New Yahoo Story Claiming the NCAA can/will do nothing to UT, ALA, and MISS ST

Dave Hooker said on the radio if there is no evidence that the school knew about this he didn't think there is anything the ncaa can do. He also said if its proven Bray took money his records should be stripped from the UT record books.

You can't just pay the athletes. Every athlete at the university would have to be paid the same amount no matter how much their respective sport brings in to the school. They should get paid a certain amount each month. Incentives can be added but it'd be up to the university to add them in. It's going to happen at some point. They've had too many problems with it in the past, and it's continuing.

Kind of kills the level playing field though. You would have the same 15-20 universities who had the biggest donors stay on top every year. At least a structured environment gives other universities a fighting shot. I will say the NCAA needs to hire full time attorney's to put their stick in the mud interpret and re-write some of their outdated non applicable rules to match the landscape of college sports as of today. After these rules have been agreed upon by the universities presidents they should be enforced with as much uniformity as possible to avoid one school from getting hammered like USC and another school which was even worse with their compliance had to run some laps (I.e. Oregon).

And that doesn't happen now??? Really??? Football and to some extent Basketball from the big 5 conferences definitely NEEDS to be broken away and under a different rule. I'm sorry, but I just bristle every time I hear that level playing field stuff because I just find it bunk. Heck they've put a wall up the size of the Great Wall of China to keep mid majors out. Oklahoma State was completely side stepped. Boise State has not had a chance in hell even if they ran the tables.

Fact of the matter is these kids are expected to live in abject poverty while they make people billions. Yes, I understand they are getting an education and that is definitely worth something, but the problem is they literally can't make money in any way as it will be construed as a violation somewhere. And honestly even if they could... how would they have time for a job between school and their sport which are both full time jobs in of themselves. Someone asked how this would solve things? Well, it won't but it sure as hell would make it right in my mind.

With all the other sports, there is no need as those are least still in the spirit of collegiate athletics still, and aren't major businesses like Football and Basketball (again to a smaller extent but it's still a pretty decent revenue generator).

Reactions: 1 person
The NCAA is not going to do something to vacate Alabama's NC, or anything else with this.

It would basically make the entire 2012 season invalid. A fake. No way they're letting that happen. And if they did, all of the sudden you'd have people everywhere making accusations like this, or trying to scheme, bribe, blackmail whatever to find where some kid inappropriately got a bottle of gatorade. It would create the impression that the national championship or bowl games were only step one. Step 2 would be hoping no one would make an accusation the following year that one of the players took $$ to make the championship invalid. They can't let that happen.

That is how messed up the NCAA rules. Even if any does become an issue for any of the 3 schools being accused in the article the NCAA has limited power. That can not subpoena any of these items nor they can they use them unless they actually found them in an investigation themselves.

The real interesting part comes with the lack of power by the NCAA. If lets say the NCAA found all schools involved and worse case for UA would be vacate wins in 2012, they can not take away the NC. The BCS can take away the title in their books and so can the AP but the NCAA can not because they do not run it. Reggie Bush caused the BCS to take USC's title away but the AP still has USC NC in those years.

The NCAA is limited and has very little it can do. Robison seems for the most doing this to prove the NCAA is a joke and he has been one strong advocate for paying players. He has also been doing interviews the past two days on the radio basically mocking the NCAA and saying he will not give them one thing. Remember he was the one that served up Miami and the NCAA was not able to use any of it.

In regards to paying players I agree it will not happen. Most schools will not be able to and it will create a huge divide in CFB programs. But I do believe any player that has his name being profited off of should receive that money. The Olympics I believe now allows a player to earn money off his name just not get paid directly for their performance. No reason schools, the NCAA, and others should make millions off their items, name, or signatures.

It is an easy fix. The universities shouldn't have to pay the players. If the player can make money on his own time doing commercials, autographs etc then let him do it. If the top players get paid good for them. If the non revenue sports or lower tier players don't it isn't the schools fault.

