NFL 16-17 MVP Race

Neither team asked their QB to throw downfield much at all. Dallas has started to open it up some but it's still a lot of play action and rollouts. You also don't have to necessarily run a lot for your running ability to affect a defense. He's good but he's not a top-10 NFL QB as a rookie

Yet he's 3rd in the NFL in YPA...

He's on pace for over 4,000 yards (something only 2 other rookies QBs have done) passing and 25 TDs (1 less that the record).

He only has 31 rushing attempts.

I get it Zeke has been impressive, but so has Dak (more so IMO). It's also quite a bit easier for a RB than a QB in the NFL as a rookie.

I can see Dak as offensive rookie of the year, and I can see Elliot as either MVP or most likely offensive player of the year depending on how Matt Ryan and Tom Brady finish the year.All it takes is one 64 yards of rushing game with no touchdowns and a Cowboys Loss and a 330+ yards passing and 3 touchdown game from one of those quarterbacks to change everyone's MVP vote. For that week at least.

The real comparison for Zeke should be Demarco Murray, I suppose. DM's Cowboys were 12-4 and he finished 3rd in MVP voting.

Zeke's pace:
2,231 yards, 18 TDs, 5.1 YPC, 13.9 YPR

DM's stats:
2,261 yards, 13 TDs, 4.7 YPC, 7.3 YPR

I'd say if he keeps it up he has a very good chance.

Yet he's 3rd in the NFL in YPA...

He's on pace for over 4,000 yards (something only 2 other rookies QBs have done) passing and 25 TDs (1 less that the record).

He only has 31 rushing attempts.

I get it Zeke has been impressive, but so has Dak (more so IMO). It's also quite a bit easier for a RB than a QB in the NFL as a rookie.

QB play is more than stats.

Having the league's best OL and run game, running the ball significantly more than anyone else does, doing a lot of play-action off of that elite run game, and incorporating a lot of rollouts where the QB only has to read one side of the field (a la Crompton) are all things that make a QB's life much easier. Minus the last part, this is the same situation that had people gushing over Romo 2 years ago without stopping to think about how Dallas improved immensely by changing the focus of its offense FROM Romo to the run game.

He's had a great start, but when he's asked to do more, he will make more mistakes. (And people will be shocked, and ask if he magically got worse, like they do with everyone else.)

QB play is more than stats.

Having the league's best OL and run game, running the ball significantly more than anyone else does, doing a lot of play-action off of that elite run game, and incorporating a lot of rollouts where the QB only has to read one side of the field (a la Crompton) are all things that make a QB's life much easier. Minus the last part, this is the same situation that had people gushing over Romo 2 years ago without stopping to think about how Dallas improved immensely by changing the focus of its offense FROM Romo to the run game.

He's had a great start, but when he's asked to do more, he will make more mistakes. (And people will be shocked, and ask if he magically got worse, like they do with everyone else.)

Again, he's already made a few 4th quarter game winning drives (Zeke had the last one).

Again, he's already made a few 4th quarter game winning drives (Zeke had the last one).

He has, which I agree is fantastic for a rookie. I just don't think that makes him MVP-worthy (yet) given what I said above. There are other QBs around the league who have had to carry their offenses throughout the game AND win the game in crunch time.

Stafford is one example. He wouldn't be my MVP though

I think we all agree Dak has a lot of talent around him, but the guy is definitely making moves too.

He's very good. He's not elite yet

I think we're jumping the gun claiming anything about Dak. He's only played 10 games. It's possible he never plays this well again and he's really just an above average QB, but his play has totally been elite, up to this point.

One thing about him that you like to see is he's made big improvements every year for the last 4 years.

58.4% completions, 1.4:1 TD/INT
61.6% completions, 2.5:1 TD/INT
66.2% completions, 5.8:1 TD/INT
66.8% completions, 7.0:1 TD/INT

Man, I'm sure the Cowboys win had nothing to do with Dak's 301 yds and 3 TDs...

This is going to be an interesting MVP race for 16-17. At first, I was like no way a player like Tom Brady deserves even being considered because he was suspended the 1st 4 games & only will have 12 games on his resume.

Now, I'm leaning towards maybe that don't matter. If he puts up numbers comparable or better than all other QB's then I don't think it should matter.

However, right now, there are quite a few potential players for MVP this year. We even have rookies that are in the race. I don't even know who the favorite is right now there's so many players with really good stats on really good teams.

I really think it could be as many as 8-10 different players that could win the MVP including Brady in there too. I think I have 2 Cowboys of mine that could be in there in Prescott & Elliott as well. It's just hard to tell right now & this will go all the way down the very end of the season. Thanks.

There's not 8-10 players that can win the MVP. It's about 5 max (with a realistic chance to win).

There's not 8-10 players that can win the MVP. It's about 5 max (with a realistic chance to win).

Right now, there are 8-10 players with a chance or factor in winning the MVP. Of course, 8-10 can't win the MVP Yankee Ony one can! When do you think I was born yesterday? :p:wink:

I could name you 8 players right now that are being considered for NFL MVP. Maybe even 10 without taking too long but it's nighty nite time.

I might do this tomorrow for you though Yankee to show it's real & there are actually that many players that are playing well enough to win it.

I wish he'd stick to just the FF.

What does FF mean here Yankee? I'm a little lost on this one I'll admit. Thanks buddy. BTW, if you still want me to name 8 possible MVP's for 2016 then please tell me & let me know so I can post them for you. :wink:

What does FF mean here Yankee? I'm a little lost on this one I'll admit. Thanks buddy. BTW, if you still want me to name 8 possible MVP's for 2016 then please tell me & let me know so I can post them for you. :wink:

Dude just name them

Flashback Friday

Not Black Friday? I'm not going to name my 8 players for MVP if not enough members care to know. That's a waste of my time.

If Yankee wants me to post them then I might consider because he was the original one questioning me anyhow. Thanks

VN Store

Back