Nico to start the bowl game? Confirmed

Nico will be a Heisman contender before Merk even takes a snap.
Merk...okay, we can work with that. If he's got a good arm, I'm going with "Merk-slinger". How strong of a kid is he? Can we go with "Merkules"? Yep, we already got a quarterback controversy.

He's probably not a starter. But he's huge, has an absolute cannon and runs probably 4.4. He'll be on a roster, even if it's just a few years.
I didn’t think Anthony Richardson was NFL material but he signed a multimillion dollar deal…hope Joe gets some money. He came to UT when we were a dumpster fire…

I've got to believe that Heupel has been hyperfocused on every movement and decision Nico makes this week. Heupel needs Nico to prove he's as good as advertised and confirm that Heupel is the true QB guru. Heupel got the absolute best out of Hooker and possibly Milton. If Nico lights it up, the story tells itself.
My concern is letting Hazel call too many screens and other WTC plays.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It's funny. Heupel stuck with Milton all year even though his performance was very lacking. Milton didn't repay that favor and opts out of the bowl game. Speaks volumes IMO.
I think you're creating the narrative you want to believe. Maybe Heup asked Joe to opt out of the game so Nico could get experience going into next year. I highly doubt that our coaches or remaining players feel like Joe is letting them down in any way.

I hear you, but this Nico obsession is not because he’s the 2nd string guy. He is one of the top QBs in the country that has been on the bench.
So what? Arch Manning, one of the highest rated players ever is on the bench and likely will be this year as well.

I've got to believe that Heupel has been hyperfocused on every movement and decision Nico makes this week. Heupel needs Nico to prove he's as good as advertised and confirm that Heupel is the true QB guru. Heupel got the absolute best out of Hooker and possibly Milton. If Nico lights it up, the story tells itself.
My concern is letting Hazel call too many screens and other WTC plays.

Heupel didn't even start Hooker--he started Milton. So I'm not quite buying the Huepel as QB guru narrative. He got his first big decision wrong. I'm not negative on Heup, but I'd rate Kiffin as a better offensive/QB coach. At the end of the day Hooker was just a good player. I don't know if Heup got the best out of Milton, either--as Heup seemed pretty frustrated at tiimes with Milton and the offense.

Reactions: volfeeva and Remy
Heupel didn't even start Hooker--he started Milton. So I'm not quite buying the Huepel as QB guru narrative. He got his first big decision wrong. I'm not negative on Heup, but I'd rate Kiffin as a better offensive/QB coach. At the end of the day Hooker was just a good player. I don't know if Heup got the best out of Milton, either--as Heup seemed pretty frustrated at tiimes with Milton and the offense.
I think it is just too soon to make any assessments like that. Heup has been successful with McKenzie Milton, Dillon Gabriel, Drew Lock, and then Hooker. Joe wasn't unsuccessful, but Joe didn't have the level of receivers and OL that Hook had either. Hook had 2 NFL OLs protecting him and 2 NFL WRs to throw to. Milton had a lot of balls dropped this year that would have padded his stats big time.

Joe's biggest fault was that he followed Hendon. Had he followed JG for the whole season, and we never knew Hendon was so good, he still would have been a major improvement.

It's funny. Heupel stuck with Milton all year even though his performance was very lacking. Milton didn't repay that favor and opts out of the bowl game. Speaks volumes IMO.
It’s likely that Heupel told him he wanted to feature Nico. Which led to him opting out for better optics. Or encouraged him to opt out.

Milton traveled with the team and is helping Nico just like Hendon did. Yeah that speaks volumes.
Nico, is going to need all the help he can get. You have a freshman going up against one of the best defenses in America. Not too sure if this is best. One thing for sure, we will find out what we have one way or another.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
So much egg on faces and crow along with humble pie should be eaten between the first postings in this thread and developments we now have confirmed with Nico stating. I'm good with it frankly.

Reactions: OrangeRaid Vol #1
Nico, is going to need all the help he can get. You have a freshman going up against one of the best defenses in America. Not too sure if this is best. One thing for sure, we will find out what we have one way or another.
Agreed. Nico has a very daunting task ahead of him.

Offensively Heupel >Kiffin. That’s proven. So you say Hooker was just a good player. Do you think Hooker comes even remotely close to what he became under Pruitts staff?

Agreed. Nico has a very daunting task ahead of him.
I am just hoping he shows some instincts that can be honed into consistent quick reactions to what he sees. Not sure those are learned. Sometimes that ends in fitting the ball into tight windows, and sometimes to legally dump it off to fight another day or safely pull it down annd get a couple. Indecision or longer processing time is not your friend. Hope he has watched a lot of HH film. I have seen nothing in his limited body of work to concern me. Time, beyond this bowl game will tell the tale.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I am just hoping he shows some instincts that can be honed into consistent quick reactions to what he sees. Not sure those are learned. Sometimes that ends in fitting the ball into tight windows, and sometimes to legally dump it off to fight another day or safely pull it down annd get a couple. Indecision or longer processing time is not your friend. Hope he has watched a lot of HH film. I have seen nothing in his limited body of work to concern me. Time, beyond this bowl game will tell the tale.
I just hope they get the run game going early. That is the best way to protect a young QB.

No matter the outcome you get Nico and his game on film vs. Iowa. I just hope they don't call a somewhat conservative game - let him play his game win or lose. Use his film to improve for next season. A real game vs. a real opponent instead of next year's spring game. I believe it is a great opportunity for Nico for next season. Thanks Joe.

Last edited by a moderator:

VN Store

Back