New TN Bill will allow you to kill robbers

NEO

Eat at Joe's
New TN bill was just proposed that will allow a person to shoot a criminal on their property who are stealing from them whether or not their lives are in danger.

Currently, your life or someone else's life must be in danger to use deadly force.

With this new bill you life does not need to be in danger. You simply need to feel deadly force is required to keep your property safe.

Not gonna lie.....I like it.

You step on my property with intent to steal then you get what you get. Just walk out the house, pull the trigger, and then call the morgue to come get the body.

How's everybody else feel about this bill?

The downside could be a shop keeper could just shoot a customer thinking he was stealing. Bill needs tightened up a bit.

New TN bill was just proposed that will allow a person to shoot a criminal on their property who are stealing from them whether or not their lives are in danger.

Currently, your life or someone else's life must be in danger to use deadly force.

With this new bill you life does not need to be in danger. You simply need to feel deadly force is required to keep your property safe.

You step on my property with intent to steal then you get what you get. Just walk out the house, pull the trigger, and then call the morgue to come get the body.

The downside could be a shop keeper could just shoot a customer thinking he was stealing. Bill needs tightened up a bit.
It’s worded to protect shop owners from groups of people looting their businesses

I wonder, currently does anyone in the heat of the moment choose to withhold fire because they are considering state law? If not, I can't imagine this opening up a wild west situation. In fact, I think little would change except for prosecuting the shooter after the fact.

How long will it last when the bodies hit the floor.

If you your life isn't in danger and you shoot someone you are committing murder.

Its sad some people salivate at the chance to kill someone for a couple of dollars to play tough guy.

Definitely not anyone claiming to be a Christian can support this.
Meh, I see both sides. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Don’t want to get shot? Don’t rob somebody.

Punishment should be proportional to crime. This kind of thing just starts an arms race with criminals and puts property owners at greater risk of violence themselves.

Reactions: k-town_king
Meh, I see both sides. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Don’t want to get shot? Don’t rob somebody.
I agree that you shouldn't 't put yourself in that position.

But if someone is stealing or stole something and you kill them and they are unarmed or running away you are a murderer.

Reactions: NashVol11
I agree that you shouldn't 't put yourself in that position.

But if someone is stealing or stole something and you kill them and they are unarmed or running away you are a murderer.
Would I personally shoot someone in the back that’s running away? No. Some people do and will. However, it still falls on the person robbing.

Punishment should be proportional to crime. This kind of thing just starts an arms race with criminals and puts property owners at greater risk of violence themselves.
Not really.

You break in someones house and you re taking a chance on getting shot. That didn't start with this bill.

Reactions: davethevol and AM64
Idk. I’ve dealt with quite a few criminals. Many of them are deterred by a security system sticker in your door. Most are looking for easy money, not a gunfight. I’m not sure I agree with the law but if it acts as a deterrent that would be ok.

Evidence?
It's all about what criminals expectations will be. They'll be inclined to be armed and/or attack people that they want to rob or vandalize thinking their actions might be met with deadly force. More violence is never the answer.

It's all about what criminals expectations will be. They'll be inclined to be armed and/or attack people that they want to rob or vandalize thinking their actions might be met with deadly force. More violence is never the answer.
I'm asking you for a study or evidence that this is what has borne out in states with similar laws, not your harebrained opinion. Should I make myself clearer?

If you your life isn't in danger and you shoot someone you are committing murder.

Its sad some people salivate at the chance to kill someone for a couple of dollars to play tough guy.

Definitely not anyone claiming to be a Christian can support this.

If somebody is willing to endanger their life to steal something worth a couple of dollars, then perhaps the problem is that they dont place much value on their life.

If the expectations are, the chances of me being shot have increased, more often than not they will look for a softer target.

I'm asking you for a study or evidence that this is what has borne out in states with similar laws, not your harebrained opinion. Should I make myself clearer?
I could ask the same of you. There isn't one for your side either. You have to try to use forethought to see the results of the law. Hacking away further at the social fabric isn't what's needed right now. Trying to find ways to shore it up is.

VN Store

Back