Nico's comparison to other qb's

You don't go 10-2 in year 2 with a team of ashes. This past year could have been 10-2 with a better QB. We were 8-4 with a headcase that could barely run the offense, for goodness sake. Make all the excuses you want, but plateauing at 8 wins in year 3 onward (if Nico in fact ain't the guy) takes the wind out of the sails and it's all over but the crying.
Pruitt cratered this team. That’s just the truth. What Heupel did with the 2022 team was insane. Especially when you factor in his field general was a guy that Justin Fuente told to kick rocks, and anyone who knows anything about tech football knows Fuente is a bum. I think the 2024 vols have potential all over the place. I’m not saying they’re still a shell of themselves, but Heup might be able to work another miracle next year because there are pieces that could lead to magic.

Reactions: coachchia
Nope, not ashes. Went 10-2 and could have very easily went 10-2 again this year with a better QB that could actually run the system with competency. But went 8-4, and if we go 8-4 again in 2024, 2025 has got to be a big year. If not, the wind is completely out of the sails. If that happens, it's all over but the crying for Huepel. Note that if Nico isn't the real deal, 2025 being a big year is all the harder to pull of. Hence my point throughout.
Not ashes? 30+ players left after 2020. We imposed our own sanctions of 12 scholarships in 2021 and 6 in 2022, as I recall.

What the hell would ashes be to you?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not ashes? 30+ players left after 2020. We imposed our own sanctions of 12 scholarships in 2021 and 6 in 2022, as I recall.

What the hell would ashes be to you?
You don't go 10-2 with ashes. Period. Key pieces were in place in Huepel's second year on offense that made us absolutely primed to win shootouts with Huepel still new on the SEC scene scheme. Ashes doesn't include Heisman potential QBs, numerous quality WRs (including the best WR in the nation that year), multiple solid RBs, a top tier OT anchoring the line.

The reality of Deion Sanders is that he is a promoter, of himself. He always has been and always will be.
Deion is realizing that promoting his boys and getting and coaching up blue chip NFL prospects is good for his brand.

Is it self serving and keeping the cameras on Deion? 100% the underlying reason he's coaching, but he's possibly putting together the next generation of what college football becomes, whether we like it or not, an NFL developmental league less based on school and more based on getting kids to the next level.

It's actually not excuses. We're still sanctioned both visits and scholarships. It's reality.

The 10-2 was an amazing, magical year but it wasn't sustainable. It was a tremendous coaching effort by our staff AND some totally unexpected....... let's try reality, TOTALLY UNEXPECTED....... personal performances and abilities by Hooker, Hyatt, and Tillman.

Zero people saw that coming. ZERO. Stop insisting: it wasn't ashes. It was. It was great and fun, but it was nowhere near expected, nor sustainable from where the program is with the losses we sustained and the sanctions.

I'm not saying we're trash. I'm saying we're STILL REBUILDING and on an upward, not downward, trend. The very worst thing that could happen to a rebuilding program was what happened: we had a magical, off the charts successful, completely unexpected and unsustainable recovery year.

Now, let's get back to reality and the nuts, bolts, and grease of the hard work of rebuilding and accept it for what it is: working up from out of a hole Pruitt left us in.
If you go find my posts I knew it was possible because of good Qb play elevates the players around him and hides some weaknesses.. and when I speak on Nico it’s much more about what I saw in his limited action this year than his HS ranking… Heup and hazle has literally never had a bad Qb year in like 16 years… joe was the worst and he still had a respectable year… Nico is likely his most naturally gifted Qb he has ever signed I’m not worried just make sure you enjoy this ride we about to go on we deserve these years with Nico… he is about to light the nation up.

You don't go 10-2 with ashes. Period. Key pieces were in place in Huepel's second year on offense that made us absolutely primed to win shootouts with Huepel still new on the SEC scene scheme. Ashes doesn't include Heisman potential QBs, numerous quality WRs (including the best WR in the nation that year), multiple solid RBs, a top tier OT anchoring the line.
As I said, NO ONE IN AMERICA saw UT having the run it had. It was magic.

Saying "we developed it that way" is crazy.

It was a great coaching, team building, and family creating job Heupel and Co accomplished. Absolutely fabulous.

It was a tremendous personal and collective effort from a team that was truly cobbled together, playing freaking dodgeball to develop into a unit for God's Sake, and completely bought in.

There was some incredible development and effort from several guys personally which lifted them to the league.

But it was: ashes. 30+ guys gone after 2020. Multiple sanctions. New AD, new coaches, etc in 2021. Ashes.

As I said, NO ONE IN AMERICA saw UT having the run it had. It was magic.

