NFL 16-17 MVP Race

Not to mention Elliot and And Dak looked pretty average last week against the Vikings.

They both are playing great, but I just don't see either of them as deserving to win an MVP award.

Tom Brady's quarterback rating has dipped a bit as well and only barely surpasses Matt Ryan for the #1 quarterback rating in th NFL. Considering his numbers aren't as staggering as before, I don't think it should be enough to overcome the fact that he missed the first four games of the season.

If Matt Ryan doesn't throw those interceptions to Eric Berry, I think due to stats and quarterback rating alone he would be the MVP favorite simply by the competition taking a step back.

But it seems that everyone has taken a step this past week. So it will be interesting to see what happens these next few weeks.

Carr is playing with a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand and it showed in his lack of accuracy. If he can bounce back, MVP voters would definitely forgive this performance.

105 yards and a TD is not average. Only a few players finish a season with 1680 and 16, counting all skill positions.

And that was a stout Vikings defense with a healthy Harrison Smith. Some big runs by Zeke negated by petty holding calls. And that was an average performance by Dak...where he converted a key 3rd and 13 by pure will. It's going to be between Zeke and Dak.

The Cowboys OL should be the MVP. Just like it should have been in 1995.

Same line (minus Collins) that blocked for last year's 4 win team. Why couldn't that 95 line make anyone other than Emmitt Smith great? Derrick Lassic and Sherman Williams?

My top 3 would be Zeke, Ryan and Stafford. Carr won't win it if they're a Wild Card team (nor should he at this point) and Dak shouldn't either.

Same line (minus Collins) that blocked for last year's 4 win team. Why couldn't that 95 line make anyone other than Emmitt Smith great? Derrick Lassic and Sherman Williams?

Let's remember that they did not have a starting quarterback for most of the season last year. They actually looked like a very good team until Romo and Bryant got injured last year.

Past running back MVPs in the last 20 years....

Adrian Peterson 2012:
2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
12 rushing touchdowns
40 catches
217 yards receiving
1 receiving touchdown
2314 total yards
13 total touchdowns

Ladanian Tomlinson 2006:
1815 rushing yards
5.2 yards per carry
28 rushing touchdowns
56 catches
508 yards receiving
3 receiving touchdowns
2323 total yards
31 total touchdowns

Shaun Alexander 2005:
1880 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
27 rushing touchdowns
15 catches
78 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdown
1958 total yards
28 total touchdowns

Marshall Faulk 2000:
*in only 14 games
1359 rushing yards
5.4 yards per carry
18 rushing touchdowns
81 catches
830 yards
8 receiving touchdowns
2189 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Terrell Davis 1998:
2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per attempt
21 touchdowns
25 catches
217 receiving yards
2 receiving touchdowns
2225 total yards
23 total touchdowns

Compared to Ezekiel Elliot's projected stats by the end of the year....

2016 Ezekiel Elliot (Projected):
1713 yards
4.9 yards an attempt
16 rushing touchdowns
37 catches
429 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdowns
2142 total yards
17 total touchdowns

These are not bad projected stats by Elliot, but clearly he would be the worst running back to win the MVP in the last 20 years. He ranks near the bottom of this list in total touchdowns and total yardage, and he is dead last in yards per carry. Not to mention he is currently first among all running backs in fumbles.

I think he's a great player, but I think there are more deserving MVP candidates out there.

Running back has evolved. Comparing stats to past winners isn't entirely valid. For example, Manning and Brady threw 50+ TDs and not sure anybody will even get 40 this year.

It's a race against 2016 players.

Carr is playing with a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand and it showed in his lack of accuracy. If he can bounce back, MVP voters would definitely forgive this performance.

He was fine on Sunday. Not sure he can blame it on just the finger

Let's remember that they did not have a starting quarterback for most of the season last year. They actually looked like a very good team until Romo and Bryant got injured last year.

Romo basically doesn't have a collar bone anymore. He wouldn't have played until the sixth or seventh game with that hurt back...the OL didn't make his backups and other emergency signings worth a Dak last year...that was more my point. They got McFadden a 1000 yard season last season...couldn't make him Zeke. Great OL still needs great players to be Super Bowl and MVP level.

Past running back MVPs in the last 20 years....

Adrian Peterson 2012:
2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
12 rushing touchdowns
40 catches
217 yards receiving
1 receiving touchdown
2314 total yards
13 total touchdowns

Ladanian Tomlinson 2006:
1815 rushing yards
5.2 yards per carry
28 rushing touchdowns
56 catches
508 yards receiving
3 receiving touchdowns
2323 total yards
31 total touchdowns

Shaun Alexander 2005:
1880 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
27 rushing touchdowns
15 catches
78 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdown
1958 total yards
28 total touchdowns

Marshall Faulk 2000:
*in only 14 games
1359 rushing yards
5.4 yards per carry
18 rushing touchdowns
81 catches
830 yards
8 receiving touchdowns
2189 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Terrell Davis 1998:
2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per attempt
21 touchdowns
25 catches
217 receiving yards
2 receiving touchdowns
2225 total yards
23 total touchdowns

Compared to Ezekiel Elliot's projected stats by the end of the year....

2016 Ezekiel Elliot (Projected):
1713 yards
4.9 yards an attempt
16 rushing touchdowns
37 catches
429 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdowns
2142 total yards
17 total touchdowns

These are not bad projected stats by Elliot, but clearly he would be the worst running back to win the MVP in the last 20 years. He ranks near the bottom of this list in total touchdowns and total yardage, and he is dead last in yards per carry. Not to mention he is currently first among all running backs in fumbles.

I think he's a great player, but I think there are more deserving MVP candidates out there.

You put Shaun Alexander's MVP numbers out there and just skim by them. Zeke's PROJECTED numbers are better. He could still do better or worse with the Cowboys getting close to clinching every advantage. I think he's the best candidate but I could understand his teammate getting the nod. This league does tend to get nostalgic, so Brady will most likely finish just above those 2.

Zeke is a great player, even though he has a great line as well. He's one of the 5 best RBs in the NFL, easily IMO

Best line in the NFL but can't average 5.0 ypc?

*just noting that the previous MVP RBs did

Best line in the NFL but can't average 5.0 ypc?

*just noting that the previous MVP RBs did

This isn't a record breaking year. Whoever wins the thing isn't going to have a landmark year...stats wise.

You put Shaun Alexander's MVP numbers out there and just skim by them. Zeke's PROJECTED numbers are better. He could still do better or worse with the Cowboys getting close to clinching every advantage. I think he's the best candidate but I could understand his teammate getting the nod. This league does tend to get nostalgic, so Brady will most likely finish just above those 2.

How are Shaun alexanders numbers not better than zekes projected numbers?

Look at the touchdown difference.

I remember Alexander getting a lot of the 1 yard variety. See Zeke's last one against Pittsburgh...more impactful. Alexander was basically done after that season...Zeke will get even better. More impressed by potential total yards myself.

I remember Alexander getting a lot of the 1 yard variety. See Zeke's last one against Pittsburgh...more impactful. Alexander was basically done after that season...Zeke will get even better. More impressed by potential total yards myself.

Setting the NFL record for touchdowns in a season still helps one's MVP case tremendously. I agree that Zeke will probably be a better player though

Well Shaun did average more yards per carry so far than Elliot. Well I personally think an 11 touchdown differential is more impactful than 200 yards.

VN Store

Back