Nico to start the bowl game? Confirmed

I'm also concerned with the WR group he'll be throwing to on Monday. They haven't been able to get much separation all season, so even if he plays well he still needs guys to get open and catch the ball. I'm hopeful that he's more mobile than Milton but I'm not expecting more than 200 passing yards, at least not against that defense.
It's the same WR group Joe has had to work with.

Nico in his first start vs an Iowa defense that has ZERO opt outs. Yeah , I see Iowa winning a close one . Our turnovers and inability to score TDs on them will be the difference.
Iowa 10
Tenn. 9

Nico in his first start vs an Iowa defense that has ZERO opt outs. Yeah , I see Iowa winning a close one . Our turnovers and inability to score TDs on them will be the difference.
Iowa 10
Tenn. 9
A 10-9 game in today's explosive style offenses would suck...bigly.

That’s funny how coaches get tricked by fantastic QBs in practice, I seem to recall a lot of people talking about how Tee Martin was awful in practice, and sometimes didn’t even show up 😂 but the lights cane on for the game, and he was in the zone.. some people just operate like that.. and vice versa
Yep. I think since practice is controlled and they know the outcome, they are mentally more relaxed and make better decisions. Others, hyper-focus and thrive under the pressure of a game.

Am I just a jerk, or has anyone else thought about this? We talk about Joe mentoring Nico and how helpful it is for him to be there. The guy has such a low football iq that I can’t see it being beneficial beyond a morale boost. Can’t make reads, can’t play the up tempo offense, runs out of bounds on downs where he shouldn’t. Just don’t see much “teaching” that could come from him.
I'm not convinced that Joe's problem is with knowledge and reads, as much as it may be with not thinking and acting quickly enough.

I'm not convinced that Joe's problem is with knowledge and reads, as much as it may be with not thinking and acting quickly enough.
It was obvious to me that Joe never fit with Heupel’s offense. As you said, he just couldn’t make the quick reads like Hooker could and got by most of the time on raw talent. Word is that Nico fits it very well with his skill set. A new chapter begins on Monday.

Reactions: Remy
If nico balls out all of this forum will say 2nd coming of manning, if nico throws 82 yds on 8 of 32 volnation will say aj suggs, or fire hazle, haezle, howeveru spell it

I think it is just too soon to make any assessments like that. Heup has been successful with McKenzie Milton, Dillon Gabriel, Drew Lock, and then Hooker. Joe wasn't unsuccessful, but Joe didn't have the level of receivers and OL that Hook had either. Hook had 2 NFL OLs protecting him and 2 NFL WRs to throw to. Milton had a lot of balls dropped this year that would have padded his stats big time.

Joe's biggest fault was that he followed Hendon. Had he followed JG for the whole season, and we never knew Hendon was so good, he still would have been a major improvement.
Not sure you can say Joe followed Hendon, because we all remember Joe playing first before he got hurt., missing wide open receivers multiple times in the Pitt game. When Joe resumed the starting job, he was a little better than before, but not that much. The majority of Joe's incompletions ---from my perspective---was he fired the ball like a rocket when a softer pass would have been caught. Often he would throw behind, or just lacked the skill to throw it down field where the receiver could run under it

Nico, is going to need all the help he can get. You have a freshman going up against one of the best defenses in America. Not too sure if this is best. One thing for sure, we will find out what we have one way or another.
Bump, I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have :)

It's funny. Heupel stuck with Milton all year even though his performance was very lacking. Milton didn't repay that favor and opts out of the bowl game. Speaks volumes IMO.
You may be reading the tea leaves all wrong.

I think the only certain thing we can say about Joe's decision to sit this one out is that he made it after talking with his family, his coaches, and perhaps an agent or agent-like advisor after getting an NFL draft score from the league.

I don't think loyalty is the issue here. I think it's more a case of (a) Joe preparing for his future, and (b) Josh Heupel preparing our team for its future.

In other words, I would bet this was a mutually-agreed decision by Joe.

Go Vols!

Iowa 10
Tenn. 9
You still see that? Heh.

This game is going to be like watching paint dry.
I had a blast watching it, how about you?

Go Vols!

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
You still see that? Heh.

I had a blast watching it, how about you?

Go Vols!
Was very happy actually . You never know how these games play out. I’m sure all the SEC butt pumpers assumed Ala would roll Michigan but that’s why they play the game. Coach Heupel had a great game plan and it worked. I thought Texas was the best team but Washington proved me wrong. As long as Ga, Ala, LSU, Fla, Auburn, Texas A&M are not hoisting the trophy at the end then all is good in college football.

You may be reading the tea leaves all wrong.

I think the only certain thing we can say about Joe's decision to sit this one out is that he made it after talking with his family, his coaches, and perhaps an agent or agent-like advisor after getting an NFL draft score from the league.

I don't think loyalty is the issue here. I think it's more a case of (a) Joe preparing for his future, and (b) Josh Heupel preparing our team for its future.

In other words, I would bet this was a mutually-agreed decision by Joe.

Go Vols!
I understand fully. His best option was to sit IF he has a chance at getting drafted (he doesn't). A bad performance would have derailed any chance and a good performance wouldn't have helped much. It was a smart decision. Fact is he didn't' play well and the coaches didn't trust his ability. Thats why you saw 300% more bubble screens this year. That's the only thing he did well consistently and the they stuck with his mediocre play all year, never once did the hint at making a change. He could have played if he wanted to, he didn't.

VN Store

Back