New Yahoo Story Claiming the NCAA can/will do nothing to UT, ALA, and MISS ST

If couch did it then I hope he gets kicked off the team. I would be so ashamed to put my school and team in jeopardy of sanctions for a few thousand dollars.

If Bama was involved, then we are safe. No way they touch their golden cash cow.

Better yet if none of the players admit to anything. We should be fine. Please don't let a disgruntled Tyler bray exact revenge. Hopefully his animosity wasn't any with the school and fans but strictly with Dooley.

If couch did it then I hope he gets kicked off the team. I would be so ashamed to put my school and team in jeopardy of sanctions for a few thousand dollars.

Obviously haven't been keeping close track of the story. Probably best for you not to comment on it until you do.

Reactions: 1 person
Just my opinion, but I think the saddest part of this is that a married man with a kid (Couch) who is tied down with football and can't do very much to support his family is seemingly involved in something that "investigative writers" spent way too much time trying to dig up dirt in order to profit from it themselves.

I know rules are rules, and if he did it, by rule he should have to face the consequences, but it's just sad that his shot at the pros which would lead to a way better financial situation could be in jeopardy because of a pretty insignificant amount. What if that money was just to help pay for diapers and baby food for his kid? Not to speculate what the money was for, but it just seems that something this minuscule should just go untold or at the very most be a payback and maybe a couple of games suspension.

Reactions: 8 people
So, the paper trail isn't necessarily tied to the universities or coaching staff's, which means most likely nothing will become of this other than helping us get to a pay-for-play system sooner!

Y! SPORTS

The figures are so small that I don't see how the NCAA could press a case here. They might be able to do so legally, but I don't think public opinion is going to be with them on players that received less than $3,000 total.

It's also unclear how the universities or coaching staffs could possibly police this. It's like saying that the coach is responsible for a player smoking a joint with friends in mid-June. Coaches aren't babysitters.

This 'stunning expose' seems to expose what we already knew. If you take away college players' rights to earn any money, they find backdoor channels. If you start penalizing the teams and universities for this, you basically have to put every single top-tier NCAA team on probation.

The holier than thou attitude of people like mr Wetzel make me sick. On one hand they are shouting to the mountaintops how bad it is for universities to make money while providing higher education to tens of thousands of students free every year but not one mention of how much money they are making off of em. Is Yahoo donating some of the money they are making back into general schollarsip funds? Would mr Wetzel even have a job if it wasn't for these student athletes?

Reactions: 2 people
So, the paper trail isn't necessarily tied to the universities or coaching staff's, which means most likely nothing will become of this other than helping us get to a pay-for-play system sooner!

Y! SPORTS

This is great!! See we can pay the players an allowance of maybe $6,000 per season. Then the womens athletics will want to get paid also. Maybe we can pay the women soccer, volleyball, track & field, bowling, swim & dive teams.

If we don't pay them also, then they will sue the NCAA, the University, etc.

Then we will figure out that the only income generating sports are football, men & womens basketball. So, from the funds generated from those three teams, we can pay every athlete in the University, or get sued. Mens baseball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, track & field, bowling, swim & dive team, rowing.....

Now, what do you think will happen when all of these athletes, even from non money generating sports demand to be paid or they will sue?

Option (1) Pay them and have no money in the athletic department.

Option (2) Since we can't pay every athlete in the University, then we will drop all sports that do not generate a profit. So, U.T. will no longer have soccer, tennis, etc. because they don't make enough money to pay their own athlete's.

So, your " pay the athletes" idea is not a good one.....

Reactions: 4 people
Just my opinion, but I think the saddest part of this is that a married man with a kid (Couch) who is tied down with football and can't do very much to support his family is seemingly involved in something that "investigative writers" spent way too much time trying to dig up dirt in order to profit from it themselves.

I know rules are rules, and if he did it, by rule he should have to face the consequences, but it's just sad that his shot at the pros which would lead to a way better financial situation could be in jeopardy because of a pretty insignificant amount. What if that money was just to help pay for diapers and baby food for his kid? Not to speculate what the money was for, but it just seems that something this minuscule should just go untold or at the very most be a payback and maybe a couple of games suspension.

My sentiments exactly. Case by case basis. You don't see Maurice sporting $3,000 suits or pulling up in an Escalade. The guy received $950 in the course of 5 months. Hardly a guy who was trying to work the system. And looking at his personal situation, sounds like Couch was doing hat he had to do to support his family. Anyone that gets on a pedestal on this should have Butch's bricks thrown at them.

It's bc of a$$hats like you, I'd throw Tennessee under the bus, if I was Tyler Bray after how us fans have treated him.

But, he will prob keep quite and save UT from more probation.

thank him later

If Bray were to sing like a canary, UT would get no probation-- unless he said UT brokered the deal. UT has not been implicated in any of this. It was behind their back.

