Nitpicking the Nooga Game

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
More than likely, I'm putting a target on my back. Don't care, being honest, sides, I like creative responses Vols fans give.

NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.
NP2 - Our WRs, dang! They have glue hands, including catching balls when tightly covered. BUT seem too easily brought down afterward.
NP3 - Our DBs still seem to let opponents catch passes a bitt too easily. BUT, they also seem to tackle better.

Something I liked - Apparently, seating area with chairs don't attract bipedal whales. If factual, Shirley and just might start attending games again.
Something I LOVED - It's so great seeing our boys having fun again playing the game. They keep it up, they'll surely cure BVS.
1725218783681.jpeg

More than likely, I'm putting a target on my back. Don't care, being honest, sides, I like creative responses Vols fans give.

NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.
NP2 - Our WRs, dang! They have glue hands, including catching balls when tightly covered. BUT seem too easily brought down afterward.
NP3 - Our DBs still seem to let opponents catch passes a bitt too easily. BUT, they also seem to tackle better.

Something I liked - Apparently, seating area with chairs don't attract bipedal whales. If factual, Shirley and just might start attending games again.
Something I LOVED - It's so great seeing our boys having fun again playing the game. They keep it up, they'll surely cure BVS.
View attachment 672529
Good call if you're begging for attention

As happy as I am about how the offense performed, the lack of breakaway speed did stand out, particularly with Thornton. I would like to think Squirrel and Mike Matthews will be the closest thing to Hyatt we will have this year in terms of breakaway speed.

The operative word is "IF", the answer is, I'm not. I'm offbeat, daring, and admittedly hebephrenic, but don't beg for attention.
Next comment.
This collection of receivers are as good as we've had in my lifetime, IMO. As a fan, I go back to the late 60s. Seems like every one of them has great hands. Nico throws ropes and darts, but hits them on target and in stride

NP1- Thornton broke away on the slant TD
NP2- Bru Mcoy is still catching 1 yard passes and dragging guys for 9 extra yards
NP- 153 passing yards allowed is suffocating pass defense in today's era.

If you wanted to nitpick the WR's, the only complaints would be a couple lazy routes. One should have been a long TD and the other was an Int.

As happy as I am about how the offense performed, the lack of breakaway speed did stand out, particularly with Thornton. I would like to think Squirrel and Mike Matthews will be the closest thing to Hyatt we will have this year in terms of breakaway speed.
Thornton is a 4.4 guy which is definitely fast enough to stretch the field. Who knows what that DB runs that tracked him down

NP1- Thornton broke away on the slant TD
NP2- Bru Mcoy is still catching 1 yard passes and dragging guys for 9 extra yards
NP- 153 passing yards allowed is suffocating pass defense in today's era.

If you wanted to nitpick the WR's, the only complaints would be a couple lazy routes. One should have been a long TD and the other was an Int.
I did want to nitpick. I did nitpick. And they were my nits to pick. You'll have pick your own nits. Cause I ain't sharing mine.
:cool:

UT was so vanilla in the playcalling that they might as well have told UTC what was coming- and still posted over 700 yds of O. You know that it was hard to take UTC serious and especially after getting up 24-0 and being virtually unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

NP1- I'll take it every day vs WRs that have speed but can't get open.
NP2- Didn't really notice that. Bru broke some tackles. I believe Webb or someone made some nifty moves too. And... maybe this wasn't the game for them to spend their bodies taking extra contact?
NP3- True... and still irritating. Withholding judgment until they play an opponent that merits more exotic coverages and pressures.

I recall Larry Seivers also not having great breakaway speed. But he could get open and catch the ball.
These guys are absolute blazers compared to Larry Seivers. That being said, Seivers would have been better off being as great as he was 25 years later. Back then if you didn't run at least a 4.5, you didn't get a chance in the NFL at WR. Seivers made every catch. Simple to extraordinarily difficult. Throw it up in the end zone to him and it was 6. Throw it down field into double coverage, it was FIRST DOWN

View attachment 672529
Why?

The blocked punt actually rolled on the ground for a good 15 yards or so before anybody could be bothered to pick it up. Then instead of running at full speed into the end zone with the ball, it was more an expedited jog to the goal line.

View attachment 672529
And our water boys just plain suck, so God only knows how poor our shower disciple is! We should just write this season off!

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Only thing I'm worried about is the secondary and how they hold up in a game where it's gonna really matter. Can't conclude anything from this game, I think we'll get a better feel after this next one. The. DL will need to really show up in about 3 games. I think we can outscore anyone else we play.

Reactions: savannahfan
As most people knew, there's just not much to gain from a game like that. The great news is that everything came so easy on both sides of the ball that you're left thinking "this could be a special season". My guess is that the coaches are finding plenty to correct and next week will bring us some "concerns" to discuss. Football seasons can be very bi-polar. Buckle up.

VN Store

Back