Neyland Not on USA Today’s List!

I remember going to a game at Georgia Tech in the ‘60s. Our seats were on the top row, and we could hear the linemen cough, fart, and cuss. That was the highlight. Tech lost to Auburn that day.

Fast forward to 1974 and my first experience in Neyland. I had no idea what a college football game could be until that day. GBO.

Are they meaning game day atmosphere or the actually stadium itself? I've been to Ole Miss, there's 0% chance the stadium is top 4. Maybe the tailgating atmosphere but that's about it.

I’ve no strong opinion on college stadiums. Unfortunately I’ve only watched games in a few so far. I love Sanford Stadium but I can’t personally compare it to other big college stadiums.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there are a few things I’ve heard about Neyland that sound like reasons it might not be on the list. While it’s huge and the atmosphere is great, I’ve heard that it very much needs the coming upgrades. The only other negative I remember hearing is that the layout doesn’t provide decent viewing for all of the seats.

Either way, Neyland is getting from, what I hear, some awesome upgrades over the next few years. I would love to watch a game at Neyland.

This is clearly just uneducated. Ole Miss? Lmao Bryant Denny ain’t even a top 10 let alone number 1.

Neyland Stadium is #13 in the list, and one of the few stadiums that the writer has actually visited--and more than once.

Here's his stated criteria for ranking stadiums:
"...there are so many college football venues that we haven’t experienced yet. So, that’s exactly what the judging metric will be based off of here: The stadiums that we want to go to (or return to) the most."

What he says about Neyland is:
"I’ve enjoyed all my trips to Knoxville, and Neyland Stadium seems like the kind of stadium that will make your jaw drop. Tennessee is even planning major renovations on the stadium for the next few years because of course they are. There’s always room to make a stadium bigger and better in the SEC."

To be honest, this reads like a guy whose assignment was to produce "something colorful on college football," but he knows he's gonna be laid off sometime soon. If he told me he had his daughter go online and grab the best looking photos of college stadiums, and then he sorted them into rank... I'd believe him.

Maybe he cross-referenced the stadiums with fan bases in areas where USA Today is losing readership.

Maybe those areas just have fewer hotels now. Or maybe their hotels have been consigned to house local homeless, and refugees who don't speak English.

The WASP sorority girls used to be the only attraction down there when I was going to away games in the 90s and early 2000's. I don't know if that is anything special to see there today.
Same thing happened with the College of Charleston. Back when I first started working at the Medical University of SC, my colleagues and I used to spend MANY lunch breaks evaluating the incoming talent. Probably one of the few institutions that could match Ole Miss coed for coed for coed. I retired in 2022. I can’t remember the last time I checked out the talent!

Reactions: SpookyAction
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Read the article. Specifically about Ole miss. This is a trash article. It’s not even really about the stadiums. Whoever wrote this should be fired for laziness and having their head up their arse.
It's definitely clickbait to stir people up.

I'll agree The Grove is an "experience" but the stadium vibe is, being polite, below average.

And tossing in Tulane just because it's a stadium in NOLA is just comical.

Without complete trash articles like this to drive people to the site, who is going to actually visit the USA Today on the web? No one.

It's definitely clickbait to stir people up.

I'll agree The Grove is an "experience" but the stadium vibe is, being polite, below average.

And tossing in Tulane just because it's a stadium in NOLA is just comical.

Without complete trash articles like this to drive people to the site, who is going to actually visit the USA Today on the web? No one.
The News/Media has gone to complete shite. I blame social media.

The News/Media has gone to complete shite. I blame social media.
Correct. When anyone can establish a "news site" or "sports site" and create income by saying trash and getting "outrage clicks," you end up with people with more imagination than morals ending up rich for being a "journalist" or "pundit" or "influencer."

I forget that Twitter guy who people have referenced on VN as giving good information who always posts nothing but trash rumors or completely made up "insider info."

Truth is cheap in America.

Correct. When anyone can establish a "news site" or "sports site" and create income by saying trash and getting "outrage clicks," you end up with people with more imagination than morals ending up rich for being a "journalist" or "pundit" or "influencer."

I forget that Twitter guy who people have referenced on VN as giving good information who always posts nothing but trash rumors or completely made up "insider info."

Truth is cheap in America.
Richard G West

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Neyland still needs a lot of work modernizing but I still feel like it should have made the list.

The his wreaks of Dan Wolken, biggest Tennessee hater out there that is still hurt over the Schiano fiasco and blocked 90% of Twitter.

When I lived in Mississippi I went to a couple of games at Ole Miss. The Grove is a good time, even for non-Ole Miss fans, the Ole Miss fans were very hospitable and I enjoyed the overall experience but it’s not anywhere close to a top 10 stadium.

I'm not sure why this garbage is even thread-worthy, giving attention to a ridiculous piece in a rag that has always been a joke designed for low information people with no attention span. This quote pretty much sums it up - what credible publication assigns someone who hasn't even been to most of the stadiums to compile a list like this?

The L.A. Coliseum is one of the few stadiums on this list that I have actually been to........

VN Store

Back