Saying "we developed it that way" is crazy.

It was a great coaching, team building, and family creating job Heupel and Co accomplished. Absolutely fabulous.

It was a tremendous personal and collective effort from a team that was truly cobbled together, playing freaking dodgeball to develop into a unit for God's Sake, and completely bought in.

There was some incredible development and effort from several guys personally which lifted them to the league.

But it was: ashes. 30+ guys gone after 2020. Multiple sanctions. New AD, new coaches, etc in 2021. Ashes.
We will just have to disagree. Plenty of people thought 9-3 was realistic. We just happened to beat Bama in a shootout with our top tier WR and QB that were nothing but ashes ;) to make it 10-2.

If you go find my posts I knew it was possible because of good Qb play elevates the players around him and hides some weaknesses.. and when I speak on Nico it’s much more about what I saw in his limited action this year than his HS ranking… Heup and hazle has literally never had a bad Qb year in like 16 years… joe was the worst and he still had a respectable year… Nico is likely his most naturally gifted Qb he has ever signed I’m not worried just make sure you enjoy this ride we about to go on we deserve these years with Nico… he is about to light the nation up.
I'm not dissing the job Heupel did but it's incredibly ridiculous to suggest we had the tools to make the 10-2 run we made.

We'd lost to much. It was too soon. It was amazing. I loved it. I'll love it if Nico is incredible AND we're in better shape now, IMO, than we were in 2021.

All I'm asking is: reality. We're not going to have 10-2 runs on the regular until we get some more years of stability and to insist "Heupel's seat gets warm if we go 8-4 or 9-3 this year" is crazy.

At least let the damn sanctions stop before we fire up the bus to toss him under. Jeez.

Deion is realizing that promoting his boys and getting and coaching up blue chip NFL prospects is good for his brand.

Is it self serving and keeping the cameras on Deion? 100% the underlying reason he's coaching, but he's possibly putting together the next generation of what college football becomes, whether we like it or not, an NFL developmental league less based on school and more based on getting kids to the next level.
To Deion Colorado is just another Aflac commercial. You get into the league if your good. No coach not even Saint Nick is getting people in who don't deserve to be there. One player on his present team will be drafted and he would have been no matter who was his coach.

To Deion Colorado is just another Aflac commercial. You get into the league if your good. No coach not even Saint Nick is getting people in who don't deserve to be there. One player on his present team will be drafted and he would have been no matter who was his coach.
But, as we've seen, Deion is getting guys who have no business going to CO, to go to CO.

I'm not saying he'll be successful but I think that's his way of self-promoting now. If he can keep getting blue chip guys to CO, keep getting money into Boulder, keep getting on TV to say "we're building something different here"....... his job is done.

He's on TV. He's still in football. He can get more commercials. Boulder gets money.

It's not my idea of a great life, but Deion likes the sound of Deion and I can't see anyone getting hurt by what he's doing........yet.

From what i have read, we are really tight on numbers. So the staff is being very selective in the portal. Also, Kiffin is taking everything he can get because Ole Miss cannot compete on the high school recruiting trail with the likes of Alabama and Georgia. What should be noted aswell is what Kiffin is doing isnt sustainable.
No one wants to talk about the points you bring up. Sure the names and rankings are flashy, but in the long run, it does nothing to set Ole Miss for long term success. Of the two, I’d much rather be in CJH’s recruiting plan.

Reactions: Snapper58 and aRmo
But, as we've seen, Deion is getting guys who have no business going to CO, to go to CO.

I'm not saying he'll be successful but I think that's his way of self-promoting now. If he can keep getting blue chip guys to CO, keep getting money into Boulder, keep getting on TV to say "we're building something different here"....... his job is done.

He's on TV. He's still in football. He can get more commercials. Boulder gets money.

It's not my idea of a great life, but Deion likes the sound of Deion and I can't see anyone getting hurt by what he's doing........yet.
Til he bails and Colorado goes back to being irrelevant Colorado. At least they will have had their moment in the sun. Jackson State knows how they will feel.

Realistic but unpopular truth is that Colorado would have probably done the same with the old roster.
Realistic by what measure?.. ok quick questions name one player that left from that 1 win Colorado team that went to someone else and did something of note.

