NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP Tennessee Volunteers Baseball Merchandise Thread (Including Player NIL Products & Events) & Link to the Volnation Store(Post #1)

Thanks. I love having a family connection for over a century. My grandfather enrolled about two years after World War I.

Just reading that statement fascinates me. The way campus must have looked, how classes were taught, the things going on, the things not even dreamed of yet, the things still fresh in society's memories....

Just reading that statement fascinates me. The way campus must have looked, how classes were taught, the things going on, the things not even dreamed of yet, the things still fresh in society's memories....
You're right. I've looked in scrapbooks over the years and seen campus photos and look what is still there, and what is now gone. I remember hearing about how he and my grandmother (also a graduate) took in some students during the Great Depression when they couldn't afford getting home for Christmas break. He was in the administration for decades and, in part, he led a university funded religious organization that public universities are no longer allowed to fund. I'm fascinated that the people he was friends with from school (whether as a fellow student, a student of, or worked with later) are intertwined with the university- Ayres, Holt, Boling, Hoskins, Reese, Hodges, Johnson, Buehler, Dunford, Stokely, and others. I've seen black and white film from the 1930s where he's there when the original Torchbearer was being discussed, and a group photo from when the Torchbearer was (finally) unveiled in the late 1960s.

You're right. I've looked in scrapbooks over the years and seen campus photos and look what is still there, and what is now gone. I remember hearing about how he and my grandmother (also a graduate) took in some students during the Great Depression when they couldn't afford getting home for Christmas break. He was in the administration for decades and, in part, he led a university funded religious organization that public universities are no longer allowed to fund. I'm fascinated that the people he was friends with from school (whether as a fellow student, a student of, or worked with later) are intertwined with the university- Ayres, Holt, Boling, Hoskins, Reese, Hodges, Johnson, Buehler, Dunford, Stokely, and others. I've seen black and white film from the 1930s where he's there when the original Torchbearer was being discussed, and a group photo from when the Torchbearer was (finally) unveiled in the late 1960s.
What a wonderful legacy!

Just amazing stuff. It’s so cool to me because I’ve been in or had classes in the buildings named for all of those folks.

It’s surreal to think about a family member being around all of them.

Just amazing stuff. It’s so cool to me because I’ve been in or had classes in the buildings named for all of those folks.

It’s surreal to think about a family member being around all of them.
Thanks. I’m still friends with members of the Ayres, Holt, Boling, Buehler, and Stokely families. When I would bump into the late Joe Johnson, he would tell me stories about my grandfather.

I went through some things tonight and came across these university directories. Harcourt Morgan was the president at the time.

IMG_5906.jpeg

Thanks. I’m still friends with members of the Ayres, Holt, Boling, Buehler, and Stokely families. When I would bump into the late Joe Johnson, he would tell me stories about my grandfather.

I went through some things tonight and came across these university directories. Harcourt Morgan was the president at the time.

View attachment 668712
Holy cow, those are priceless. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 668712

That is so cool!

In my time as a history major, I'd find myself getting distracted from what I was actually researching by stuff exactly like that. Old directories, yearbooks, newspapers. I loved looking at the most minor things like advertisements and small side stories.

But one of those directories is something that would always catch my eye- I always got a kick out of really old stuff still having orange on it. Looking through old materials, so much stuff is black/white but seeing orange on something from UT never failed to make me smile.

That is so cool!

In my time as a history major, I'd find myself getting distracted from what I was actually researching by stuff exactly like that. Old directories, yearbooks, newspapers. I loved looking at the most minor things like advertisements and small side stories.

But one of those directories is something that would always catch my eye- I always got a kick out of really old stuff still having orange on it. Looking through old materials, so much stuff is black/white but seeing orange on something from UT never failed to make me smile.

My wife wanted a first day of school picture from our son. He sent her a selfie in front of Ayres Hall and it was posted on social media. An Ayres commented last night, “hey, I know that building! GBO!”

You can go here and look through old Tennessee yearbooks: Volunteer Yearbooks. Like you, I enjoy getting distracted by things like this.

VN Store

Back