Nice win but the defense is still not good...

armchair

Western Kentucky rang up 400 yards of offense, including 200 running the ball. Is that good defense? SEC QBs are not going to help us with 5 INTs.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the point of this offense is the "bend but don't break" mentality. Sure, they ran up yards but our red-zone defense was tough as nails. They came away with 6 on what, 2/6 attempts, with 2 interceptions. That said, our D-backs gave a lot of space today too that I think can be improved.

Reactions: 4 people
Gotta say I agree with you. They may have done superb in causing turnovers but they were rubber bands ready to snap in every other facet. I was very surprised since this WKU team is nowhere near as fast and physical as the SEC teams we'll face soon.

Our defenders still took bad angles at times and poor tackling. I really liked that Jones actually made some adjustments though and that tells me that he and this staff aren't clowns like their predecessors. Long way to go before we hit the 8&9 win mark, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Time of possession was huge in the first half. Defense was on the field for 20 minutes. They got gassed and things broke down a little. A lot more concerned over the QB situation and the offense.

Reactions: 14 people
I think the point of this offense is the "bend but don't break" mentality. Sure, they ran up yards but our red-zone defense was tough as nails. They came away with 6 on what, 2/6 attempts, with 2 interceptions. That said, our D-backs gave a lot of space today too that I think can be improved.

At one point the commentator stated that WKU had converted 7/10 3rd downs whereas last week against KENSUCKY they were like idk 2/7 or 3/9. Something not even comparable. Our 3rd down D is still really really bad, I put that on our secondary. Just like last year, the question I'll be asking myself on 3rd downs is "are we gonna give up a first, or 7 pts"

The one int came on a drive when WKU had it 2nd and goal inside the 1! The QB took a sack at the 5 then made a boneheaded throw. Not sure why WKU didn't run it on 2nd down.

Kind of reminds you of Georgia's defense from a few years ago. Hmmmmm, I wonder why?

Time of possession was huge in the first half. Defense was on the field for 20 minutes. They got gassed and things broke down a little. A lot more concerned over the QB situation and the offense.

I'm sure this played a role.

Reactions: 1 person
Well when you have a D on the field for 3/4 of the game I would think they were a little tired dont ya think?

We forced 7 turnovers and people are saying our D isn't good.... Seriously?!?! Guess we should try going back to last years defense.

Everyone whining all week on how WKU may beat us. We win 52-20 with 7 turnovers forced and fans still want to criticize the team. Makes me sick

Reactions: 28 people
At one point the commentator stated that WKU had converted 7/10 3rd downs whereas last week against KENSUCKY they were like idk 2/7 or 3/9. Something not even comparable. Our 3rd down D is still really really bad, I put that on our secondary. Just like last year, the question I'll be asking myself on 3rd downs is "are we gonna give up a first, or 7 pts"

Gotta say I agree with you on this...The 3rd & long conversions were annoying and definitely shouldn't have been happening.

Actually defense looks much improved. I don't care of they had 400 yards only 20 points and all those turn overs. More and makes up for it

We forced 7 turnovers and people are saying our D isn't good.... Seriously?!?! Guess we should try going back to last years defense.

Everyone whining all week on how WKU may beat us. We win 52-20 with 7 turnovers forced and fans still want to criticize the team. Makes me sick

Agreed. Bunch of whiners.

Reactions: 8 people
Petrino's teams will put up yards and points against a lot of teams and his playbook is ridiculous. He's adept at creating mismatches.
Our d has a ways to go, and that goes for the DC as well.
-Can't leave AJ alone on a slot receiver in man coverage
-can't make him play deep safety on a 3rd and 14 and have him meet the wr at the first down marker
-can't drop Miller into coverage against a slot on a 3rd down zone blitz

I feel slightly better about the "D" than preseason.

- No Home Run Plays or Total Breakdowns
- No Penalties

This essentially requires the offense to methodically move down the field and potentially make their own mistakes.

CBs and outside pressure concern me but look much better than last year. WKU would have put up 45 on last years D.

Reactions: 3 people
I feel like the defense is improved a lot since last year but something I've noticed that is still seems to plague us. We have a rough time stopping 3rd down conversions and big gains.

For Oregon, I'm more concerned about the running game and their mobile quarterback. If we can stop them from getting into open space and big gains, we might can stick with them.

I agree! I think we have some of the dumbest fans they are!! All this negative crap makes me mad too!

Oh and our pass rush is mediocre. I just wish we had the speed to get back there and wreak havoc

This was a huge part of it. Notice the defense only gave 3 points in the second half when the offense was pulling their weight.

Western Kentucky rang up 400 yards of offense, including 200 running the ball. Is that good defense? SEC QBs are not going to help us with 5 INTs.

I suspect you are correct. Now, four may not be out of the question (that 1996 game vs. UF still haunts me).

VN Store

Back