My take on the transfer class

Didn’t Gainey and Knecht both just play ahead of younger guys?
Sure, because they were better than the freshman we had. The best players will play but what if these sophmores take a big leap. They could end up being better than one of these incoming transfers. Reading this forum you would think they might as well not even show up for the first day of practice.

Sure, because they were better than the freshman we had. The best players will play but what if these sophmores take a big leap. They could end up being better than one of these incoming transfers. Reading this forum you would think they might as well not even show up for the first day of practice.
Not sure who’s saying that, I think most expect Carr & Estrella to have major roles on this team

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm guessing he's referring to Kim English, if anyone.
You know it will be.

Had a decent year at Prov, had a nice class coming in. His trajectory keeps going up.

Not sure what he makes, but you could also save money by hiring him. That allows you to pay Hype and TV more to keep them. I hate comparing them, but sorta like the KC deal

You know it will be.

Had a decent year at Prov, had a nice class coming in. His trajectory keeps going up.

Not sure what he makes, but you could also save money by hiring him. That allows you to pay Hype and TV more to keep them. I hate comparing them, but sorta like the KC deal
He’ll have to continue the upward trajectory. But it makes sense. However, I’ll say this…it’ll be Danny White’s hire. So while Barnes’ recommendation will be a plus, and his knowledge of UT will also help, those things won’t make him an automatic hire. White will do his due diligence and hire the guy HE thinks is best. He always does.

I’ve been thinking and would actually love KE being the choice. But the more I hear White on the radio the more I think he will take a shot or two at a proven Offensive coach. The guy loves offense and I’m not offended at all if KE hasn’t proven to be that guy, when the time comes.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Reactions: b_gann

I understand the level of competition is going to increase, but it's hard for me to see Dubar not starting. While Dubar isn't a strong shot creator, he does everything else well on offense. Dubar is a good cutter, he is good in transition, he can post up, and he is a good spot up shooter. If he is a good defender, I just don't see Dubar being the guy to come off the bench.

I understand the level of competition is going to increase, but it's hard for me to see Dubar not starting. While Dubar isn't a strong shot creator, he does everything else well on offense. Dubar can cut, he is good in transition, he can post up, and he a good spot up shooter. If he is a good defender, I just don't see Dubar being the guy to come off the bench.

Only 5 starting spots and more than likely the 4 spot is the least set. ZZ, Lanier, Mashack, and Felix have 1,2,3,5 spots most likely. It is really who is better between Dubar and Igor for the 4. Is there a scenario Mashack comes off the bench? Sure but I think he'll start just given what Barnes knows what he'll get out of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: onfocusgovols
Only 5 starting spots and more than likely the 4 spot is the least set. ZZ, Lanier, and Felix have 1,2,3,5 spots most likely. It is really who is better between Dubar and Igor for the 4. Is there a scenario Mashack comes off the bench? Sure but I think he'll start just given what Barnes knows what he'll get out of him.

I also think that Mashack will start. But his minutes might not increase more than a couple per game. Perhaps he’ll start at the 4 and go to the 3 with the first round of substitutes entering.

After reading this, I’m thinking Dubar is first off the bench as the 3 .. splitting time with Mashack mostly. Maybe the rotation will be this?
ZZ / Boswell
Lanier / Gainey / Carr
Mashack / Dubar
Igor / Cade
Okafor/ Estrella
Probably. I could see them working Gainey as the backup PG to allow Carr more room and Boswell to grow.

I think you both have a fair point as it pertains to guys like Lanier, Milicic, and Dubar. We need to see those guys do it at the highest level before just assuming they are the latest and greatest. Our staff believes they can be, which should give us hope, but they also believed in guys like Tyreke Key, Jordan Gainey, and EJ Anosike. Not all those lightly-recruited, lower-level transfers translate their skill to the SEC level at similar outputs following success at the low-major level.

However, Felix Okpara is entirely outside of that mold and was the specific player mentioned in the post you quoted. Okpara was a consensus top-100 player, a kid Tennessee heavily recruited as a high school player, and has played with success at the highest level. He has similar efficiency number as a sophomore to what Aidoo had as a sophomore. He plays with more edge and aggression. He's a better finisher around the rim. There's a lot to be excited about with him and expectations are more fair because he's competed at this level with some success. An offseason with our staff developing him should present another level of improvement.

Long story short, there is less hope and blind optimism involved with expecting him to help adequately replace the departed than there are with the others.
Good post and valid points. My only disagreement is that I wouldn't put Gainey in the same category as Key and Anosike. If he struggles next year, then he does deserve that label. The only down side to Knecht's phenomenal season was that a few guys, Gainey included, had a very difficult time getting into an offensive flow. I foresee next year being a much more balanced offense with a lot of guys contributing. I'm in no way saying that as a criticism of DK, but I think it was the case.

I understand the level of competition is going to increase, but it's hard for me to see Dubar not starting. While Dubar isn't a strong shot creator, he does everything else well on offense. Dubar is a good cutter, he is good in transition, he can post up, and he is a good spot up shooter. If he is a good defender, I just don't see Dubar being the guy to come off the bench.

That is ridiculously efficient from everywhere. I think Mashack starts at the 3 due to the opportunity he has earned over the years but ultimately who plays the most minutes will be who can put the ball in the bucket more often. Barnes has embraced a new offensive brand and despite all his successful years in coaching his best years may be ahead of him simply due to the transfer portal. Frankly I'm looking forward to this lineup on the court at the same time: Milicic, Dubar, Mashack (or Carr), Lanier and Zeigler.

Reactions: onfocusgovols
Good post and valid points. My only disagreement is that I wouldn't put Gainey in the same category as Key and Anosike. If he struggles next year, then he does deserve that label. The only down side to Knecht's phenomenal season was that a few guys, Gainey included, had a very difficult time getting into an offensive flow. I foresee next year being a much more balanced offense with a lot of guys contributing. I'm in no way saying that as a criticism of DK, but I think it was the case.
That's probably fair. Gainey certainly has a chance to work himself away from that dubious designation. I do think he will struggle to find minutes unless rediscovers his previous shooting touch from his USC Upstate days, though. He isn't really good at much else and lots of guys were brought in to compete with him at his position. It's an uphill battle, but maybe he's motovated by it.

That's probably fair. Gainey certainly has a chance to work himself away from that dubious designation. I do think he will struggle to find minutes unless rediscovers his previous shooting touch from his USC Upstate days, though. He isn't really good at much else and lots of guys were brought in to compete with him at his position. It's an uphill battle, but maybe he's motovated by it.
Definitely looks to be some serious competition for minutes at the 2 and 3. That's almost always a good thing.

VN Store

Back