Nitpicking the Nooga Game

Did Pearce play? No stats. I was thinking 4 sacks minimum….
Someone earlier said he was in for 10 plays, that's all. I don't think the coaches wanted to take a chance on him getting hurt since we really didn't need his skills against this team plus it gave experience to the guys that do need the game time experience. Seems like a smart move to me.

Thornton is a 4.4 guy which is definitely fast enough to stretch the field. Who knows what that DB runs that tracked him down
If you recall last season, Thornton couldn’t catch. He improved as the year went along but he does not have the hands of Bru, Hyatt, Tillman, etc. Much better yesterday and it’s very encouraging but I’ll bet you that “catching the ball first” is a point of emphasis with Kelsey. Point is, I don’t think he’s full speed yet. If he keeps it up, I think he’ll be plenty explosive.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
My nitpick: D line didn’t play bad by any means but expected more sacks/TFL out of this group.
Number of sacks may go down compared to last year. OCs will scheme to not let JP beat them. If you look at UGa last year, teams’ game plans were quick passes to avoid pass rush. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that against us this year. Show of respect and makes DBs job easier.

Reactions: HalfullVol
As happy as I am about how the offense performed, the lack of breakaway speed did stand out, particularly with Thornton. I would like to think Squirrel and Mike Matthews will be the closest thing to Hyatt we will have this year in terms of breakaway speed.
Thornton caught that ball in stride and made it to the endzone just fine. He almost dropped that ball that was put in the breadbasket. I think it surprised him. lol.

I heard someone on Basilios show saying chatt was cut blocking so they took him out the game.

More than likely, I'm putting a target on my back. Don't care, being honest, sides, I like creative responses Vols fans give.

NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.
NP2 - Our WRs, dang! They have glue hands, including catching balls when tightly covered. BUT seem too easily brought down afterward.
NP3 - Our DBs still seem to let opponents catch passes a bitt too easily. BUT, they also seem to tackle better.

Something I liked - Apparently, seating area with chairs don't attract bipedal whales. If factual, Shirley and just might start attending games again.
Something I LOVED - It's so great seeing our boys having fun again playing the game. They keep it up, they'll surely cure BVS.
View attachment 672529
I'll agree with this. O line may have some trouble against better competition too.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
The best things to come out of the UTC game were no injuries and a blowout win allowing Josh to empty the bench. Being able to see the high quality depth we finally have in game action was as big as anything else on Saturday.

We saw confirmation that Nico is the real deal, that Sampson is going to be a major stud, and the D-Line will be a bear for anyone on the schedule to deal with. But we also saw that we are deep and talented at RB and WR, and that we have a TE who will be a big part of the offense as we move forward.

The botched 2-minute drill might have been a blessing in disguise. I attribute it to a brief loss of focus with a 45-0 lead, but you could see Josh was hot at halftime and it gives the staff something tangible to keep the team from getting cocky after a win like that, although this group doesn't look like that could ever happen, especially with the leadership on both sides of the ball.

Only thing I'm worried about is the secondary and how they hold up in a game where it's gonna really matter. Can't conclude anything from this game, I think we'll get a better feel after this next one. The. DL will need to really show up in about 3 games. I think we can outscore anyone else we play.
Pass pro is a concern on the left side but I think Heard will be significantly better by midseason.

If you recall last season, Thornton couldn’t catch. He improved as the year went along but he does not have the hands of Bru, Hyatt, Tillman, etc. Much better yesterday and it’s very encouraging but I’ll bet you that “catching the ball first” is a point of emphasis with Kelsey. Point is, I don’t think he’s full speed yet. If he keeps it up, I think he’ll be plenty explosive.
Not sure he couldn't catch because he caught it just fine at Oregon. It looked like ALL our WR's couldn't catch passes from Milton last year with the exception of Bru who is like freaking Megatron. Hyatt & Tillman didn't have to deal with his arm.

More than likely, I'm putting a target on my back. Don't care, being honest, sides, I like creative responses Vols fans give.

NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.
NP2 - Our WRs, dang! They have glue hands, including catching balls when tightly covered. BUT seem too easily brought down afterward.
NP3 - Our DBs still seem to let opponents catch passes a bitt too easily. BUT, they also seem to tackle better.

Something I liked - Apparently, seating area with chairs don't attract bipedal whales. If factual, Shirley and just might start attending games again.
Something I LOVED - It's so great seeing our boys having fun again playing the game. They keep it up, they'll surely cure BVS.
View attachment 672529
I’m sure there are teams that have won the NC without a Hyatt.

Nitpickers gonna pick nits, nitpickers with wit gonna pick nits too, but are those pickers witnitpickers or nitwitpickers? Asking for a friend.
Yep. I was disappointed that our offense stumbled in the first and second quarters a that the defense did not score 4 orb5 TDs. Oh, and the special teams did not have 8 tackles on kickoffs which forced fumbles which were returned for TDs; oh, I guess that was impossible because all the kickoffs were through the end zone

I forgot to mention that we did not complete all of our passes for TDs. That is all I can complain about. You would expect we could do better in the season opener with only scoring 69 points and our defense gave up a whopping 3 points. Disgraceful

Reactions: WillisWG
Did anybody, I mean anybody, say being Hyatt-less we wouldn't win?

You, I mean you said “NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.”

With receivers that run a 4.4 or less, you are essentially Implying a Hyatt. When I say “a” Hyatt, I am clearly talking about a comparable receiver in speed. Since speed is the topic at hand.

You don’t just go and find break away speed. So this implies we don’t have it. Separation is more difficult anyways, because it has a lot to do with technique whereas break away speed mostly entails turning on the jets after the catch.

Regardless, upon further review, we have at least two receivers that run a 4.4 or less, we have break away speed.

You, I mean you said “NP1 - Our WRs appear to be darn good at getting separation. BUT (you knew it was coming) they showed no breakaway speed post catch.”

With receivers that run a 4.4 or less, you are essentially Implying a Hyatt. When I say “a” Hyatt, I am clearly talking about a comparable receiver in speed. Since speed is the topic at hand.

You don’t just go and find break away speed. So this implies we don’t have it. Separation is more difficult anyways, because it has a lot to do with technique whereas break away speed mostly entails turning on the jets after the catch.

Regardless, upon further review, we have at least two receivers that run a 4.4 or less, we have break away speed.
I say a lot of things, but I didn't say without a Hyatt, we can't win. Two trails in the verbal woods, and I, never take the self-defeatist one. Cause, we're the Vols dammit!
1725289478652.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back