next season

If he is to become a Vick, he won't be wearing orange when it happens. His time at Tennessee is passed.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 17, 2005 10:21 PM
If he is to become a Vick, he won't be wearing orange when it happens. His time at Tennessee is passed.

dont boot him quite yet. we have been known to take extraordinary talent and tranform it at another position. hell kelley washington was a qb.

Schaeffer has made it quite apparent he wants to play QB and nothing else. If Tennessee doesn't give him a shot, somebody will. There are teams out there that need a QB.

Originally posted by dalelindsay81+Jan 17, 2005 10:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dalelindsay81 @ Jan 17, 2005 10:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@Jan 17, 2005 10:21 PM
If he is to become a Vick, he won&#39;t be wearing orange when it happens. His time at Tennessee is passed.

dont boot him quite yet. we have been known to take extraordinary talent and tranform it at another position. hell kelley washington was a qb. [/quote]
brent made it very clear that he wouldnt do that

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 17, 2005 10:23 PM
Schaeffer has made it quite apparent he wants to play QB and nothing else. If Tennessee doesn&#39;t give him a shot, somebody will. There are teams out there that need a QB.

if he wants to make millions in the nfl he will have to switch. just my opinion
:dunno:

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 17, 2005 10:26 PM
He could very well turn into a stellar RB or WR, but he has only the desire to play quarterback.

i think he could play offensive line. he is real quick u know. :wassup:

Did someone say that the coaches voting in the poll werent dumb? Auburn went undefeated in the SEC, beat a good Tennessee team twice, and didnt go to the NCG. And that wasn&#39;t dumb???

BCS-BIG CROCK OF SH*T

Oklahoma allowed 46 yards of offense in a conference championship game (I don&#39;t care if they were from the Big XII North. That&#39;s incredible) and USC gave the spanking of a lifetime to a Notre Dame team that managed to beat Tennessee at Neyland. Sounds pretty logical to me.

Auburn just got bad luck this year. Any other year and they would be in the NC game, no doubt.

Until they either institute a playoff system or at least institute a plus one or plus two bowl game system, somebody will get left out, like USC did two years ago and Auburn did this year. BAD LUCK??? Auburn didn&#39;t get unlucky, they were flat out screwed because they started the year so low in the polls (I think it was 23rd). Auburn would have given USC a much better game than Oklahoma did. If they didn&#39;t beat them, that is. So, Oklahoma had one good day on D. They didnt have one in the NCG. They almost got beat a couple of times this year by much lower ranked (or unranked teams) and so did USC. It is a perception game with the polls, especially the preseason ones. The coaches who vote cannot possibly watch all the teams they are ranking play each time they do before their votes are due. So, how can the system be right when it is based on their perception? BTW, am I using the right their?

P.S. I hope we are discussing this and not arguing.

BCS=BIG CROCK OF SH*T

This is a discussion. Also, a big thing of all this has to do with conference strength.

The Pac-10 is generally viewed as being somewhat weaker than the other conferences so USC made up for it by dominating their conference as well as an 11 point victory over Virginia Tech which managed to stick with people when Hokies started taking over the ACC.

Oklahoma went undefeated in the Big XII which was no small feat, but also had a pretty dominating performance over Oregon when the Ducks supposedly had a good look going into the 2004 season, as well as shutting out Texas.

Auburn&#39;s three nonconference games were Louisiana Monroe, The Citadel and Louisiana Tech. Not exactly the best teams to play when in the hunt for a national championship. The SEC got a pretty poor gauge of conference strength in 2004 because most of the teams in the SEC played very low-ranked I-A teams or I-AA teams in their nonconference schedules. Georgia was generally viewed as the only national powerhouse team that the SEC would generate after Oregon State beat LSU for all intents and purposes, but the hopes for the Bulldogs disappeared after the Vols beat Georgia Between The Hedges.

Auburn&#39;s blowout victory over Tennessee at Neyland didn&#39;t help much, either. Tennessee had a flukey-looking win over Florida and an impressive but still narrow-margined victory over Georgia, and after they lost to Auburn, the game said more about Tennessee perhaps not being as good as their record suggested, moreso than Auburn being really good.

Auburn&#39;s final two SEC games, against Alabama and Tennessee didn&#39;t help their cause much as both games were far closer than they were predicted to be while Oklahoma had an impressive win over Colorado and USC had one of their own over Notre Dame (Notre Dame beat Tennessee who gave Auburn a heck of a scare in the SECCG; that&#39;s the direct effect Battle For Shillelagh had on the SEC).

Not detracting anything from Auburn on my part, going undefeated in the SEC is a mighty impressive thing to do. I&#39;m just trying to cast some insight as to why Oklahoma and USC were picked for the national championship over Auburn. I don&#39;t pretend to be able to make any predictions before-the-fact of who should have played in Miami. To do such a thing this year would be impossible -- The case for each team was equally as strong. Auburn didn&#39;t get snubbed because of bias -- They just failed to shine when USC and Oklahoma did. The BCS sucks, but under this system, that&#39;s how it works. You have to win impressively every week.

