Nathan Peterman: The Future

voldawgforever

I didn't get caught up in any hype, or lack of, when UT was recruiting Peterman. After watching these highlights a few times, I have formed a VERY positive opinion of him.
His pocket presence, and pure natural ability to avoid pressure is off the charts. He moves around smoothly in the pocket, and seems to never take his eyes away from downfield. Focused. Very focused. Also, his arm strength appears to be top shelf. He doesn't seem to have to step into the throw to get it down field quickly. And when he does step into the throw, it is truly a bomb.
I hate to form a premature opinion of a QB whom has never completed a pass in the SEC, but I believe Coach Chaney may very well have found his new Drew Brees.
Go Vols!!

Nathan Peterman - Tennessee Commit - Senior Highlights - YouTube

Thoughts?

Reactions: 7 people
I agree. He has potential to be a very good QB for us. Think hes 2nd string by early season.

I agree. He has potential to be a very good QB for us. Think hes 2nd string by early season.

I agree. From the coaches interviews and a few comments by players, this guy blew everybody away with his ability. I can't wait for fall competition!!

:loco:

When I watched Peterman's film, I was struck by how much he reminded me of Brett Favre in the early and mid-nineties. Big arm that he takes risks with. He will throw a fair few interceptions, but a coach will put with it because of the high number of touchdowns produced. Decent mobility matched with toughness allows him to roll out of the pocket and pick up yards when things break down. The place where I think the comparison breaks down is the mental aspect because I believe good coaching could allow Peterman to play much smarter than Favre did for much of his career. Getting him good coaching will be key, whether it's this staff or another one.

Pocket presents- when you place your hands in your pockets expecting nothing and finding a jolly rancher or other equal value type candy or money that you did not know was there.

Reactions: 18 people
Looks to have very good foot work
Manages the pocket well
And a good arm angle
Makes all of the throws you want in college

Now he will need to improve his accuracy and progressions in passing

Great prospect

Reactions: 2 people
If Bray doesn't get injured this year, he will likely redshirt,
Yes. So you ask, how does he pass Worley on the depthchart if he redshirts? Sometimes you have to read through it all..

i agree. bray will most likely get every snap, except mop up duty in the 3 other non con games, to be done by worley. bray will play every down in the n c st opener. bray getting injured though, and worley will be in, with peterman taking off the redshirt to get a lot of snaps, also. i think nate will really make worley work hard this summer camp to keep the backup job. great problem to have on our side.

Reactions: 1 person
as a native of Florida, he went to both UF & FSU camps and neither offered him

don't forget, we said the same about worley this time last year. he did have a lot going for him also. gatorade national player of the year for one.

All these recruits have potential especially against their high school competition. So what? Talk to me this time next year. So much will happen before then.

Hope he's awesome, but let's not forget his offer list was pretty milk toast, so lets reign it in a little VN, K?

Peterman blew up on the recruiting trail late, he was already committed to TN at that time. He had a big jump in rankings once he started playing his senior year and progressed

My understanding is Florida began pursuing Peterman last fall and he didn't really much want to hear from them. That could be incorrect, but that was my understanding of his recruitment.

Also, according to ESPN, there was an offer from FSU.

Last edited:
So, if there are 4 great QBs out of Florida in the same year, and Florida don't offer all 4, then whoever they didn't offer must not be worth our time?
OKAY
I can't believe people rely only on the "offer list". Don't be a follower, be a leader.

Very rarely do teams find diamonds at the QB position. If a qb from fl wasnt offered by the top fl schools, there's a reason.

TN was all over Peterman early, first major school to offer if I am remembering right. He blew up late, not exactly a diamond in the rough. Unless you consider 4* Qbs diamonds in the rough.

If Peterman would have been as highly regarded as a junior, Florida schools would have been all over him. He developed more as a senior, really showed his talent. Was too late though cause he was all Vol by then.

Bray's offer list didn't exactly set the world on fire and there are plenty of SEC teams that wouldn't mind having him.

Reactions: 9 people
Randy Smith: Coach Dooley Needs Some Positive Thinkers - 06/06/2012 - Chattanoogan.com

You always seem to want to start the rumblings of changing coaches....I for one am tired of it. Maybe a little "Positive thinking" will help your day.

When I watched Peterman's film, I was struck by how much he reminded me of Brett Favre in the early and mid-nineties. Big arm that he takes risks with. He will throw a fair few interceptions, but a coach will put with it because of the high number of touchdowns produced. Decent mobility matched with toughness allows him to roll out of the pocket and pick up yards when things break down. The place where I think the comparison breaks down is the mental aspect because I believe good coaching could allow Peterman to play much smarter than Favre did for much of his career. Getting him good coaching will be key, whether it's this staff or another one.

Peterman almost seems to control the flow of the game, instead of playing in the game. I'm very impressed with his abilities.

VN Store

Back