Nico Fever, Fulmer Too?

“I think we are going to see his play go to an even higher level, which is a scary thing to think about because just his natural ability to step on a football field and go play well is elite,” Halzle said earlier in fall camp. “Now, he’s got to go do it with live bullets for 17 straight games this year, but we’re really excited about where he’s at mentally in this process.”

get-it-thoughts.gif

Looks like he will have some serious help in moving the chains and violating the goal line as well. As we get closer to season start, we seem to almost reek of being a dangerous team.
Source:

He's responsible for the "good ole days" i say he's done alot for the university. Could have he done some things differently? Sure! But a coaching record of 152-52 speaks for itself.
Yea, I've got a couple Bama friends that whenever they start talking $hit about Fulmer, I mention his 11-5 record against the tree-killers, tea-baggers and they shut the hell up........

He's responsible for the "good ole days" i say he's done alot for the university. Could have he done some things differently? Sure! But a coaching record of 152-52 speaks for itself.

He was a great recruiter and a good coach. It’s what has transpired since his retirement that I have issue with. He certainly got all he could financially.

He was a great recruiter and a good coach. It’s what has transpired since his retirement that I have issue with. He certainly got all he could financially.
Since he didn’t really retire of his own accord I can understand him wanting to get his on the back side of his career. The decisions made at that time were directly responsible for the drought we suffered for the next 20+ years.

He was a great recruiter, an ok coach, and loved the University. A true VFL that should have been replaced as HC earlier than he was, and never allowed to be AD.

I respect him and thank him for his Championships and the run in the 90’s, but the cold light of hindsight proves he excelled against lesser competition, benefitted from a weaker SEC, and was reliant on great talent and a stellar supporting cast. When any of those variables changed, his record suffered. As the TV money started to pour in and the SEC coaching arms race heated up, the game moved beyond him.

I respect him and thank him for his Championships and the run in the 90’s, but the cold light of hindsight proves he excelled against lesser competition, benefitted from a weaker SEC, and was reliant on great talent and a stellar supporting cast. When any of those variables changed, his record suffered. As the TV money started to pour in and the SEC coaching arms race heated up, the game moved beyond him.
Interesting take. I suppose that makes us re-evaluate Spurrier, who coached in the same era, and could arguably have the same said about him.

Or, Urban Meyer, who coached when Tn and Uga were not at the top of their game and Saban hadn’t yet become Saban.

I prefer think championship coaches always have great talent whose competition is lesser than they. Very few championship teams do it with an unmarried record, does that make the less? I don’t think so.

Very few coaches had the sustained excellence Fulmer had at Tn. The manner in which his departure was handled, and the ineptitude of those who followed him led to decades of irrelevance, which is evidence of how well Fulmer performed while here.

I am glad we sent to be on a trajectory of future sustained excellence that may rival the 90’s, rather than having to reflect on our glory days past.

Interesting take. I suppose that makes us re-evaluate Spurrier, who coached in the same era, and could arguably have the same said about him.

Or, Urban Meyer, who coached when Tn and Uga were not at the top of their game and Saban hadn’t yet become Saban.

I prefer think championship coaches always have great talent whose competition is lesser than they. Very few championship teams do it with an unmarried record, does that make the less? I don’t think so.

Very few coaches had the sustained excellence Fulmer had at Tn. The manner in which his departure was handled, and the ineptitude of those who followed him led to decades of irrelevance, which is evidence of how well Fulmer performed while here.

I am glad we sent to be on a trajectory of future sustained excellence that may rival the 90’s, rather than having to reflect on our glory days past.
Well said. Some folks can't appreciate what's appreciable. Some folks have a despise gene that lies dormant, but rushes forth at the slightest stimuli to do so.

“I think we are going to see his play go to an even higher level, which is a scary thing to think about because just his natural ability to step on a football field and go play well is elite,” Halzle said earlier in fall camp. “Now, he’s got to go do it with live bullets for 17 straight games this year, but we’re really excited about where he’s at mentally in this process.”

get-it-thoughts.gif
Bowl game, 12 regular season SECC, and 3 playoff games would be 17. So must include the Iowa bowl game

Cutcliffe deserves some of that credit too, especially as far as Peyton is concerned. But yeah, those were indeed Halcyon days.

Reactions: VOLumeS

VN Store

Back