QB JT Shrout (leading passer) Familiar name went to Arkansas State and threw for 227 yards and 2picks
Owen Mccown his backup did slightly better at UTSA 191yards 2 td 1 int

RB Deion Smith (leading rusher) BYU 64 yards 1 td the 2 backup RB's stayed or graduated

WR lead WR Jordyn Tyson Arizona State no stats
second guy Monta Craig went to Arizona and caught 27 balls for 291 yards 3tds this is the only guy so far thats contributed anything

Tight end graduated

Now youre telling me that JT Shrout with that oline.. actually what would have been a worse one because they actually improved it from what it was would have done the same or better in what universe? Deion Sanders brought in legit NFL talent with him and all of them proved themselves out save the one CB recruit. I would say that the team was better than its record. Take away the Oregon (who blew out everyone except for Washington) game and the Washington State game (the one Sheduer was knocked out of) All their other games were close. In fact 5 of their 8 losses were within 7 points or less and one was 12 points. 2022 the only game that was within a single score was the single game they won. On average, they lost by like over 30 29 if you count their win. 2023 they lost by an average of 7 points (6.67 to be exact). That is a huge swing. Getting blown out in 2 games vs getting blown out in 10...note Oregon scored 31 or more points in every game they played this year and dropped 81 clearing the bench...

context is very important but folks don't seem to care about that. That's how teams sneak up on you. All losing seasons are not the same sometimes it's about how you lose.

Til he bails and Colorado goes back to being irrelevant Colorado. At least they will have had their moment in the sun. Jackson State knows how they will feel.
CO has gotten their money out of him. They were 1-11. They took flash over substance but it was a win-win. Deion got to be Deion, Boulder got a ton of money and entertained the students, Deion's players got exposure.

No one got hurt by Deion going to CO except Jackson State, but hell....... who'd heard of Jackson State before Deion got there that didn't already follow HBCU ball?

He's not really hurting things and he's certainly not hurting his own brand. It's a sideshow but he's not out there ruining careers or programs, IMO.

Truth again he is not a good in game coach and as far as a leader of men, his team was undisciplined and out of control. Now that he has lost most of his assistants you will see who was doing the heavy lifting.
He lost really 2-3 assitants the others were let go
OC Sean Lewis.. replaced by Pat Shurmur.. clear upgrade. Lewis was replaced by Shurmur during the season
Defensive ends coach Nick Williams was pushed out to be replaced by Warren Sapp...
Oline coach Bill O’Boyle getting replaced by Phil Loadholt cant get worse here everyone knew he was gonna get fired.

the ones that 'left'
Darian Hagan leaving to be SDSU’s running backs coach was a holdover because he was alumni and had very few responsibilities outside of recruiting. his role was ambassador.
Tight ends coach Tim Brewster’s resigned because he was demoted to an analyst when they brought in Shurmur.

So the reality is he pushed coaches out or fired them....facts trump fiction.

Realistic by what measure?.. ok quick questions name one player that left from that 1 win Colorado team that went to someone else and did something of note.

QB JT Shrout (leading passer) Familiar name went to Arkansas State and threw for 227 yards and 2picks
Owen Mccown his backup did slightly better at UTSA 191yards 2 td 1 int

RB Deion Smith (leading rusher) BYU 64 yards 1 td the 2 backup RB's stayed or graduated

WR lead WR Jordyn Tyson Arizona State no stats
second guy Monta Craig went to Arizona and caught 27 balls for 291 yards 3tds this is the only guy so far thats contributed anything

Tight end graduated

Now youre telling me that JT Shrout with that oline.. actually what would have been a worse one because they actually improved it from what it was would have done the same or better in what universe? Deion Sanders brought in legit NFL talent with him and all of them proved themselves out save the one CB recruit. I would say that the team was better than its record. Take away the Oregon (who blew out everyone except for Washington) game and the Washington State game (the one Sheduer was knocked out of) All their other games were close. In fact 5 of their 8 losses were within 7 points or less and one was 12 points. 2022 the only game that was within a single score was the single game they won. On average, they lost by like over 30 29 if you count their win. 2023 they lost by an average of 7 points (6.67 to be exact). That is a huge swing. Getting blown out in 2 games vs getting blown out in 10...note Oregon scored 31 or more points in every game they played this year and dropped 81 clearing the bench...

context is very important but folks don't seem to care about that. That's how teams sneak up on you. All losing seasons are not the same sometimes it's about how you lose.
Yeah, I see, They lost real gooderer so Deion did a great job. They lost hard to anyone of consequence. So would have last year's team.

CO has gotten their money out of him. They were 1-11. They took flash over substance but it was a win-win. Deion got to be Deion, Boulder got a ton of money and entertained the students, Deion's players got exposure.

No one got hurt by Deion going to CO except Jackson State, but hell....... who'd heard of Jackson State before Deion got there that didn't already follow HBCU ball?

He's not really hurting things and he's certainly not hurting his own brand. It's a sideshow but he's not out there ruining careers or programs, IMO.
Bottom line, and no one has made any point to prove otherwise, Deion is not a good football coach. Salesman yes, football coach no. And he has not revolutionized football, Lane (who is a good coach) will prove that next year.