Just noting that some of the views expressed above are not my own, but my opinion on the national perspective of what was happening in college football.

The SEC looked like it had imploded early on, which did not help Auburn&#39;s cause.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 18, 2005 1:08 AM
Not detracting anything from Auburn on my part, going undefeated in the SEC is a mighty impressive thing to do. I&#39;m just trying to cast some insight as to why Oklahoma and USC were picked for the national championship over Auburn. I don&#39;t pretend to be able to make any predictions before-the-fact of who should have played in Miami. To do such a thing this year would be impossible -- The case for each team was equally as strong. Auburn didn&#39;t get snubbed because of bias -- They just failed to shine when USC and Oklahoma did. The BCS sucks, but under this system, that&#39;s how it works. You have to win impressively every week.

I agree with most of what you said Milo, but I have to disagree with winning impressively every week, because Oklahoma looked very vulnerable against both Texas A&M and Ok. St in the last month of the regular season. Both games could have easily been losses, and A&M was coming off of a loss to Baylor&#33;?&#33;?

Meanwhile, Auburn was winning convincingly in every game, including over Georgia, who was starting to recover after UT beat them.

I don&#39;t think Auburn was held out of the CG because of a bias against the SEC, but rather out of voters apathy/laziness/stuborness in refusing to move any of the top three teams unless somebody lost.

Another problem was the inflated value of the Big 12 South. OU and Texas were good teams, but I don&#39;t really think that Ok St. and A&M were as good as they looked early, I think they were just beating on the absolutely atrocious Big 12 North. Just look at what happened when those two teams had to go up against similar competition from the other conferences. Ohio State destroyed Ok. St., and A&M, well, I don&#39;t feel the need to point out their bowl experience ...

I think that Auburn outperformed OU on weekly basis, but most of the time that isn&#39;t enough, the teams that start at the stop stay at the top unless they screw it up.

With the Vols&#39; 3 non-conference opponents for 2005 ALL being bowl teams in 2004... and 8-of-11 opponents being bowl eligible teams from 2004 (9-of-12 when counting the SEC title game)... I think that the strength of schedule favors Tennessee if multiple teams go undefeated in 2005.

------------------
Schedule with opponents 2004 record in ( )

Tennessee Volunteers (10-3) 2005 Schedule
Alabama-Birmingham (7-5)*
@Florida (7-5)*
@LSU (9-3)*
Ole Miss (4-7)
Georgia (10-2)*
@Alabama (6-6)*
South Carolina (6-5)*
@Notre Dame (6-6)*
Memphis (8-4)*
Vanderbilt (2-9)
@Kentucky (2-9)

2004 record total = 67-61 (.523)

Note that 8-of-11 upcoming opponents were bowl eligible in 2004.

Southern Cal Trojans (13-0) 2005 Schedule
Sept. 3 at Hawaii (8-5)*
Sept. 17 Arkansas (5-6)
Sept. 24 at Oregon (5-6)
Oct. 1 at Arizona State (9-3)*
Oct. 8 Arizona (3-8)
Oct. 15 at Notre Dame (6-6)*
Oct. 22 at Washington (1-10)
Oct. 29 Washington State (5-6)
Nov. 5 Stanford (4-7)
Nov. 12 at California (10-2)*
Dec. 3 UCLA (6-6)*

2004 record total = 62-65 (.488)

Note that 5-of-11 upcoming opponents were bowl eligible in 2004.

Texas Longhorns (11-1) 2005 Schedule
LA.-LAFAYETTE (4-7)
at Ohio State (8-4)*
RICE (3-8)
at Missouri (5-6)
vs. Oklahoma (12-1)*
COLORADO (8-5)*
TEXAS TECH (8-4)*
at Oklahoma State (7-5)*
at Baylor (3-8)
KANSAS (4-7)
at Texas A&M (7-5)*

2004 record total = 69-60 (.535)

Note that 6-of-11 upcoming opponents were bowl eligible in 2004.

Ohio State Buckeyes (8-4) 2005 Schedule
Miami, Ohio (8-5)*
Texas (11-1)*
San Diego State (4-7)
Iowa (10-2)*
@Penn State (4-7)
Michigan State (5-7)
@Indiana (3-8)
@Minnesota (7-5)*
Illinois (3-8)
Northwestern (6-6)
@Michigan (9-3)*

2004 record total = 70-59 (.543)

Note that 5-of-11 upcoming opponents were bowl eligible in 2004.

Originally posted by allvol@Jan 18, 2005 2:41 PM
With the Vols&#39; 3 non-conference opponents for 2005 ALL being bowl teams in 2004... and 8-of-11 opponents being bowl eligible teams from 2004 (9-of-12 when counting the SEC title game)... I think that the strength of schedule favors Tennessee if multiple teams go undefeated in 2005.

