Nico Question, Pardon My Ignorance

madbamahater

I know Nico Magic redshirted this past season, so he still has 4 to play.

Is he eligible to go pro during his 3rd year of college, or does he have to use 3 seasons of football eligibility?

So, can he go pro as a redshirt sophomore or must he stay?

Reactions: Volanta

Is he eligible to go pro during his 3rd year of college, or does he have to use 3 seasons of football eligibility?

he can after R/SO season. rule is 3 years out of high school

That is why I wanted him to play this year, I think we would have won one more game had he played all year. And would also be ready to really shine this coming year.
It's all a crap shoot man. Nico could have played well and won games or struggled and killed his confidence. We have to trust the coaches

It's all a crap shoot man. Nico could have played well and won games or struggled and killed his confidence. We have to trust the coaches
That and we had a lot of Problems on offense last year except for our running game and we still didn't have a short-yardage run game.

Reactions: wmcovol

Going Pro might be the last thing on athletes minds nowadays, being that many are making millions from NIL. Did you hear that Caitlin Clark is getting nearly a million from NIL and the WNBA won't be able to come near that number? Heck, stay in college

Going Pro might be the last thing on athletes minds nowadays, being that many are making millions from NIL. Did you hear that Caitlin Clark is getting nearly a million from NIL and the WNBA won't be able to come near that number? Heck, stay in college

depends if in first round of NFL draft.. 2023 money was

First-rounders are projected to sign deals ranging from as high as $41 million to as low as $12 million this year, according to Spotrac. All first-round picks will sign four-year deals with guaranteed signing bonuses, and teams can extend their contracts for a fifth year. NIL don't pay close to that for any college player, yet.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog

3 years after you leave high school. Just like D1 baseball.

They aren't really making millions......

Nico wasn't ready to play SEC football, mentally or physically, until late in the season. I think he progresses during the bowl preparation and gained a lot of confidence during the last half of the season. I think the coaches did an outstanding job in preparing him for his future.

There are reputable sources out there that have said he was pretty garbage in camp and through the first half of the season. Heupel has been pulling all of the right strings in his tenure so far, no reason to doubt his judgement with this one.

NIL $ not touching First or Second round draft pick $ and the endorsement deals you can get.
WNBA should've closed shop years ago. NBA must be getting a huge write off or something for it.
Women sports it probably is best to stay. Men if you're early rounds, you go Pro

depends if in first round of NFL draft.. 2023 money was

First-rounders are projected to sign deals ranging from as high as $41 million to as low as $12 million this year, according to Spotrac. All first-round picks will sign four-year deals with guaranteed signing bonuses, and teams can extend their contracts for a fifth year. NIL don't pay close to that for any college player, yet.
Guess I should've kept reading before posting haha.

Reactions: spacificislander
There are reputable sources out there that have said he was pretty garbage in camp and through the first half of the season. Heupel has been pulling all of the right strings in his tenure so far, no reason to doubt his judgement with this one.

I'm not sure I would label it garbage. A freshman learning a college system is a still a freshman and seeing things he never experienced in high school.

Lots of people just don't understand how big the transition is from high school to college. The speed of practice goes up over 50% and the speed of the game is up over 75%... The systems are so much more complicated and just the number of plays with options off those plays is a ton more. Learning how to film study at the college level is a new experience in most cases and even those that have studied film see it in a different way.

Talking with Jim Bob Cooter when he was a GA at Tennessee and after a game he would spend Saturday nights cutting up film for Cutcliffe and the QBs to have ready on Sunday. You don't get that in high school, if you even get film.

Dante Moore at UCLA learned how fast things are this year when he tried to start. They had to end up benching him and now he has transferred to Boise St. Is his career derailed? that is TBD.

This is not directed at you Sal, just a general comment on freshman QBs.

I am 100% positive that coaches always play the guy that will give them the best chance to win. I'm sure Nico will be amazing as he grows into his role but it was a tall ask to have him come in as a freshman and beat out a 5th year senior who's already been in the system and as physically big as Milton.

Even if coach THOUGHT that Nico was the technically better QB, but he didn't have much faith in the rest of the team to help him be the better QB then you bench him and wait.

That might be the case for some athletes, but definitely not high profile QBs. If he's good enough to go top 5 he's looking at a 40 million dollar contract.

That might be the case for some athletes, but definitely not high profile QBs. If he's good enough to go top 5 he's looking at a 40 million dollar contract.
Yeah NIL money ain't nothing to these kids compared to making it to The League. And if you're not projected to be a top draft pick you're probably also not making much NIL money.

Nico family wanted him to redshirt if possible. Heupel told him he would if he could. You don’t go back on your word in recruiting today.

Reactions: arkivol
Nico family wanted him to redshirt if possible. Heupel told him he would if he could. You don’t go back on your word in recruiting today.
That makes a lot of sense. The parents want to minimize his college exposure (ie minimize his chances of serious injury) and also preserve his "hype" train for as long as possible to improve chances of getting to the NFL.

In fairness the WNBA and NFL are completely different pay grades.

A FB player making a mil in NIL his 3rd year out of highschool is probably worth 10x that in the NFL. Probably projected as in the top 3 rounds. Even 6th rounders get 3-4 million dollar contracts plus signing bonus.

VN Store

Back