Bottom line, and no one has made any point to prove otherwise, Deion is not a good football coach. Salesman yes, football coach no. And he has not revolutionized football, Lane (who is a good coach) will prove that next year.
He's not a good coach but anyone who followed football and certainly anyone who coaches at the D1 level knew that before he started at Jackson State, much less CO. Deion is a showman, but he took a lousy CO program and made it....... still lousy, but lucrative.

As for Lane, I'll stand on my belief that he's trying to work the portal, NIL, etc to show Bama that he's the guy to replace Saban. And, whether that's a good career move or not, I think that's Lane's goal.

MAYBE he wants to be the Bama coach AFTER Dabo fails there. I don't know. Honestly, all I care about is that Father Time and Miss Terry tell Nick to go play more golf and fish.

Yeah, I see, They lost real gooderer so Deion did a great job. They lost hard to anyone of consequence. So would have last year's team.
Bro they went from 1-11.. every team they lost to this year was at some point ranked. They beat the brakes off TCU who played in the national championship last year. Anyone thinking they were gonna go from 1-11 to a bowl game was on crack because they were a bad 1-11 they went from that to a 4-8 team that was in all but 2 games till the end. that is a huge deal. think of it like this 2022 most games were over by the end of first quarter...this season most games they lost came down to the last play. They just replaced the problem an Oline that gave up over 50 sacks and couldn't run block worth a crap. They also added one of the better WR's from the SEC this year to a very talented WR room.

He's not a good coach but anyone who followed football and certainly anyone who coaches at the D1 level knew that before he started at Jackson State, much less CO. Deion is a showman, but he took a lousy CO program and made it....... still lousy, but lucrative.

As for Lane, I'll stand on my belief that he's trying to work the portal, NIL, etc to show Bama that he's the guy to replace Saban. And, whether that's a good career move or not, I think that's Lane's goal.

MAYBE he wants to be the Bama coach AFTER Dabo fails there. I don't know. Honestly, all I care about is that Father Time and Miss Terry tell Nick to go play more golf and fish.

Yes to your point about KIffin. Several have posted on here, correctly, that his recruiting method is not sustainable for long term success. I don't believe he is concerned about either of those things because his goal is success now looking for the next big jump to the elite school, wherever that may be.

I think Ole Mis has always been just a temporary stop for his greater goal. Not sure following Saban would be a good idea as the bar is so high there. My Bama friends here think he could be the next one. Should be interesting.

Yes to your point about KIffin. Several have posted on here, correctly, that his recruiting method is not sustainable for long term success. I don't believe he is concerned about either of those things because his goal is success now looking for the next big jump to the elite school, wherever that may be.

I think Ole Mis has always been just a temporary stop for his greater goal. Not sure following Saban would be a good idea as the bar is so high there. My Bama friends here think he could be the next one. Should be interesting.
If Kiffin makes a run, looks good as a coach, etc maybe it's the NFL he's looking at?

I don't know the guy, nor care much, but he's a smoother Deion. He's always promoting Lane, he's just less "in your face" about it. His trolling, his recruiting this year, his entire career has been about moving his name into the limelight. He's been moving toward something his entire career as a coach.

For sure, Ole Miss is not the goal. TN wasn't the goal either. What is? I'd kind of like to see him follow Saban and just get savaged when he can't beat Kirby and very possibly not Kelly nor Heupel either consistently.

I'm just petty like that.

I agree with all that. I would say Deion and Lane have a lot in common but Lane is a legitimate football coach. I think Lane is angling for a gig somewhere in the state of Florida, Miami would be probably his ideal but he would take Florida.

Bro they went from 1-11.. every team they lost to this year was at some point ranked. They beat the brakes off TCU who played in the national championship last year. Anyone thinking they were gonna go from 1-11 to a bowl game was on crack because they were a bad 1-11 they went from that to a 4-8 team that was in all but 2 games till the end. that is a huge deal. think of it like this 2022 most games were over by the end of first quarter...this season most games they lost came down to the last play. They just replaced the problem an Oline that gave up over 50 sacks and couldn't run block worth a crap. They also added one of the better WR's from the SEC this year to a very talented WR room.
TCU went 5-7 this season. No one thought they would be very good based on their roster

Golesh took a 1-11 team to bowl eligible in 1 year. Would their fans be on crack to have expected that?

TCU wasn't the TCU of the year before and CU beat three not good teams. In the end he made publicity and money for CU. If he had taken them to a bowl I would have to have given him credit. Next year I'd say they will be good to repeat the 4 wins.

VN Store

Back