "I didn't realize exactly what I landed in, this place is great". I think he's liking Knoxville, Neyland and all that comes with it. His baseline of comparison would be Norman, UCF and Missouri (maybe some other stops along the way I'm not familiar with). If we get "good again", why would he leave?

Reactions: FlVols and KHVol

It was not letter of intent, about 11 of them were already on campus as early enrollees but to complete the deal all they had to do was go to class the next morning and they called them ON UT PHONES and advised them not to. If I remember right there was a 12th who was on his way the next morning and he did not and ended up elsewhere,,,,, but it has been a bunch of years.................. anybody confirm or correct this memory?

If you heard Heupel's comments about the stadium renovation, it was telling. Something to the tune of "I didn't realize exactly what I landed in, this place is great". I think he's liking Knoxville, Neyland and all that comes with it. His baseline of comparison would be Norman, UCF and Missouri (maybe some other stops along the way I'm not familiar with). If we get "good again", why would he leave?

PLUS.... he should have a comfort level with his current boss and unless he has hard knowledge of pursuers, the risk/reward calculations would enter the thought processes. Besides I don't see him being a classless guy that would shake someone's hand, then walk away from them and the players after ONE year. Though we do know what one looks and smells like. Luckily, we did not have to ignore warnings about his ethics like the last guy to do that to us. Never say never I guess, but I would be really disappointed to be fooled like that.

Per my guy in the Florida AD office. they are planning to interview Ed Orgeron next week.

Since LSU owns the gators, the AD is impressed with their staff.

Darn, I think Kiffen said something similar before he left for S.C. I doubt Heupel is on anyone of the top jobs radar.

Reactions: Remy and ptcarter

VN Store

Back