Good idea. They still need give all athletes a little money, because I don't know how it is possible to be a full time student, practice ( we all know they need\expected to put in more time then NCAA limit for practice), and work a job.

Last edited:
If a football player has no money, then he will want some money = the current state of college football

If a football player is given some money, then he will want some more money = the future state of college football IF the NCAA decides players can get a stipend

If a football player is given a lot of money, then he will want even more money = the current and future state of the NFL

The point is, throwing money at the football players, regardless of NCAA or NFL, only results in the players wanting more. It is basic human nature. Because of that simple fact, any system of payment will NOT solve the problem of cheating and being paid by agents in the college game.

And that doesn't happen now??? Really??? Football and to some extent Basketball from the big 5 conferences definitely NEEDS to be broken away and under a different rule. I'm sorry, but I just bristle every time I hear that level playing field stuff because I just find it bunk. Heck they've put a wall up the size of the Great Wall of China to keep mid majors out. Oklahoma State was completely side stepped. Boise State has not had a chance in hell even if they ran the tables.

Fact of the matter is these kids are expected to live in abject poverty while they make people billions. Yes, I understand they are getting an education and that is definitely worth something, but the problem is they literally can't make money in any way as it will be construed as a violation somewhere. And honestly even if they could... how would they have time for a job between school and their sport which are both full time jobs in of themselves. Someone asked how this would solve things? Well, it won't but it sure as hell would make it right in my mind.

With all the other sports, there is no need as those are least still in the spirit of collegiate athletics still, and aren't major businesses like Football and Basketball (again to a smaller extent but it's still a pretty decent revenue generator).

So your solution is to double the wall in size? Like you said they are getting their school paid for and have the opportunity to get a free education. As far as extra money goes, allow them to get a job like most other college kids do and call it a day.

So your solution is to double the wall in size? Like you said they are getting their school paid for and have the opportunity to get a free education. As far as extra money goes, allow them to get a job like most other college kids do and call it a day.

Which is an argument I saw on another forum. Non athletes on scholarship can work with no limitations to how much they make but athletes can not.

I do understand the flip side of would they get special treatment for hires them and how much they are paid, but it does go with the argument about they get a free education it seems they should be treated as any scholarship student and be allowed to earn money if needed. Not sure how to police it and maybe that is why they can not anymore.

Which is an argument I saw on another forum. Non athletes on scholarship can work with no limitations to how much they make but athletes can not.

I do understand the flip side of would they get special treatment for hires them and how much they are paid, but it does go with the argument about they get a free education it seems they should be treated as any scholarship student and be allowed to earn money if needed. Not sure how to police it and maybe that is why they can not anymore.

Could send a copy of their W-2s to the NCAA. Obviously there are ways around this with boosters/bagmen giving business owners under the table money and what not, but a lot of people running a business wouldn't want to go through the complexities of hiding extra revenue from the IRS will lying about the wages they would be paying potential student athletes. I'm sure there are holes in this, but just a thought.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that so much of these kids time is devoted to football when they aren't in class that it would be very difficult for them to hold down a part time job, or any job. If they did this then their grades would most likely suffer, and then they would not be eligible because they wouldn't have a high enough grade point average. We have to remember that these kids are required to have a certain gpa to be eligible. I believe something needs to be done, but don't know what.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that so much of these kids time is devoted to football when they aren't in class that it would be very difficult for them to hold down a part time job, or any job. If they did this then their grades would most likely suffer, and then they would not be eligible because they wouldn't have a high enough grade point average. We have to remember that these kids are required to have a certain gpa to be eligible. I believe something needs to be done, but don't know what.

Well you would have the spring and summer where they are limited to a couple weeks of practice. It could be done, and quite frankly probably needs to be done sooner rather than later. And like another poster said in another thread, if they can earn money on their own like the situation with Manziel, let them.

Dave Hooker said on the radio if there is no evidence that the school knew about this he didn't think there is anything the ncaa can do. He also said if its proven Bray took money his records should be stripped from the UT record books.

so vacate all those huge wins he had? like beating NC State

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back