You may be correct. I think that this last season, UT&#39;s being ranked low was not necessarily due to direct bias, per se, but each AP (most likely some coaches as well) voter&#39;s preconcieved notion of how each team was supposed to do.

Tennessee was supposed to be an eight win team, nine if we got lucky, ending the season with yet another bowl choke. Even though our loss to Notre Dame was pretty flukey -- One fouled up play by a quarterback who has taken nary a snap in any college game did us in -- the voters saw that we would finish as a nine-win team anyways and used it to retroactively justify our fifteenth-ranked position. Although the games against Vandy and Kentucky didn&#39;t help our cause.

Tennessee could have been ranked higher if the wins over Vandy and Kentucky turned out to be what they were supposed to be, instead of lackluster performances, and could have earned an invitation to the Capital One Bowl over LSU.

This next season, with these high expectations, all we have to do is stay undefeated and we are good. And allvol, I see the point you are making with those stats, except any way you slice it, Ohio State&#39; schedule earns them a whole lot more bragging rights than Tennessee&#39;s. Y&#39;all should pray that Texas wins at Ohio State, to give cushion room to Tennessee. If the Vols and Buckeyes both finish at one loss, Ohio State WILL go to Pasadena instead of UT.

I agree with the statement about the stupidity of not being able to jump a team in the polls unless they lose. What it boiled down to was Auburn not being able to replace the team that played Oklahoma instead with a top division team and that is a crock no matter how you look at it. Also in the mix was the fact that Oklahoma was well overrated in the polls.(Did you see the NCG?). USC would not have dominated Auburn as easily as they did OU.
I disagree with OSU being the pick if TN is also a one loss team. OSU won&#39;t have to win a conference championship game. If TN beats a good ranked opponent in that game, their strength of schedule will get a boost. You can&#39;t look at those strength of schedule numbers until almost the end of the year as they will change weekly depending on whether Bowling Green can beat Rolling Rock and such stupid things.
We need a way to make sure only one team is undefeated at the end of the year when this happens. With the money difference, it would have been smart for the SEC to get Tennessee to roll over for Auburn in the SECCG so they could have the most impressive victory and end up in the NCG. If they keep the system the way it is, it will happen. Who&#39;s to say it didn&#39;t happen in the OU-CU game? Everyone in the conference would get more dollars that way. Oh well, enough of the conspiracy theory.

First of all, Ohio State will get the bowl bid if both teams have the same record.

This is going to thrive on Tennessee beating LSU. By the time the SEC championship game rolls around, Auburn, I believe, will be gone from the rankings, leaving LSU as the only ranked team in the SEC West. If we beat them after Florida, the reaction will be more of a "They already beat them... So what?" I feel that&#39;s the reaction people gave Auburn after the SECCG. But, the fact that they owned us six ways to Sunday the first time around could be it also... Either way, with Ohio State having that kind of schedule, the Vols are going to clearly have to establish themselves as the better team to out-bid the Buckeyes.

For your guys&#39; sake, you should hope Ohio State isn&#39;t all they&#39;re cracked up to be and that the Big Ten beats up on eachother.

:cool: this season for UT will be determened real easy if we come out and just kill florida in the swamp we will be undefeated, if it is a close game again UT will have many close games and probly lose one.

Attachments

• bull_rush.jpg
    bull_rush.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
There is no way you can possibly believe that if UT and OSU end up with one loss each, OSU will get the bid over us automatically. Here is just one of ten million scenarios that blow that theory out of the water:
Tennessee&#39;s one loss could be to LSU the first time. If OSU gets beat by Michigan its last game and Tennessee beats LSU in the SECCG, Tennessee would get the bid.
Anyway, what I am saying is there are too many variables for anyone to guess what can happen in a pollsters mind(if anything): time of loss, opponent in loss, whether his wife gave him some last night, etc.
Texas and Iowa look to be wonderful opponents, but all it takes is for one or both of them to end up with a loss/ losses to a team with a terrible looking SOS or record and that strength of schedule gets killed. This holds true for Tennessee too, tho.
The real question for next year is:
What will the BCS do now without the AP as part of their formula?

I&#39;m not going off of how things SHOULD be, I&#39;m going off of how things ARE.

This ties heavily back to preseason rankings. It&#39;s why Ohio State finished top 25 with a pretty dismal record for a ranked team. It&#39;s why Georgia finished ahead of Tennessee in the polls, even though there is not a single reason as to why. This is why Auburn never got the bid to the Orange Bowl.

Voters based on a combination of how teams are doing, and a preconcieved notion of how they think those teams are supposed to do, i.e. preseason rankings. Ohio State is supposed to have the toughest schedule out of those championship contender teams, and short of Iowa, Michigan and Texas all ending the season around .500, it will stay that way. If Ohio State finishes with the same record as Tennessee but with a much tougher schedule (or even what voters may concieve as a tougher schedule when it may very well not be), then Ohio State will get the votes.

This is esentially what is wrong with using the polls as a system for determining a national champion.

VN Store

Back