This is great!! See we can pay the players an allowance of maybe $6,000 per season. Then the womens athletics will want to get paid also. Maybe we can pay the women soccer, volleyball, track & field, bowling, swim & dive teams.

Then we will figure out that the only income generating sports are football, men & womens basketball. So, from the funds generated from those three teams, we can pay every athlete in the University, or get sued. Mens baseball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, track & field, bowling, swim & dive team, rowing.....

Now, what do you think will happen when all of these athletes, even from non money generating sports demand to be paid or they will sue?

Option (2) Since we can't pay every athlete in the University, then we will drop all sports that do not generate a profit. So, U.T. will no longer have soccer, tennis, etc. because they don't make enough money to pay their own athlete's.

Women's basketball doesn't make money, or at least not in past. Title 9 would eliminate option 2 and option 1 is not accurate

If Bray were to sing like a canary, UT would get no probation-- unless he said UT brokered the deal. UT has not been implicated in any of this. It was behind their back.

Exactly. It's becoming more evident who actually read and comprehended the yahoo article and who didn't. All of these cases are kids receiving cash from a bagman not connected with any university (although he did play at Bama). If anything Tyler should be grateful that he would even allowed to return and maintain his VFL status under the new regime. They owe him nothing, and he has done nothing but bring heat on the university since his arrival here. Classic Lane Kiffin recruit is all I have to say.

I am sick and tired of this lame excuse. Women's sports and most men's sports are not revenue generating. Title 9 should stay intact and keep the same number of scholarships, but to pay someone who does not generate revenue? The "pay for play" takes major college football out of guise the NCAA or disbands the NCAA completely. There is too much money being earned right now for the universities, networks and advertisers. Yes the players are getting the full cost of tuition plus athletic extras, but they are also taking a huge risk to play college football with injuries possibly ruining their future income potential with the NFL. Not to mention the associated head injuries. And yes, i get that they are assuming this risk when they decide to play, but this is not 1960 anymore and every decision made by teams and conferences is done completely with money in mind. If football players are paid (and forced to pay money back if they leave early, or are kicked off the team) you will see a lot of guys stay longer and get degrees because they are invested in it. I understand that there will still be behind the scenes deals even if the players get paid, but until the NFL forms an agreement with college football to crack down on players, agents, etc there will be no change. The NFL has no vested interest in it, and actually they are losing revenue as College football is catching up. The players have a right to make more than an education because they are making their universities hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reactions: 1 person
Women's basketball doesn't make money, or at least not in past. Title 9 would eliminate option 2 and option 1 is not accurate

I think his point is that if you paid football players you would have to pay every scholarship athlete regardless of the sport according to Title IX. And most universities don't have the resources to do this.

I think his point is that if you paid football players you would have to pay every scholarship athlete regardless of the sport according to Title IX. And most universities don't have the resources to do this.

Which is why College football would have to be outside of NCAA coverage.

Which is why College football would have to be outside of NCAA coverage.

Kind of kills the level playing field though. You would have the same 15-20 universities who had the biggest donors stay on top every year. At least a structured environment gives other universities a fighting shot. I will say the NCAA needs to hire full time attorney's to put their stick in the mud interpret and re-write some of their outdated non applicable rules to match the landscape of college sports as of today. After these rules have been agreed upon by the universities presidents they should be enforced with as much uniformity as possible to avoid one school from getting hammered like USC and another school which was even worse with their compliance ,run some laps (I.e. Oregon).

Last edited:
The NCAA is not going to do something to vacate Alabama's NC, or anything else with this.

It would basically make the entire 2012 season invalid. A fake. No way they're letting that happen. And if they did, all of the sudden you'd have people everywhere making accusations like this, or trying to scheme, bribe, blackmail whatever to find where some kid inappropriately got a bottle of gatorade. It would create the impression that the national championship or bowl games were only step one. Step 2 would be hoping no one would make an accusation the following year that one of the players took $$ to make the championship invalid. They can't let that happen.

Kind of kills the level playing field though. You would have the same 15-20 universities who had the biggest donors stay on top every year. At least a structured environment gives other universities a fighting shot. I will say the NCAA needs to hire full time attorney's to put their stick in the mud interpret and re-write some of their outdated non applicable rules to match the landscape of college sports as of today. After these rules have been agreed upon by the universities presidents they should be enforced with as much uniformity as possible to avoid one school from getting hammered like USC and another school which was even worse with their compliance had to run some laps (I.e. Oregon).

I completely agree about a level playing field.

Last edited:
It is an easy fix. The universities shouldn't have to pay the players. If the player can make money on his own time doing commercials, autographs etc then let him do it. If the top players get paid good for them. If the non revenue sports or lower tier players don't it isn't the schools fault.

VN Store

Back